JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,276 of 4,826
The 2000s were well received in the mini meet we had yesterday 
beyersmile.png

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,278 of 4,826
I mean, the -san after my name, and the little decoration thing?!?! Big difference from the last company, ABC Japan, or whatever.

So i plug the new headphones into the schiit, with no eq, and IMMEDIATELY there is better base than before. There was DEFINITELY something wrong with my last pair.

So I'll turn these up and see if there are any problems!

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,280 of 4,826
A NOTE TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN PUTTING ALPHA DOG PADS ON THE SZ1000 OR 2000

They require NO TOOLS to install.

They are easier to install than HM5 pads, due to being larger in diameter. They also transfer MORE vibration, and isolate BETTER than the HM5 pads.

The Alpha dog pads are also EXTREMELY comfortable. I have large ears, and a sensitive scalp... due to the much thicker pad, pressure on the top of my head is reduced, and my ears don't come in contact with the inner plastic shrouding.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,281 of 4,826
  Huh. So, with no burn in whatsoever, i can hear the drivers moving, in addition to the bass noises. I really hope this goes away with some use.

NOT Happy.

Like gelocks said before, are you sure it's not your Schiit amp or DAC?

For example in this thread the OP was describing a problem similar to yours with the Schiit Modi regarding a popping sound. There is also a problem when your soundcard/DAC is set to a sample rate much greater than the source file, such as a 44.1kHz file when your DAC is set to 192kHz. Schiit also has had a bad history with the Schiit Asgard amp physically damaging headphones because they didn't use relays.

Can you upload your source file to mediafire or something so we can check?

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,282 of 4,826
Like gelocks said before, are you sure it's not your Schiit amp or DAC?

For example in this thread the OP was describing a problem similar to yours with the Schiit Modi regarding a popping sound. There is also a problem when your soundcard/DAC is set to a sample rate much greater than the source file, such as a 44.1kHz file when your DAC is set to 192kHz. Schiit also has had a bad history with the Schiit Asgard amp physically damaging headphones because they didn't use relays.

Can you upload your source file to mediafire or something so we can check?
that video... I cringed... Who would do that to a k702? :frowning2:

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,283 of 4,826
Ok, so there is NO popping noises with these headphones, and I think the extra sounds i was worried about was because I was using sinegen, which I'm guessing is in a lower sound quality.

The bass test song i have, is playing well, with no extraneous noises! Yay! I think... :)

I did also check the driver settings, it's on 24 bit, 44100hz. 

I had ruled out the amp/dac with my brainwavz headphones, as they didn't have this issue. Although, I didn't listen to those with as much bass eq.

Thanks pocketsmiley for the detailed response, btw!

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #1,285 of 4,826
Just neutral will be fine.  I listen to celine dion, sarah brightman and such.  However, I just find out the sound of my sony mdr-v900 sounded just fine compare to their new sony MDR-1RNC, and as to the audio technica, I have  decided against it regardless.  Because w/ wood on the side, I can damage the side by  scratching it.  In my current headphone, in the  past 10 yr., I have impact the side at least 5 times that I can remember.  But because it's metal, there is no damage.  If it were wood though, scratching it or impact that piece of wood could smash that whole piece of wood off, or scratch the round surface, that would look ugly.  Then I guess I would have to look for spare part to replace the cone

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,288 of 4,826
I'm interested in the SZ1000/2000. Of those who own either of them has anyone tried EQ'ing away that mid/upper bass hump to see how it effects clarity? I have a Schiit Magni so I'm pretty sure I can drive them to their limits. I understand it's all about bass, but I'm a subbass-head, I like bass and clarity. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #1,289 of 4,826
  I've noticed that the SZ2000 have a brass cylinder which the SZ1000 doesn't have, so what kinda diffrence does it make? Does it add more bass, does it give better vibration? 

It keeps the bass note below 70Hz from bloating at high amp but also is a bit overpowering without eq skills. Most everyone with an sz is pretty skilled at eq'ing...which is cool
cool.gif

I'm interested in the SZ1000/2000. Of those who own either of them has anyone tried EQ'ing away that mid/upper bass hump to see how it effects clarity? I have a Schiit Magni so I'm pretty sure I can drive them to their limits. I understand it's all about bass, but I'm a subbass-head, I like bass and clarity. 
biggrin.gif

You can eq these to do whatever you like.
A pad change pretty fast esp w/the 2k would be strongly advised. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #1,290 of 4,826

You can eq these to do whatever you like.
A pad change pretty fast esp w/the 2k would be strongly advised. 

At 200$ for the SZ1000 it seems like quite the value for any basshead, probably is a good all arounder, too. I might get one to compliment my HE-400i when it arrives, if I feel the bass isn't enough. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back