JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #2,821 of 4,826
hey, i have no experience with the E10k, I think to drive them fully to get the best out of them portable, i think you need the E12 or the c5. I have the c5, its a beast of a portable amp

I didn't like the E10K with the SZ2000........felt it's not enough to enjoy it 100%...........I tried many amps and those i loved where for example C5,e12 and e18. I ended up buying a ibasso D14 which i love. I don't use hardware bass boost as with my viper4android on my android phone i can get what i like and it's the same using it on mac (i use boom 2 app) or pc ( i use equalizerAPO) 

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #2,823 of 4,826
Hey guys I am new to these neck of the woods and have a question that I've had great difficulty in finding an answer for. I recent purchased a pair of SZ2000S and to my dismay, they were delivered while at work and some schmuck (and I'm being very generous just calling him that) stole them from my front door.

Anyway I've noticed there is more than one version of these headphones. The one I originally purchased that was stolen were labeled as Z Series, and all I'm seeing online now are "Live Beats" and have been searching high and low to know what the difference is. My theory is one is maybe the Japanese version and the other non-japanese? One was made and another revision was made later in its production year 2013?

Is there a US version or no? I reported them stolen and have since got my money back but repurchasing these have become problemsome because I believe the z series are the ones I should get.

IDK how accurate this is but I saw somewhere that the z series ranged from 5-29k hz whereas the Live beats range from 4-35k hz. That's the only difference I seem to have come across

Please someone help a brotha out and give me the info I need. I just recently found a USED set of Z series located in Germany that are running right around the same price I paid for a brand new set which sucks. And that's not including a $40 shipping fee. I really don't want to have to purchase something used for more money than a new one w/o knowing which one is which.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2,824 of 4,826
Hey guys I am new to these neck of the woods and have a question that I've had great difficulty in finding an answer for. I recent purchased a pair of SZ2000S and to my dismay, they were delivered while at work and some schmuck (and I'm being very generous just calling him that) stole them from my front door.

Anyway I've noticed there is more than one version of these headphones. The one I originally purchased that was stolen were labeled as Z Series, and all I'm seeing online now are "Live Beats" and have been searching high and low to know what the difference is. My theory is one is maybe the Japanese version and the other non-japanese? One was made and another revision was made later in its production year 2013?

Is there a US version or no? I reported them stolen and have since got my money back but repurchasing these have become problemsome because I believe the z series are the ones I should get.

IDK how accurate this is but I saw somewhere that the z series ranged from 5-29k hz whereas the Live beats range from 4-35k hz. That's the only difference I seem to have come across

Please someone help a brotha out and give me the info I need. I just recently found a USED set of Z series located in Germany that are running right around the same price I paid for a brand new set which sucks. And that's not including a $40 shipping fee. I really don't want to have to purchase something used for more money than a new one w/o knowing which one is which.

The Japanese version says "Live Beat" I don't know of any differences besides a recent poster who opened up his bought in the E.U. and it has something soldered on the board where the wires terminate at the driver.
No idea what that is about?? JVC did some changes atleast for the set released in Europe.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #2,826 of 4,826
Is one any better than the other? Based purely off aesthetics I like "Z Series" look better. I'm just talking a put the label on the side of the cans.

So if I stick to Z Series and somehow find it, it's no different from the Live Beats, and if I have no luck just settle for the Live Beat but should be no difference in performance. Right?

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,827 of 4,826
Mine are from Japan and have "LIVE BEAT" written on the sides.
But that aside, I wanted to follow up a little on the crazy eq curve from the past as it now fits withn +/- 24db.
Basically I nearly flatened out the 14hz to 50hz and mucked a little with the resonance peaks and valleys at 6 and 8 khz.
Now I feel like I have a nearly flat eq with respect to my own ear's hearing ability.
This leads me to a genre that possibly no one has mentioned that is super awesome on these headphones: classical organ.
I find organ music to be unforgiving of cans with non-flat frequency response.
Look up E. Power Biggs - Tocatta F Major BWV540
It starts with a very low bass note and holds it for over 60 seconds while playing the higher frequency notes and runs up and down the scales.
If anything is missing in the frequency response, the music sounds lacking.
If the response is peaky in places it hurts the ears especially in the high frequency range.
EQ is a must, but will the cans handle the constant low frequencies in the sub 30hz range?
Yes, the SZ handles them like a champ.
The SZ can't give you the awe of a several story tall organ in a massive stone church, but it gets one step closer.
To compare I use an equally flat eq'ed pair of Beyer T1 and they win hands down in detail retrieval, but realistic lowest sub bass is 25hz(and that is a stretch), with the SZ it is 15hz (I can feel the air more than I can hear it).
For reference my SZ2000 is using the stock cable re-terminated to be balanced and amped by a Sony PHA-3 fed by usb from by windows box with equalization by Equalizer APO (free parametric eq).

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #2,828 of 4,826
The European version has a impedance circuit that limits the output to 100db.

There is no such requirement in the EU. Read the related docs and understand that this 100 dB limit describes sets of players and headphones (obviously - how can they else know when it will reach the 100 dB on whatever output?). And the phone is rated 108 dB SPL @ 1 mW, and that is not different between the Japanese and European version. And if you had both (like me) you knew they have the same loudness, both in standard usage as well as in extreme. The parts added inside are a simple crossover, not a 'limiter' of whatever kind.

So where is the source of your myth?

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #2,829 of 4,826
The one I originally purchased that was stolen were labeled as Z Series, and all I'm seeing online now are "Live Beats" and have been searching high and low to know what the difference is.

Maybe a bit more high and low next time
wink.gif

Posts 2715 and 2716 in this thread.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,831 of 4,826
But that aside, I wanted to follow up a little on the crazy eq curve from the past as it now fits withn +/- 24db.

Indeed I am fully happy with an EQ range of +-12 dB. Inverting the curve published by Golden Ears matched my hearing for linearity perfectly. I then raise the bass by +12 dB below 65 Hz to add slam, and that works perfectly. Giving another 6 dB already causes problems for the subwoofers in some of my test tracks (for example Reasons from Reazy Renegade, https://soundcloud.com/reazyrenegade/reasons-reazyrenegade ).

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,833 of 4,826

The Japanese version says "Live Beat" I don't know of any differences besides a recent poster who opened up his bought in the E.U. and it has something soldered on the board where the wires terminate at the driver.
No idea what that is about?? JVC did some changes atleast for the set released in Europe.

Europe has different requirements for manufacturing of electronic devices.  They have to be RoHS compliant which basically means no lead.  So maybe they had to reconfigure the layout to accommodate the lead free solders, mostly tin, which I believe require higher temperatures.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back