JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,831 of 3,271
Quote:

See, I think of refinement as lack of jaggedness. For instance, the GR07's treble is more laid back and warmer than the Etymotic HF5's. However the Ety's treble is more linear, without all the dips and peaks of the 07. I don't really think it's a matter of warmth or richness.

Difference of opinion. I said more than warmth. I also stated detailed. I heard the HF5. It's very detailed, but I wouldn't call it refined. Just about every refined IEM I've heard has a touch of warmth to go along with the extreme details and richness. And yes, I will agree there tends to be some smoothness in the sound.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,832 of 3,271
Quote:

Difference of opinion

beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #1,833 of 3,271
sheez, i turn my back for a few hours and ericp10 has 200s!  And, he likes them.  

I've never heard the Gr07s- sounds like i need to.  Hint hint, ericp10.  I have asg1.2s and i like them very much.  i was considering the asg2s, given that a 1.2 with a bit more openness and air would be wonderful- but that's really what i hear from these 2 JVCs.  

Before i ordered them, i bought a used pair of ex1000s and despised them - the treble was like having darts flung into my ear drums, and i couldn't take it, no matter what other virtues they may have had. (eke, you may have lucked out).  I never really liked the IE8s, so i don't think i'm a bass head.  

anyway, throw the best source and amp at them and they will reward you with amazing, coherent, natural sound - just be prepared to fidget with them a bit to get the right depth, seal, and angle of penetration; the mystical kama-jvcsutra.

happy listening everybody!  

ps i may need to borrow some upper case letters real soon

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,834 of 3,271
Christ! I ordered mine on the 30th(five days before you) and still a no show.

I got hosed on the usually very quick amazon.co.jp/Tenso
ir

shipping.

Hopefully tomorrow.

LOL I did expedited shipping from Amazon on the 28th and mine might be here tomorrow...

Canada Post truly does suck, extremely over priced and slow as all get out.

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,836 of 3,271
Quote:
sheez, i turn my back for a few hours and ericp10 has 200s!  And, he likes them.  

I've never heard the Gr07s- sounds like i need to.  Hint hint, ericp10.  I have asg1.2s and i like them very much.  i was considering the asg2s, given that a 1.2 with a bit more openness and air would be wonderful- but that's really what i hear from these 2 JVCs.  

Before i ordered them, i bought a used pair of ex1000s and despised them - the treble was like having darts flung into my ear drums, and i couldn't take it, no matter what other virtues they may have had. (eke, you may have lucked out).  I never really liked the IE8s, so i don't think i'm a bass head.  

anyway, throw the best source and amp at them and they will reward you with amazing, coherent, natural sound - just be prepared to fidget with them a bit to get the right depth, seal, and angle of penetration; the mystical kama-jvcsutra.

happy listening everybody!  

ps i may need to borrow some upper case letters real soon

beerchug.gif
 Anytime you want to hear the GR07 let me know man. We're not far from each other. 

And a special thank you to the Canadian (you know who you are) who is coming to Chicago on business in a couple of weeks, and will bring me a pair of TDK MT-300s to own! Canadians are alright with me!  ... lol

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,837 of 3,271
Us Canucks are an alright bunch! We are just poor between the inflated electronics prices in Canada and the gall dang Post Service!!!!
angry_face.gif

OK OK I'll stop ranting now LOL.

Really do hope my babies arrive tomorrow though...

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #1,838 of 3,271
My friends laugh at me when I tell them I am finished buying headphones LOL.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #1,839 of 3,271
Okay, time for extensive burn-in mode!

