JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,071 of 3,271
Quote:
The real improvement is from a proper DAC. For instance, my E10 (WM8740) has more driving power, but my Blackberry Playbook (WM8994) sounds better, more spacious, and has better separation..

The odd thing is that it seems to me like the WM8740 is supposed to be the better DAC by specs and design? I'm by no means an expert on the subject and I realize it all comes down to how it sounds in the end, but it does raise the question as to how to determine a "proper DAC" when the one "designed for smartphones and other portable devices rich in multimedia features" outperforms the "very high performance" one "designed for audio applications such as CD, DVD, home theatre systems, set top boxes and digital TV".

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8740/
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM8994/

Though perhaps because WM8994 is newer, Wolfson has continuously improved the audio quality to the point where their portable application DACs compete with or outperform their older DACs.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #2,073 of 3,271
Quote:

So I'm not arguing that the fxz models need amplification, b/c they don't but I am arguing that not all amps sound the same, so you will hear a difference, whether that be small, large, worse or even meaningful.

wink.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #2,074 of 3,271
Quote:

EDIT: At 124 hours, the bass become thunderous again
eek.gif
and theres much, but much more detail along the whole spectrum. I can pick up details I just could with my D7000's. I think I won't sell them at this point. Geez, this got me by surprise!!

Sounds like I need to burn mine in more!
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,075 of 3,271
Quote:

The odd thing is that it seems to me like the WM8740 is supposed to be the better DAC by specs and design? I'm by no means an expert on the subject and I realize it all comes down to how it sounds in the end, but it does raise the question as to how to determine a "proper DAC" when the one "designed for smartphones and other portable devices rich in multimedia features" outperforms the "very high performance" one "designed for audio applications such as CD, DVD, home theatre systems, set top boxes and digital TV".

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8740/
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM8994/

Though perhaps because WM8994 is newer, Wolfson has continuously improved the audio quality to the point where their portable application DACs compete with or outperform their older DACs.

I'm really not an expert at that stuff either, I just go by ear most of the time just the majority of us. The playbook simply sounded better than the E10, freeing me up to sell the E10.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2,078 of 3,271
Quote:
I'm really not an expert at that stuff either, I just go by ear most of the time just the majority of us. The playbook simply sounded better than the E10, freeing me up to sell the E10.

Another huge factor to take into account is output impedance. I learned how much of a difference it can make in the overall sound signature after I read this article. The Fiio E10 seems to have very low output impedance, but I don't think anybody has measured/reported on the PlayBook before. Hopefully it's not as bad as the Nexus 7 (~100 Ohms
blink.gif
).

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,080 of 3,271
Quote:

Another huge factor to take into account is output impedance. I learned how much of a difference it can make in the overall sound signature after I read this article. The Fiio E10 seems to have very low output impedance, but I don't think anybody has measured/reported on the PlayBook before. Hopefully it's not as bad as the Nexus 7 (~100 Ohms
blink.gif
).

Yes, I understand the concept, and there aren't any wild FR swings b/w the iphone, playbook, and e10.

Good grief. To think I almost bought the Nexus 
ph34r.gif

if I were a god. I'd say....
"'eke. How dare you keep me waiting?"
then and a :p expression at the end to sound pleasant.

Forgive me! 

redface.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,083 of 3,271
So I bit, got the 200s. Awaiting shipping confirmation from a fellow head-fier

I didn't think I was gonna do it anytime soon but I couldn't contain myself.

I'm unsure of the level of burn in, but regardless of that I'm kiiiiiinda hoping there's little burn in so I can see the difference for myself. Either way though, having a new, nicely burnt in, gently used set would be a great bonus, no wait time for the preferred sound post burn in. I'll definitely be putting them through a gambit of regular-use-burn-in with drum and bass though 
size]

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,084 of 3,271
Quote:
The micro-details with the fischer audio's is just amazing compared to the SONY Hybrids. Still amazed at these tips.

I tried and use the ones that came with Tandem, but to be honest I can't hear the difference compared to the stock silicone.

The ones that came with my Silver Bullet for some reason are not as good quality as Tandem's silicone so I don't bother.

I'm using UE's silicone and Comply TS for my FXZ100

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,085 of 3,271
Quote:

Are those tips from the original DBA-02 or the DBA-02 mkII? If only we could find a source to buy them separately...

From the original DBA-02. Please find the source, I would like to try them out before these get damaged by use. They sound so clean and transparent.

Guess what? 75hrs and now they vibrate in your ears like an headphone!!! :D

The L stock tips do not fit my ears. Too small. No seal and fall out of my ears. A shame because they are made of the same materials as the fischer audio's. Very very soft. But the fisher's are taller. They had to be hardly stretched to fit these large nozzles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back