JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Feb 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2,506 of 3,271
Quote:

Caveat - while I've owned the GR07 MKII since last summer and they were as my dailies for a few months, I've only spent maybe a dozen hours listening to them since getting my 200s.  Unfortunately I'm in NYC until May and the GR07s remain behind at my home in San Diego, would love to try them out with my new Meridian explorer.  I've only compared them out of my DragonFly.

I like the GR07s - I think they're an excellent IEM, wonderfully detailed, fast, etc... still 2 fatal flaws for me - that straddling the sibilance area is something I never got over, even with hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I may be more sensitive to this than most, but I found it fatiguing for day-long use and was constantly having to fiddle with volume, it also may be the reason why I don't hear the 200s as being more than moderately boosted down low.  The second thing is the lack of depth.  To my ears the 200 is a remarkably coherent listen - the GR07 is faster and more detailed in most areas, but the 200s aren't all that far behind yet convey more body and depth, and dare I say, refined... just more natural.  I haven't heard the 100s.

Did you ever try the GR07 Bass Editions? I have those on the way and am hoping that they address both of your concerns above...

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,507 of 3,271
Quote:

Did you ever try the GR07 Bass Editions? I have those on the way and am hoping that they address both of your concerns above...

I got my MKIIs just before the BEs were announced and am curious but based on the feedback I'd rather hold off for other things on the horizon, esp. the 7007.  From I understand the depth issue is attributed to the housing design though.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #2,511 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:
Wow! Have you seen all the FXZ's in the FS thread ??? Seems they are not for everyone. I'm still rocking them at work and like I posting a few days ago I'm getting intoxicated by the bass quality that it make my other neutral IEM's boring and strange to listen too. I would never though so. I have to say that I have also changed my main rig headphone ( Beyer T1) to Denon D7000 so it could a factor in the equation. ;-p

I am only sellimg mine because i got the sm64's and ath ws99 in last 2 weeks, so something has to go.  And 90% listening time is while lifting weights, and they just dont stick well enough.  Sound wise, they are wonderfull

I'm considering selling my FXZ200 also for the sake of the WS99, and maybe to 'downgrade' to the FXZ100s. We'll see. I use them at work, which isn't often, so I feel like they're too costly for being dedicated to such infrequent use. 

If anyone is WTT for their FXZ100s, I'm ready to consider it. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2,512 of 3,271
I'm considering selling my FXZ200 also for the sake of the WS99, and maybe to 'downgrade' to the FXZ100s. We'll see. I use them at work, which isn't often, so I feel like they're too costly for being dedicated to such infrequent use. 

I haven't tried the 200 but I would not consider the FXZ-100 a downgrade. I think it's just a different signature to please different crowd IMO.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,513 of 3,271
Caveat - while I've owned the GR07 MKII since last summer and they were as my dailies for a few months, I've only spent maybe a dozen hours listening to them since getting my 200s.  Unfortunately I'm in NYC until May and the GR07s remain behind at my home in San Diego, would love to try them out with my new Meridian explorer.  I've only compared them out of my DragonFly.

I like the GR07s - I think they're an excellent IEM, wonderfully detailed, fast, etc... still 2 fatal flaws for me - that straddling the sibilance area is something I never got over, even with hundreds of hours of burn-in.  I may be more sensitive to this than most, but I found it fatiguing for day-long use and was constantly having to fiddle with volume, it also may be the reason why I don't hear the 200s as being more than moderately boosted down low.  The second thing is the lack of depth.  To my ears the 200 is a remarkably coherent listen - the GR07 is faster and more detailed in most areas, but the 200s aren't all that far behind yet convey more body and depth, and dare I say, refined... just more natural.  I haven't heard the 100s.

Bobeau, can you please share your opinion of the FXZ-200 with the DragonFly vs Meridian explorer? I'm very curious about the ME. (Or point me to the review if it exist) Many thanks!

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #2,514 of 3,271
Quote:
 I use them at work, which isn't often, so I feel like they're too costly for being dedicated to such infrequent use. 

I only use mine for work - which isn't a typical office, but co-working spaces, various cafes, at home, etc... the thing is I'm pulling 60-80 hour weeks right now and these are in my ears 100% of the time I'm writing code, which is most of the time.  They - and now consequently in conjunction w/ the Meridian Explorer - are certainly earning their keep!  

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,515 of 3,271
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't tried the 200 but I would not consider the FXZ-100 a downgrade. I think it's just a different signature to please different crowd IMO.

I've been following the train here for a while now, and form what others are saying, I agree it's definitely not a downgrade, but I feel like I might almost prefer it.
The bass in the FXZ200s is incredible though.... but what's the difference in the bass? Quantity?
I want to own an FXZ because they're just such a masterpiece; I just want to own something less expensive, and thus a downgrade, for their intended purpose. I also find the 200s a little bright. Might be the SPC. 

Quote:
Quote:
 I use them at work, which isn't often, so I feel like they're too costly for being dedicated to such infrequent use. 

I only use mine for work - which isn't a typical office, but co-working spaces, various cafes, at home, etc... the thing is I'm pulling 60-80 hour weeks right now and these are in my ears 100% of the time I'm writing code, which is most of the time.  They - and now consequently in conjunction w/ the Meridian Explorer - are certainly earning their keep!  

Me, I work in a hospital, I'm not exactly doing work where I'm able to listen for long periods, when I'm at work, i'm walking around constantly, but when I'm doing front-line patient work, which is more often than not, I can't listen to music. It's kinda sad, but true that I prefer the shifts where I have little patient/public interaction for the sake of being able to listen to music. That, and these things are not very sealthy. I keep going for my CKM500s at work, not that they're stealthy, but in comparison they're not even there lol.

I'll end up keeping the FXZ100s at home, and use em in the summer in conjuction with my BH/ZO combo for the bass quantity.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #2,519 of 3,271
Quote:
The fxz200 aren't very bright after 500hrs of burn in they setttle down a lot and become more balanced ....yet I'm at last a 500+ head-fier
biggrin.gif

Congrats. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back