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #1,840 of 3,271
Quote:

+1

Took mine 8 days during Xmas and NY to go Amazon-Tenso-Perth, truly superb service

Mine was shipped over the weekend before New Year's Eve and got to L.A. on the 31st but spent 6 days in Customs. ;(

Leave it to Japan for being crazy efficient though and EMS is amazing.. Didn't think they'd work on a Sunday.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,841 of 3,271
Quote:
So, first, Dsnuts, fzman, Dannybai and the rest of the fellas (not sure if I should include ladies yet) who owned the FXZ200 (before me) and FXZ100 are right. The 200 has quite a bit more boosted bass than the 100 (and there's plenty of bass in the 100). But it's not out of line with the rest of the sound signature. All instruments sound full and robust! Although I get it sometimes with the 100, the fullness of the snare drums that I so enjoy in the GR07 (and stated a few pages down that I find somewhat thin in the 100) are here in its full glory with the 200. So with about three hours of burn in on the 200, these IEMs sound quite wonderful to me. And if it's true that the FXZ200 only gets better from here (and I haven't a JVC that wasn't true for), my ears are in for a treat!

So here is the deal with me: the way james444 and that whole lot of head-fi members got so excited over the the Sony EX1000 and EX600 is the same way I feel about the FXZ200 and the FXZ100. These come close to being my dream universal "dynamic" earphones. Oh, the Sonys were (are) technically brilliant and astounding in its sound signatures, but two things kept me from fully loving those two monitors. One: the highs were just excruciating harsh to my ears, and two: the fit was never quite comfortable for me.

The highs in the 200s and 100s are just perfect for me; the mids are perfect, and of course the bass is unbelievable to my ears. Which leads me to another point. There are incredible amounts of bass in the 200s and 100s, but I don't feel it's fair to call them basshead earphones. The word basshead seems to have a general negative connotation, and it doesn't fit the moniker of these JVCs' sound signatures at all. Both are superb audiophile IEMs that happen to be tuned with massive superb tight bass. There's no messy bloatedness in the bass (that many bassheads seem to like) lurking in these IEMs. None whatsoever. 

Shotgunshane stated earlier that the 200 reminded him of Aurisonics first ASG-1. I can kind of see why he would make that comparison, but to me the ASG-1 nor ASG-1.2 sound nothing like the 200 and 100. Oh, I think the 100's bass might have been on par with the first two ASGs, but the JVCs strike me as more refined than those two Aurisonics. To a lesser extent the 100, but the 200 is definitely more refined in sound than the Aurisonics. But, hold on! I think the 200 has a closer relationship with the ASG-2 demo I heard than with the ASG-1(.2). This too could be different now, since I know Aurisonics is using different dynamic drivers than what I heard in the ASG-2 demo. 200 and ASG-2 bass are almost on par, but tuned differently, so I'm speaking on quantity more so than quality (but the quality is there for both). I think the ASG-2's mids are a tad recessed compared to the 200, but the Aurisonics will win in the highs with great extension with those two super BA tweeters in the hybrid. So don't forget we're comparing three dynamics drivers to one dynamic and two BAs. But as good as the 200 sounds right now, after burn-in it may sound better to me than I remember the ASG-2 sounding (maybe not). The ASG-2 is also significantly higher in MSRP than the 200, so that's something to consider. With that in mine, the 200 performs way above its price level.

The FXZs' stock tips and I don't get along. Not surprising for me. I have yet to like any JVC stock tips on the earphones they were meant to be on except for the FXD series. So for me, the Senn double-flanges give me optimum performance. With the stock tips I wasn't getting any bass out of the 200, and when I did it didn't sound any better than the 100s. But the 200s do have more (and somewhat better) bass than the 100. So this made me think about how many who heard both stated that the EX600 was about 80 percent of the EX1000. Well I think the 100 is closer to the 200 than that in overall sound quality (I'm going to say 90 percent). But here's the difference: the 100 isn't really tuned like the 200, whereas the EX1000 and EX600 were tuned very similarly. The 100 is a more balanced and neutral phone (as balanced and as neutral as it can get with all of that glorious bass). I think the bass and mids are more forward in the 200 (but this doesn't overshadow the highs for me). And the 200 is clearly the more refined earphone. Unlike shotgunshane, I find the refinement in the 200 to have more to do with the EX1000 than the ASG-1.

