JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
May 30, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #1,021 of 4,826
  Nipponbiki, JRiver supports VST plugins, so you can use any of the many VST EQ plugins however you want. I use FabFilter Pro-Q, which is expensive but absolutely the best.

Stereolab42,

Yeah, I know, I downloaded the trial version of Gliss to give some kind of visualization, and then make changes to the built-in PEQ.
I just wish there was a reasonably priced VST that was made for something like J River, which is a media player, as those nice but expensive VSTs are mostly for media producers.

May 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,022 of 4,826
  Stereolab42,

Yeah, I know, I downloaded the trial version of Gliss to give some kind of visualization, and then make changes to the built-in PEQ.
I just wish there was a reasonably priced VST that was made for something like J River, which is a media player, as those nice but expensive VSTs are mostly for media producers.

There are plenty of free VST EQs. None as fancy as the ones you pay for but they get the job done. Just Google.

May 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,023 of 4,826
What i love about these cans, the bass truely never gets in the way of the mids no matter how much you boost it. I EQd some clarity into the mids and they always stay clear thanks to the 2 driver setup. This is probably the only headphone to achieve this. When i bass boost my other current headphone the Focal spirit pro the mids suffer even with small boosts.

May 31, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,024 of 4,826
I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for a VST designed for media consumption, say 30 ish?
The one that looks really cool with dynamic EQ is like 200 dollars, which is great and probably worth it for producers, but overkill for just listening to music through J River.
Is there anything like this available that you know of?

May 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,026 of 4,826
After my Xperia Z got stolen i got myself the Moto G as an emergency phone today. The headphone out on that phone sounds alot better than my old Sony DAP. The JVC sounds good even without EQ. Cant wait to get the NWZ-F886.

PS: Is there an Android Player with good EQ? I tried Neutron and Poweramp but the EQ on those is alot worse to what Sony has to offer.

May 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #1,027 of 4,826
After my Xperia Z got stolen i got myself the Moto G as an emergency phone today. The headphone out on that phone sounds alot better than my old Sony DAP. The JVC sounds good even without EQ. Cant wait to get the NWZ-F886.

PS: Is there an Android Player with good EQ? I tried Neutron and Poweramp but the EQ on those is alot worse to what Sony has to offer.
HTC One M8 is so far one of the top 2 Droids for sound quality, and it boasts the most powerful internal amplifier of any phone so far at 1.3 Volts. IPhone is 1.1 Volts, Samsung GS4 is about 0.3 Volts, Samsung GS5 is 0.43 Volts, Nokia Lumia 925 is 0.54 Volts, and Moto g is 0.53 volts

May 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #1,028 of 4,826
Hey guys,

I finally received the replacement pads and put them on. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be, and I feel like the fit isn't secure and it will come off sooner or later. There is another guy who tried these Beyer velors and posted pics of the fit.
If you read this, can you comment on whether or not they come off?

Also, with you guys saying the biggest reason to get replacement pads was to get the drivers off the ears, but I don't think there is any difference between stock pads and these Beyers in that regard though I did roll up some tissue and stuff in there for the stock pads like within the first 30 minutes of getting them. I have only been listening as long as it has taken me to type this message, but yeah, I think there is better isolation.  I was planning on doing some A|B comparisons, but I don't want to take these off again now that they are on. I feel doing that several times will damage the phones themselves with all the stress being put on joints from twisting the pads.

I do think I might prefer something just a tiny bit thicker that gives just 2-3 more mm of separation between ear and driver.

The challenge is will this help with fatigue?  I will find out in a few hours time.

May 31, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,029 of 4,826

The Electri-Q is free.
It's pretty cool...really cool for free.

Hey dude,

I just downloaded both versions of this and I am getting the same error message inside the plugin, which is output format not supported.
I just did a quick Google search and it seems this is a known bug with Electri-Q, so how did you get it to work?

May 31, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #1,030 of 4,826
Quick update on pads:  actually I don't think these Beyer velors help much with isolation, I can still hear my typing about as loudly as before with the stock pads. That is too bad.

May 31, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #1,031 of 4,826
Another quick update on pads: I am liking the slight change in sound signature. The bass is deeper, more controlled with some of that annoying mid-bass removed. I can turn the volume up loud enough to get neck-massaging bass that does not impact the rest of the frequency spectrum. With current EQ settings and setup (particularly this solid silver interconnect), I think I can enjoy these pretty much fatigue free though a bit early to say for that. I certainly have never enjoyed bass like this on headphones, and even with other setups, it is hard to get enough bass impact without fatigue.  Pretty cool so far.

Edited update:  I don't normally listen to so much progressive trance (it is just what has been randomly selected in J River), but dam, it has never sounded better. It is normally so hard to dig out that low bass material that you always just know would make the tracks better. 

May 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,032 of 4,826
  Hey dude,

I just downloaded both versions of this and I am getting the same error message inside the plugin, which is output format not supported.
I just did a quick Google search and it seems this is a known bug with Electri-Q, so how did you get it to work?

I just dragged and dropped the .dll file into Winamp's dsp folder and WinBee imports from Winamp

May 31, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,033 of 4,826
  Another quick update on pads: I am liking the slight change in sound signature. The bass is deeper, more controlled with some of that annoying mid-bass removed. I can turn the volume up loud enough to get neck-massaging bass that does not impact the rest of the frequency spectrum. With current EQ settings and setup (particularly this solid silver interconnect), I think I can enjoy these pretty much fatigue free though a bit early to say for that. I certainly have never enjoyed bass like this on headphones, and even with other setups, it is hard to get enough bass impact without fatigue.  Pretty cool so far.

Edited update:  I don't normally listen to so much progressive trance (it is just what has been randomly selected in J River), but dam, it has never sounded better. It is normally so hard to dig out that low bass material that you always just know would make the tracks better. 

The sz got you.
You don't own them
They own you
wink.gif

Embrace the bass....and the other stuff of course.
These are powerful
watch out for that hinge. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #1,034 of 4,826
Oh yes.
Chariots of Fire Theme (Vangelis) just came on, and even that song has a nice deep hit that sounds sooooo good on this setup.
No fatigue by the way today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back