JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #1,696 of 3,271
Hmmm? Interesting take on the FXZ100, FlySweep, buddy. Thanks for your impressions. I'm curious about what tips you are using. I don't find the FXT90 and FXZ100 to sound anything alike, yet both are clearly in the JVC family. I do agree with you on bass texture of the BA200, although the TDK's extension comes nowhere near the Z100. I will say this, the original GR07 drums (snare and mid percussion) has a bit more ummph than the Z100, but when I listen to the JVCs do drum solos it tends to win out over the GR07. The GR07 can't compete in the 3-Dish sound of the Z100 in my opinion. I'm expecting this to be even more of the case with the Z200. The FXD80 is still a great earphone in it's own right, but I agree in not necessarily calling the Z100 a basshead earphone, but one that a basshead can appreciate.

Interesting... but please elaborate. In what way do you hear the fxt90s signature differing from the fxz100s?

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,697 of 3,271
Quote:
Interesting... but please elaborate. In what way do you hear the fxt90s signature differing from the fxz100s?

I think the FXT90 is warmer, quite a bit more mid-bass hump, treble may be harsher (I need to re-listen to be certain), and just doesn't have the extension from top to bottom that you get with three drivers compared to the two dynamic drivers. And the music is taller and weightier with the 100s too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,698 of 3,271
Quote:

Not very long yet, it only had about 20-30 hours max usage, I haven't properly burn it yet.

I'm no basshead so to me the 100 is very bassy, when I listen to bassy track (including the penultimate bass test thingy) I had to pull out the IEM every 10 mins or so because the bass makes my canal itchy (...and it never happened before, my 3 other bassy IEM were Atrio M8, JVC FX101 and Hippo VB)

Oh I see.  Ya if your not used to bass like that than I can see them doing that, especially when not fully burned in.  After my 100th hour the bass tightened up more on the 200's.  I love bass but not 100% of the time.  I am considering the 100's because the bass was a little too boomy out of the box.  I like it some times but after a while it can get annoying.  But after the 100th hour the bass tightened up more and I like it as it.  I am still interested the 100's though.  Keep them burning for 100+ hours and they'll change.  

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #1,700 of 3,271
Quote:
Wow, good to hear. Ours might be on the same plane. The problem is, I ordered mine on the 26th, but because of the holidays, they just left Tenso this morning.
Looking forward to your impressions compared to the 100s. I got the 200's, but it was a tough decision.

Yep, will definitely let you know how they compare Painful Chafe. I bet they're on the same plane too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #1,701 of 3,271
Quote:
Thanks to my always generous friend, DannyBai, for sending me his (well burned in) FXZ100 to audition.  I've been listening with the ODAC & the Schiit Magni (as well as Leckerton UHA-6S MKII & Objective 2 amps) for a few hours.  Here are some initial thoughts on what I've seen/heard so far:

The 100's build is fantastic.  Looking at the size and shape, you might wonder how these would manage to sit in your ear.. let alone remain comfortable.. but it does both.. in quite an effortless manner.  Its weight is sneaky light, it quickly inserts with practically no fiddling, it and remains suspended without causing any fatigue or stress.  Impressive.  The cable is excellent too. Smooth, tangle free, lightweight but robust enough for lasting durability.  Identical to the FXT90's cable, if my memory serves me correctly.

While I'd characterize myself as a listener who prefers neutral to neutral-ish, monitor-inspired phones, I'm not biased against more colored phones (hell, I've owned and still love plenty of them).  I tend to appreciate signatures in all shapes and sizes as long as they're cohesive and artfully tuned.  With that said, I'll get the obvious point of (recent) contention out of the way: the FXZ100 is not a 'basshead' phone, IMO.

Is the FXZ100's bass emphasized?  Affirmative.  But it isn't so emphasized to make it the focal point of the sound.  The bass is more boosted than what you'd hear from the GR07 MKII.. but less than what I remember hearing from the (midbass heavy) FXD80.  Think FXT90-levle bass that's more linear.. and boosted up a decibel or two.  As far as the Kelton technology/sub performance, I didn't find the performance particularly noteworthy.  The 100 had terrifically effortless sub-bass response.. certainly enjoyable & impressive.. but in evaluating the bass response as a whole (texturing, clarity, speed, timbre, PRaT, etc.), I didn't get the sense it was miles more impressive than what I've heard from other high quality dynamic/dual dynamic, hybrid, or even multi-BA drivers.  The GR07 MKII's bass more than holds it's own in comparison, IMO.  Even the BA200.. while its bass might not extend down as far or punch as hard.. can, arguably, texture just as well, if not better.  I found the FXD100's midbass, even when amped, to be a little loose and slow at times.