And although the bass is clearly more in quantity in the 200 compared to the 100, I don't find the bass to be too much. Because the rest of the sound spectrum is fuller and thicker and richer too. So these are like dream universals for me. The only other universals that I feel can give the 200 serious competition are the ASG-2 (I need to hear the new version soon), and maybe the GR08 (aka: V7007). But I'm really more speculating ont he Vsonic. I know what the ASG-2 is capable of. In my universal world now, this 200, the W4 and surprisingly the TDK BA200 put me in audio nirvana! Those would be my three favorite top tier universals right now. I know you noticed I didn't put the FXZ100 there. Well, the FXZ100 is a great earphone and is right behind those three, but I'm ranking in what gives me pure joy right now. The FXZ100 may actually be too balanced for me compared to how much I'm enjoying the FXZ200 out of the box. But I can see how the FXZ100 would suit other who want FXZ experience with the highs a little bit more forward and not so much bass. The bass in my FXZ100 has beautifully blended in with the entire sound spectrum at this point. I won't be disappointed still owning them, but I am pretty open to selling the FXZ100s (maybe two weeks old?) if anyone think it may be more to your sound signature liking. You can't go by which performs better or is more expensive at this tier. Now you must consider what fits your preferred sound signature. So, these are my initial impressions of the FXZ200 and how it compares to its little brother.

One other thing: while both FXZs sound very good coming straight out of my iPod Classic, both of these IEMs love power and perform even better with the juice. I see it akin to having a fine lady. She will treat you well and do nice things for you because she's your lady and loves you. but if you buy that lady expensive gifts; dress her up in the finest clothes, and adorn her with diamonds, she more than likely will got the the extra mile in pleasing you and taking your level of satisfaction to the next plateau. So you should start viewing juice from a good solid amp as the diamonds you're adorning the 200 (and yes, even the 100) with. Both will perform even better for you with a nice amp.

Great review and exactly what I was hoping to hear about the 200's. I'm confident I made the right choice.

I'm not a fan of bass heavy IEM's. because all the ones I had or heard fall flat. They all make sacrifieces in some area. Bass is bloated, flabby, bleads into the mids, or just plain old sounds out of place. I bought the 200's because from reading early reviews, I kept picking up recurring accounts that the bass, though on the heavy side, doesn't detract from the rest of the sound. It actually reinforces it. I haven't heard an IEM so far that can truely do this.

This is good to hear.... again.

Now if I can finally hear these things for myself, I will be happy.

Thanks for the enlightening review. Eric.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #1,842 of 3,271
Also update on the cymbals..

I guess it was indeed a fit issue. I've tried wearing it over the ear now and sort of found my sweet spot. Though I probably only have 20 hours of burn-in so these aren't done cooking yet. 

Music bliss:

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,844 of 3,271
Quote:
Dangerous? Dangerous?!?! You have NO idea how bad it is here. This is what electronics and headphone stores here look like:

Holy crap batman. Those sights are incredibly beautiful and incredibly scary all at the same time! Amazing. Thanks for posting those pics!

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,845 of 3,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And although the bass is clearly more in quantity in the 200 compared to the 100, I don't find the bass to be too much. Because the rest of the sound spectrum is fuller and thicker and richer too. So these are like dream universals for me. The only other universals that I feel can give the 200 serious competition are the ASG-2 (I need to hear the new version soon), and maybe the GR08 (aka: V7007). But I'm really more speculating ont he Vsonic. I know what the ASG-2 is capable of. In my universal world now, this 200, the W4 and surprisingly the TDK BA200 put me in audio nirvana! Those would be my three favorite top tier universals right now.

Seriously eric, I think that you just managed to crank up the bullet train speed a few notches. Good work my friend!

Quote:
One other thing: while both FXZs sound very good coming straight out of my iPod Classic, both of these IEMs love power and perform even better with the juice. I see it akin to having a fine lady. She will treat you well and do nice things for you because she's your lady and loves you. but if you buy that lady expensive gifts; dress her up in the finest clothes, and adorn her with diamonds, she more than likely will got the the extra mile in pleasing you and taking your level of satisfaction to the next plateau. So you should start viewing juice from a good solid amp as the diamonds you're adorning the 200 (and yes, even the 100) with. Both will perform even better for you with a nice amp.

Wow. So that's how you are supposed to do it! Damn - I wish that I had subscribed to your newsletter years ago lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back