JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Jan 6, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #1,636 of 3,271
Quote:

Would you say the treble is more recessed on the 200? Or are the main differences only found in the lower to lower-mid frequencies?

I would have to listen to it a bit more to give a definite answer. I was using my Ipad and Samsung Yepp but listening condition was just ok (kind of a standard JCPenney's in the morning). At the time, the 200 bass was relatively booming to my ears (compared to the gr07 and fxd80, and even fxt90), while the 100's is more in line with the other three if not a little stronger than the gr07 and fxd.

^In Japan, you can audition more than 90% of the IEMs talked about in head-fi with your own source without nagging from the store clerk. It's just that you have to stand while auditioning them and it's always a good idea to bring your own eartips.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #1,637 of 3,271
I auditioned the FXZ100/200 recently. Maybe this can be a help for some people on the fence.

The 200 is a basshead IEMs for sure, if not the bassiest popular/FOTM IEM in head-fi. The bass is powerful but not the cleanest or the best controlled and bleeds a bit into the midrange as well. The have good points but you have to get over that BASS :basshead: . It really sounds like a speaker + subwoofer for good and bad.
The 100 on the other hand impressed me. Wide open soundstage, great bass, clear smooth treble. Well ahead of the FXT90. On a side note, I was very impressed with the FXD80, I auditioned there too, I don't think it's that far off the new JVCs for a lot less money.

Thanks for those who took the first plunges to buy the 100/200. 

I'd be interested to know whether those test units were decently burnt in or not. Not that you can tell in a shop or anything - nor, I imagine, is there much point in asking. It seems like the general experience is that the bass settles down, but there are also a few people who have found it overwhelming.

I do like my bass, but it's not okay if it intrudes on my precious midrange. So very close to pulling the trigger, but so hesitant as well.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #1,639 of 3,271
Well, I just took the plunge. Both the 100 and 200 are going to be Texas-bound via Tenso. I recently sold the PFE232 because they were too hot/sibilant, but I'm hopeful with these. Maybe one will finally replace my W4!

ps. This thread is ridiculous
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #1,640 of 3,271
I do like my bass, but it's not okay if it intrudes on my precious midrange. So very close to pulling the trigger, but so hesitant as well.

That is one of the things that make the 200 so special is that the bass seem to be seperate from the other frequencies. You can have that impactful bass without it encroaching on the mids and veiling details.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #1,641 of 3,271
That is one of the things that make the 200 so special is that the bass seem to be seperate from the other frequencies. You can have that impactful bass without it encroaching on the mids and veiling details.

Okay, so that's two very different opinions I've come across. Did you find it took a bit of burn-in to reach that point or did you feel there was that separation from the start? Perhaps the unit glac1er tried were I sufficiently burnt in.

I'm probably going to be buying them regardless. I'll never know for sure if I don't and then I'll be left wondering what it might have sounded like. Haunted by Head-Fi :p.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #1,642 of 3,271
I found them to be overwhelming with sloppy bass when I first listened to them. It was around the 50-75hr mark that the bass really tightened up allowing the details to shine through. I was honestly dissapointed with them when I first got them but since burn-in I haven't had the desire to listen to anything else.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #1,645 of 3,271
Quote:
I found them to be overwhelming with sloppy bass when I first listened to them. It was around the 50-75hr mark that the bass really tightened up allowing the details to shine through. I was honestly dissapointed with them when I first got them but since burn-in I haven't had the desire to listen to anything else.

This is exactly my take on them too..Burn in is 100% a necessity on these earphones. I have to agree what truly separates these earphones from other bass earphones is their ability to have the control in the sound. This unfortunately does not happen on open box. So guys that audition them at a store may not be hearing a properly burned in pair. In fact I truly doubt they will be unless the person that is in charge knows to burn in the headphones before letting people hear them but at a busy store I doubt they would do this.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,647 of 3,271
Their in portuguese customs since Wednesday and still no letter rto proceed with the payment. I doubt I will get them next week. This will make about 3 weeks for me. Plus at least 60€ (23% VAT here).

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #1,648 of 3,271
Thanks to my always generous friend, DannyBai, for sending me his (well burned in) FXZ100 to audition.  I've been listening with the ODAC & the Schiit Magni (as well as Leckerton UHA-6S MKII & Objective 2 amps) for a few hours.  Here are some initial thoughts on what I've seen/heard so far:

The 100's build is fantastic.  Looking at the size and shape, you might wonder how these would manage to sit in your ear.. let alone remain comfortable.. but it does both.. in quite an effortless manner.  Its weight is sneaky light, it quickly inserts with practically no fiddling, it and remains suspended without causing any fatigue or stress.  Impressive.  The cable is excellent too. Smooth, tangle free, lightweight but robust enough for lasting durability.  Identical to the FXT90's cable, if my memory serves me correctly.

While I'd characterize myself as a listener who prefers neutral to neutral-ish, monitor-inspired phones, I'm not biased against more colored phones (hell, I've owned and still love plenty of them).  I tend to appreciate signatures in all shapes and sizes as long as they're cohesive and artfully tuned.  With that said, I'll get the obvious point of (recent) contention out of the way: the FXZ100 is not a 'basshead' phone, IMO.

Is the FXZ100's bass emphasized?  Affirmative.  But it isn't so emphasized to make it the focal point of the sound.  The bass is more boosted than what you'd hear from the GR07 MKII.. but less than what I remember hearing from the (midbass heavy) FXD80.  Think FXT90-levle bass that's more linear.. and boosted up a decibel or two.  As far as the Kelton technology/sub performance, I didn't find the performance particularly noteworthy.  The 100 had terrifically effortless sub-bass response.. certainly enjoyable & impressive.. but in evaluating the bass response as a whole (texturing, clarity, speed, timbre, PRaT, etc.), I didn't get the sense it was miles more impressive than what I've heard from other high quality dynamic/dual dynamic, hybrid, or even multi-BA drivers.  The GR07 MKII's bass more than holds it's own in comparison, IMO.  Even the BA200.. while its bass might not extend down as far or punch as hard.. can, arguably, texture just as well, if not better.  I found the FXD100's midbass, even when amped, to be a little loose and slow at times.

The FXD100's signature, while fairly balanced, is firmly grounded in the midrange.  Instead of getting long winded with words (as I typically do), I can best describe the midrange as possessing a smooth, Grado-like signature (perhaps, more accurately, an upper-tier Grado.. also perhaps the FXT90).  The mids are certainly forward and engaging, but they don't possesses a sharp upper midrange/lower treble spike (that tends to accompany lower-tiered Grados or the FXT90).  The treble is positioned slightly behind the midrange.. but there's just enough quantity to give the sound a sense of balance.  It's quite inoffensive and non-fatiguing as it starts to roll off (in my rough estimation) around 8K.

The FXZ100 sounds more FXT90 than it does FXD80.  In that regard, the sound is richer, slightly warmer, and midcentric (vs the colder, v-shaped sound of the 80).  There's definitely more in common between the FXD100 & FXT90 than the looks.. in fact, I'd say the 100 is a very noteworthy advancement on the FXT90's sound and technicalities.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #1,649 of 3,271
Thanks for the impressions Fly. Very enlightening ; )

I'm going to put my 200's for sale SEALED. Just got my dream headphone and need the funds, so if you want a brand new, unopened FXZ200 with no customs taxes just PM me and lets get to business. Willing to sell all my stuff today and say goodbye to head-fi ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back