JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #1,036 of 4,826
For now.
Like I said, I think I would like a thicker pad that gives just 2 or 3 mm distance between ear and driver, but I don't know if such a pad exists.  Also, I don't want to keep switching pads for testing purposes. This is sounding pretty sweet right now and without fatigue. Huge bass without fatigue is a real first for me, so I am happy.

Jazz also sounds just excellent on these.
I noticed in some of those slides in Japanese that someone posted somewhere indicated that part of the design behind this was to make it sound like you were in listening in a smallish, live environment. It ruins some genres, but I can see what they were going for when listening to jazz.

Anyway, my total system now, including the pads as the final touch, really work together. I don't feel the need to bother researching or trying out other stuff right now. These phones by themselves are definitely a lump of coal that takes some serious refinement to make into a usable diamond.
Too bad for the guys that didn't take the time or effort to do so and just sold them off.

With that, I will definitely have to disagree with you and say that these are NOT specific to hip hop.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #1,037 of 4,826
  For now.
Like I said, I think I would like a thicker pad that gives just 2 or 3 mm distance between ear and driver, but I don't know if such a pad exists.  Also, I don't want to keep switching pads for testing purposes. This is sounding pretty sweet right now and without fatigue. Huge bass without fatigue is a real first for me, so I am happy.

Jazz also sounds just excellent on these.
I noticed in some of those slides in Japanese that someone posted somewhere indicated that part of the design behind this was to make it sound like you were in listening in a smallish, live environment. It ruins some genres, but I can see what they were going for when listening to jazz.

Anyway, my total system now, including the pads as the final touch, really work together. I don't feel the need to bother researching or trying out other stuff right now. These phones by themselves are definitely a lump of coal that takes some serious refinement to make into a usable diamond.
Too bad for the guys that didn't take the time or effort to do so and just sold them off.

With that, I will definitely have to disagree with you and say that these are NOT specific to hip hop.

Amen.
Jazz....very intimate music that sounds epic on these.
I'm the guy that puts up the original engineer quotes about simulating floor speakers as a goal and thereby a club enviroment and explains the "Live Beat" market tag on these.

I also feel bad for folks who sold these off.

$250 bucks for hard shelled dual driver cannons with a rubber band eq line you can pull and bend on??
These are diamonds in the rough.
I quite enjoyed polishing mine up.
Enjoyed it very much indeed.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,038 of 4,826
Amen.
Jazz....very intimate music that sounds epic on these.
I'm the guy that puts up the original engineer quotes about simulating floor speakers as a goal and thereby a club enviroment and explains the "Live Beat" market tag on these.

I also feel bad for folks who sold these off.

$250 bucks for hard shelled dual driver cannons with a rubber band eq line you can pull and bend on??
These are diamonds in the rough.
I quite enjoyed polishing mine up.
Enjoyed it very much indeed.

I have an old hockey jersey I might try to sell to get these. Anyone heard of Jimmy Needham. I love listening to his hymes session album in my cans.

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,040 of 4,826
After much lurking I've finally decided to purchase a pair of these, are these still the go to cans for the price or has anything better come out? Also I know next to nothing about amps but I'm assuming it would be wise to get one along with these cans, anyone got any good recommendations for a affordable portable amp?

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,041 of 4,826
I wonder if any cans with better bass will ever be released again after JVC inevitably cancels the product. Perhaps we should all buy multiple backups and stick them in the attic? Sigh.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,042 of 4,826
After much lurking I've finally decided to purchase a pair of these, are these still the go to cans for the price or has anything better come out? Also I know next to nothing about amps but I'm assuming it would be wise to get one along with these cans, anyone got any good recommendations for a affordable portable amp?

I wonder if any cans with better bass will ever be released again after JVC inevitably cancels the product. Perhaps we should all buy multiple backups and stick them in the attic? Sigh.
well... I think jvc has seen a ton of new customers as of late for the sz2000's thanks to Hawaii... And what do you mean by affordable? I'd have to suggest the fiio e12 for 120$, or the objective 2 if you don't mind that its a bit bigger and doesn't have built in bass boost... The objective 2 will be cleaner and more analytical, but is about the size of a paperback Harry Potter book. The e12 is a lot smaller from my understanding.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,043 of 4,826

In Europe, they are still on sale. Maybe they were only discontinued in the US.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,044 of 4,826
In Europe, they are still on sale. Maybe they were only discontinued in the US.
he said WHEN they discontinue it (which I don't think they will... Jvc hasn't been known to make good business decisions even if it will get them more money... I think they have a dead monkey as their marketing head.)

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,045 of 4,826

I have been giving this some serious consideration since I think they are selling backstock and the Head-Fi effect is causing purchases by folks who lurk.
I am probably going to get a 2nd set.

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,046 of 4,826
Has it been actually released in Europe (rather than available via Japanese sellers)? I thought it was only "released" in Japan... thankfully in the days of internet shopping there's not much difference.

Given the technical abilities of these headphones, I think that a re-tune and new pads will really make these real contenders in the busy headphones marketplace. I wonder if these will ever be released in other markets.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #1,047 of 4,826
Yes it has been released in europe. i got mine from a german dealer for 250 Euro. Amazon germany also has them in stock. Pad change is unneccessary, stock pads are great, this is just a typical head-fi thing. Ppl here like modding their stuff with unpredictable outcomes. However EQ is recommended.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #1,048 of 4,826
Yes it has been released in europe. i got mine from a german dealer for 250 Euro. Amazon germany also has them in stock. Pad change is unneccessary, stock pads are great, this is just a typical head-fi thing. Ppl here like modding their stuff with unpredictable outcomes. However EQ is recommended.

You mean the horrific stock pads that jam the drivers right up against your ears and leave large gaps between your head and the pads that you can stick a finger through? Right...

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #1,050 of 4,826

You mean the horrific stock pads that jam the drivers right up against your ears and leave large gaps between your head and the pads that you can stick a finger through? Right...

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back