JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2,057 of 3,271
Do the FXZ200 have enough mid bass to give a good punchy bass experience?

Keeping the bass out of the mids region without making the mid bass region weak is the real challenge here.  Getting the bass out of the way by leaving a great deep bass and having a weak mid bass is not as good an achievement as having both deep and mid bass in appropriate quantities and avoiding mudiness at the same time.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #2,059 of 3,271
Quote:
Do the FXZ200 have enough mid bass to give a good punchy bass experience?

Keeping the bass out of the mids region without making the mid bass region weak is the real challenge here.  Getting the bass out of the way by leaving a great deep bass and having a weak mid bass is not as good an achievement as having both deep and mid bass in appropriate quantities and avoiding mudiness at the same time.

Yes, they do.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,060 of 3,271
Quote:

Yes, they do.

EDIT: At 124 hours, the bass become thunderous again
eek.gif
and theres much, but much more detail along the whole spectrum. I can pick up details I just could with my D7000's. I think I won't sell them at this point. Geez, this got me by surprise!!

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,061 of 3,271
Quote:
EDIT: At 124 hours, the bass become thunderous again
eek.gif
and theres much, but much more detail along the whole spectrum. I can pick up details I just could with my D7000's. I think I won't sell them at this point. Geez, this got me by surprise!!

It almost sounds like the 8.8mm stream woofer dynamic driver likes taking it easy after a while... until it hears the words "for sale" and then gets right back to work.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2,062 of 3,271
Quote:
Have you tried it with an amp? If not, how do you know you're not missing something?

I've tried it a friend's E11, another friend's Pico Slim, my playbook, and my iPhone.

The differences can be chalked up to the increase in volume that the amp brings, if your source can't drive them loud enough. The real improvement is from a proper DAC. For instance, my E10 (WM8740) has more driving power, but my Blackberry Playbook (WM8994) sounds better, more spacious, and has better separation.. The amp's purpose is a pure increase in volume, and the only improvements you'll find can be replicated by simply pushing the volume up button on your player. I can easily drive the FXZ-100 to painful levels with my clip+

I've systematically experimented with several iems and amps, and A/B'ed them straight from my DAPs. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,064 of 3,271
Quote:
The differences can be chalked up to the increase in volume that the amp brings, if your source can't drive them loud enough. The real improvement is from a proper DAC. For instance, my E10 (WM8740) has more driving power, but my Blackberry Playbook (WM8994) sounds better, more spacious, and has better separation.. The amp's purpose is a pure increase in volume, and the only improvements you'll find can be replicated by simply pushing the volume up button on your player. I can easily drive the FXZ-100 to painful levels with my clip+

Sounds like something like the relatively cheap ELE DAC would do well enough with the FXZ100, if using computer as the source.

Do you have any intention to try out the FXZ200 as well? It appears that several users in this thread that have heard both preferred the FXZ200, and from what people are saying they are more complementary rather than a direct upgrade to the FXZ100.

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,066 of 3,271
Quote:

Do you have any intention to try out the FXZ200 as well? It appears that several users in this thread that have heard both preferred the FXZ200, and from what people are saying they are more complementary rather than a direct upgrade to the FXZ100.

I really don't think I could handle more bass than the FXZ-100. The 100 already kinda limits what I listen to through it. 

The funny thing though is that it has basshead levels of bass, but the mids are also quite boosted to avoid drowning it under the sea of bass. I'll try to expand in my review.

Amps only increase volume?

Amplifiers "amplify" the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back