JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Feb 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,476 of 3,271
The 200's signature change quite a lot depending on tips. With shallow insertion with the provided single flange it sounds quite open and the treble is more pronounced but deep insertion with Meelec triple flange the bass tighten up but they become quite dark.

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #2,477 of 3,271
Quote:
The 200's signature change quite a lot depending on tips. With shallow insertion with the provided single flange it sounds quite open and the treble is more pronounced but deep insertion with Meelec triple flange the bass tighten up but they become quite dark.

I have to agree.  I only got the double flange tips from meelec, and everything sounded darker and more distant.  Went back to the med stock tips.  They seem to do the best for me.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,478 of 3,271
Quote:
so which tips work best for people?
sony hybrids, comply, meelec tips...

I typically use a med size tip but went for the larges due to the angle they insert (while wearing over the ear).  I found a set of dre beats tips are slightly longer in the flange that the included size L so i can place the 200's in my ears further while still maintaining a good seal.  Compared to other IEM's i have owned these sit quite shallow while still isolating very well.  I can grab a pic if anyone is interested.

I tried comply tx400's but found the treble to be very recessed and dark.  I might try them again with a very shallow insertion like zenpunk suggested and will post back if the sound improves.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #2,480 of 3,271
I've got same weird result while trying other tips. The comply made the high sound strange kind of hollow and distant. The double flange Meelec didn't sound right either. So I'm back to the original tip but in large size.

Also I have to mention that I've tried to use my EQ5  yesterday and RE262 today and it takes a while to readjust to a signature with weaker bass. The RE262 sound unbalanced now 
blink.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,484 of 3,271
I just picked up a a Meridian Explorer and... wow on the ME -> 200 combo.  A nice step up over the DragonFly for these phones, although I am giving up some in portability and the top end is perhaps slightly hyped (hopefully that will clear-up with burn in).  This combo will be keeping me going mostly over the next 3 mos as I spend 60 hour weeks in NYC with a company at a startup incubator.  

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,485 of 3,271
Quote:
I just picked up a a Meridian Explorer and... wow on the ME -> 200 combo.  A nice step up over the DragonFly for these phones, although I am giving up some in portability and the top end is perhaps slightly hyped (hopefully that will clear-up with burn in).  This combo will be keeping me going mostly over the next 3 mos as I spend 60 hour weeks in NYC with a company at a startup incubator.  

Very interesting. I never heard the DragonFly but currently own and use a DACport from Centrance with the FXZ-100. Do you have any experience with the DACport by any chance?

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #2,490 of 3,271
Quote:

Very interesting. I never heard the DragonFly but currently own and use a DACport from Centrance with the FXZ-100. Do you have any experience with the DACport by any chance?

No, sorry.  The other recent portable units I compared against the DF are the ODAC/O2 and E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back