JVC HA-M750 - Any experiences with these?
Oct 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm a bit interested in these but there's hardly any info on them out there and I wouldn't want to end up buying another headphone that might just end up on the shelf (as I'm too lazy to sell lowcost headphones as there's hardly any profit to be made). Maybe at least some1 has to have tried them why I decided to create this thread.

Link: http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=95&modelId=MODL028574&page=1

Specs:

Driver Unit  1.57"(40mm) 
Magnet type  Neodymium 
Frequency Response  6-26,000Hz 
Nominal Impedance  32ohms 
Sensitivity  115dB/1mW 
Max. Input Capability  1000mW(IEC) 
Cord Length  3.94ft (1.2m) 
Weight (without cord)  8.54oz (242g) 
Plug  iPhone compatible, Gold Plated 
Accessory  6.3mm plug adaptor, 6.56ft (2m) extension cord 

Judging by the specs these are probably some very loud and efficient headphones that performs well without amping. By the little info that is out there these seems to have a strong and quite good extending bass presence with very forward mids. I'd be especially curious about bass extension and soundstage and isolation...

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Interesting on Amazon they say it is carbon diaphram.  I just ordered one. I will let you know how they are..

Thank you very much! :) What worries me is the soundstage and bass extension, I think those are the most likely factors where these headphones might perform subpar to what I was looking for. They seem to offer good isolation which would be a rather welcomed thing though but I always get suspicious when it comes to soundstage on a fully closed budget headphone, semi-closed have been proved to work better so.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 11
On an interesting note. I just gave a recommend to a guy that wanted a cheaper bassy phone. He says he is using one of these JVCs at the moment . Let me show you his thread. You can PM him. nvm.. the guys name is Ciaran Van Don http://www.head-fi.org/t/575519/best-bass-headphone-under-100 he is the one using the JVCs.. He seems to like them and looks like a basshead. he isnt the thread starter but it looks like he was browsing the threads and is on this thread. You can PM him and ask about the JVCs.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 11
A month late so you probably don't need this info anymore...

But they're pretty nice. A little on the heavy side for me. They do hurt my ear with prolonged wear though; I have yet to try with different cups. Removing the foam rings under the cups help a bunch. For short periods they are really comfortable though.

Yes, they're loud. They are the loudest of what I own. I don't own very expensive gears (as compared to people of this forum!) and cannot truly call myself a audiophile as I don't have audiophile gear to make the proper distinction... But I am rather picky about my gears. I got these mainly so I can better hear bass riffs in songs, but it doesn't offer the best clarity as compared to my other earphones/headphones despite being one of the more expensive. I still like em a lot, though I will say that I have a really hard time getting myself to wear these out in summer... they're super warm. And with heat = (memory?) foam cups just yields. While the isolation is pretty decent, definitely won't help that much against low-frequency noise like metro/subway and bus; you will hear everything except most of the bass.

As for the construction... the QC probably isn't very good. Mine came with twisted cables (whoever was assembling them twisted them while soldering the two ends), and the left adjustment pretty much gave on me within a day. After a year my right side is still holding pretty well, though it might be starting to loosen. The screws they used are pretty soft and they are screwed in so tight... I can't really remove the ones on the band; can't even try fixing the adjustment bands. Otherwise pretty solid. But if you sleep on the bus (like me), a bump may cause parts of it to break: the two-prong piece (plastic, btw) that connects the headphone to the band chipped after a bus ride I slept through-- though I reckon the VERY BUMPY roads of the province of Quebec (we're known for this in Canada!) made my head bang against the ever useless yet solid STORM-TITE window knob. Then again if i wore something else, the damage may have been worse.

It comes with a 3.5mm-to-1/4" plug, and the extension cord, which is pretty good. The jacks are really slender, so you can fit them even in bulky Apple product cases.

For the current going price they should be pretty worth it, although I haven't tried many of the other cans in the same price range...

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 11
Well thanks for replying even if it's a bit late, better late than never! But I decided to skip this headphone based on another user's feedback. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Hehe, well if the HTF600 really are $30 in your area (damn! envy the selections over there! and the price, naturally) I can only find the HA-M750 overpriced.

Which reminds me I got it because I was looking for a non-circular can with proper bass. ATH-SQ5 didn't quite fit well on my ears so :p

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Anybody own or use both these and the Samson SR850? I'm mulling over which to buy with my $40. I have the following thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/590375/help-me-chose-with-40-budget-sr850-vs-ur55-vs-rp-htf600-s-vs/15#post_8058877 where I describe my use :

I'm wanting to pick up my first set of headphones which cost more than $10. I listen to alot of rock and early punk, some metal and hardcore, a little rap and electronic. I have a echo indigo IO soundcard, an unamplified sansa clip, and occasionally I'll use it on a built in soundcard or tablet headphone out. I also might use the headphones on a keyboard or through the headphone out on my guitar amp, a mixer, or from the line out on my fishman pickup. I may try pluging them into my old Sansui receiver , or one of the other receivers I have around the house. I have a small LP collection.

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't have the Samson but I still have the JVC's. I made a few reversible mods tho it though, so they're no longer stock. I make a how-to thread if you'd like, but these changes are geared towards my preferences (tame the highs, tame the lows, more around 400~1kHz range). The last stage of the mod I did can probably be skipped and may sound better to more people. Of all my headphones, this is the one I go for when listening to anything closer to the rock genre though; that may simply be because I have no better choice, however.

Anyhow, heres two things I can say about the fit of the Samson and the JVCs...
-The JVCs won't give you a very good seal if you have a slightly bigger (or wider) head like me! If you notice on another thread about the HA-M750 (there aren't that many) one person mentioned having a hole under his ears--I have that too. Haven't tried bending the headband; I assume that could work.
-The Samson, according to the thread you mentioned, is open. If you're going to play guitar with it plugged into the amp, chances are you will hear string noise you otherwise wouldn't out of the amp. I play bass (n suck at it) and that's the first thing I noticed when I tried to practice with my portapro's on. For that I use these.

The biggest problem with the JVC I find is how the sound is muddy. This is mostly attributed to it's somewhat bloated bass. While with my mod I did reduce the bass bleed, the cans are still not considered detail oriented. I listen to rather low volumes though, and the sound really opens up slightly past my ideal comfort zone. Sounds quite good for acoustic guitar or reverb though, and classical. Lately it feels like it's getting really bass heavy again and I don't know why, perhaps I am just getting too used to the T50RP. All in all, the dominant voice you will hear in a track will probably still be the bass and the vocals. Depends on the mix too.

OH, though I forgot to mention, these headphones WILL benefit from amping. I liked it better than the stock SRH-840 with the same equipment tried in store. Couldn't justify an upgrade to stock DT770pro either (although that one sounds amazing).

I think the best would be if you can buy from a seller that allows returns. Try them out, and return them if you don't like em. These JVCs come with an extension cord so that's great for plugging to your guitar amp. For the going price these days, I think they're pretty good. I haven't had the chance to try those Panasonics though, so I can't give you a proper comparison.

P.S. the way I modded the JVCs makes them semi-open... but it still blocks a good chunk of ambient noise, and doesn't leak a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back