The FXD100's signature, while fairly balanced, is firmly grounded in the midrange.  Instead of getting long winded with words (as I typically do), I can best describe the midrange as possessing a smooth, Grado-like signature (perhaps, more accurately, an upper-tier Grado.. also perhaps the FXT90).  The mids are certainly forward and engaging, but they don't possesses a sharp upper midrange/lower treble spike (that tends to accompany lower-tiered Grados or the FXT90).  The treble is positioned slightly behind the midrange.. but there's just enough quantity to give the sound a sense of balance.  It's quite inoffensive and non-fatiguing as it starts to roll off (in my rough estimation) around 8K.

The FXZ100 sounds more FXT90 than it does FXD80.  In that regard, the sound is richer, slightly warmer, and midcentric (vs the colder, v-shaped sound of the 80).  There's definitely more in common between the FXD100 & FXT90 than the looks.. in fact, I'd say the 100 is a very noteworthy advancement on the FXT90's sound and technicalities.

These descriptions sealed the deal. Now I'm just waiting for eke's "confirmation".
I do have a few questions about your descriptions though. When you mention the following:
but in evaluating the bass response as a whole (texturing, clarity, speed, timbre, PRaT, etc.), I didn't get the sense it was miles more impressive than what I've heard from other high quality dynamic/dual dynamic, hybrid, or even multi-BA drivers.  The GR07 MKII's bass more than holds it's own in comparison, IMO.

Are you saying that the fxz100 bass is technically on par with the gr07 and maybe oh so slightly better than the gr07 mkii but definitely not lower in performance???

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #1,702 of 3,271
I can't imagine the bass on the 200
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,703 of 3,271
My FXZ200s arrived today.

Initial Impression: 

Taking it off from the box, the first thing I noticed was the wires. The wires feel cheap especially compared  to the GR07. I dunno it just feels flimsy. Also the wire connection to the base of the buds seem scary. I guess I am just so used to the GR07's build quality.

Right out of the box, they sound a little bass heavy but like what everyone has said, the rest of the other frequencies do sound better than regular 'basshead' buds. They really do fit the bill 'totalhead' buds. Mine has some sibilance for now but could just be fit issues. I seem to notice that I have difficulty putting it on my left ear.. I'll try other tips.

Overall right now, I prefer the GR07's sweet mids but hopefully the FXZ200s get there too. Will check back in here after some burn-in. Oh yeah I am using the Audioengine D1 as dac/amp.

Oh yeah pictures of the FXZ200 and the GR07

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,704 of 3,271
Oh, woah. I see sibilance being mentioned and I'm all cold feet now. I'm especially sensitive to sibilance, so if these are considered harsh in any way I'm going to have to pass. Does burn-in clear up sibilance? And I mean clear it up completely. I don't want to deal with trying to force myself to get over sibilance again. It's just not possible for these ears of mine.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,706 of 3,271
I'm sensitive to sibilance to, but I think proper seal and/or burn-in should solve that problem.

Can anyone tell me if these have a sharp sound? The FXD80s sound good, but they're a tad sharp for my taste. They are also colder than I like. the Fx40s are even worse about sharpness. The S500s are perfect though. A little warmer than neutral with a nice smooth sound.

I'm wondering if the Fxz200s are Sharp and cold, or smooth and warm. And Im hopping for the latter.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,707 of 3,271
I saw it mentioned twice now, first with the 100, then the 200. Could, of course, be purely attributed to fit, but I am a bit apprehensive...

To give a sense of my sensitivity to treble, I actually find the S500s have unbearable sibilance at times. I even reduce the treble to listen comfortably.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,708 of 3,271
I've never detected sibilance in my 100. I think it's a matter of having the proper tips and fit. The FXT90 has way sharper treble in my opinion.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #1,709 of 3,271
Do the Z200's respond well plugged directly into an ipod or do they need to be amped?  I love the way their sound is being described but due to portability (not wanting to carry an external amp) maybe something easier to power might fit my needs better. Suggestions on something that sounds similar with good extension and punch/feel on the low end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back