JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,701 of 3,271
I have a pair of the 100's on loan atm.

I am not overly impressed. I'm not sure if JVC have heard of instrument separation before but I am either very spoilt with my Rhapsodio IEM's and offerings like R-50, Brainwavs B2 or there isn't any real instrument separation I can hear., or much soundstage either.. The bass however is 'nice', a little boomy though acceptable. I just find the mids lacking any real detail and everything sounds smeared, there's no oomph or bite to the mid range and it's over shadowed by the forward low end.

I am sorry, but separation and detail is very important to me, part of upgrading to higher IEM's is to stop everything feeling congested, the ability to pick out any instrument separately during busy tracks, I'm just not hearing any and need it there to continue taking in the earphone. I don't think I'll spend much more time with them. There's just no real detail guys and as I said pages back they sound 'to me' like a really safe mainstream signature with limitations. I was expecting more from JVC in this price range.

Even the member I loaned these from enjoys them, I'm just not able to accept them.

PS: I didn't come in here to start a war or make fans feel bad, I needed to say what I honestly felt. :)

How many hours have they done?

I do not know, but no amount is going to correct them to the point I would be happy.

Enjoy your JVC FXZ100 guys.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,702 of 3,271
Quote:

I am not overly impressed. I'm not sure if JVC have heard of instrument separation before but I am either very spoilt with my Rhapsodio IEM's and offerings like R-50, Brainwavs B2 or there isn't any real instrument separation I can hear., or much soundstage either.. The bass however is 'nice', a little boomy though acceptable. I just find the mids lacking any real detail and everything sounds smeared, there's no oomph or bite to the mid range and it's over shadowed by the forward low end.

I am sorry, but separation and detail is very important to me, part of upgrading to higher IEM's is to stop everything feeling congested, the ability to pick out any instrument separately during busy tracks, I'm just not hearing any and need it there to continue taking in the earphone. I don't think I'll spend much more time with them. There's just no real detail guys and as I said pages back they sound 'to me' like a really safe mainstream signature with limitations. I was expecting more from JVC in this price range.

Even the member I loaned these from enjoys them, I'm just not able to accept them.

PS: I didn't come in here to start a war or make fans feel bad, I needed to say what I honestly felt.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not know, but no amount is going to correct them to the point I would be happy.

What amp are you using? I have the FXZ200's and they sounded smeared with my Apex Glacier. Since then I got a UD100 DAC and  a Meier Quickstep and the FXZ200's sound a lot better. I think cos they're such a warm and bassy sound they need a really clean and transparent amp/dac to compliment them.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,703 of 3,271
What amp are you using? I have the FXZ200's and they sounded smeared with my Apex Glacier. Since then I got a UD100 DAC and  a Meier Quickstep and the FXZ200's sound a lot better. I think cos they're such a warm and bassy sound they need a really clean and transparent amp/dac to compliment them.

Anything in the list on my profile that doesn't say (sold)

But mainly Colorfly CK4+ / C&C BH or Rocco BA, haven't bothered with a Clip+ because I don't think it's worth it.

I think they're "ok" don't get me wrong, they just feel capped to me. Like they're restricted in many areas.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,704 of 3,271
Quote:
Anything in the list on my profile that doesn't say (sold)

But mainly Colorfly CK4+ / C&C BH or Rocco BA, haven't bothered with a Clip+ because I don't think it's worth it.

I think they're "ok" don't get me wrong, they just feel capped to me. Like they're restricted in many areas.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I found the C&C BH to be a bit overhyped as an amp. Whilst it sounds detailed it also sounds thin and artificial in tonality. I'm not really sure why most people thought it was any better than the Fiio E11 to be honest.

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #2,705 of 3,271
Yeah, I know what you mean. I found the C&C BH to be a bit overhyped as an amp. Whilst it sounds detailed it also sounds thin and artificial in tonality. I'm not really sure why most people thought it was any better than the Fiio E11 to be honest.

What did you replace your BH with?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #2,707 of 3,271
Quote:

PS: I didn't come in here to start a war or make fans feel bad, I needed to say what I honestly felt.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously mate you have to stop auditioning the 100's with Britney, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, etc etc, and use REAL MUSIC!! -- maybe then, you will start to enjoy it...
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,708 of 3,271
Quote:

Seriously mate you have to stop auditioning the 100's with Britney, Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, etc etc, and use REAL MUSIC!! -- maybe then, you will start to enjoy it...
biggrin.gif

If he listens mostly to those singers, than it's all fine for him to audition IEMs with songs from those singers, rite? You can test any IEMs with some Beethoven and Kitaro but if you listen mostly to artists like Eminem, those auditioning won't matter much, will it?

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,710 of 3,271
Quote:
anyone else using comply tips (cylindrical or spherical)?
as a person with small ear canals, im looking for something more comfortable than the stock tips, without changing the sound signature

Nah...the way its designed, and the shape of the body, to me shallow fit is the best, MTPC-style shallow fit, so just sits on the ear...

I've tried the Comply Ts with these and although fit quite nicely, stock large silicone is the best for my ear...

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,711 of 3,271
After reading most part of this thread I'm considering buying a pair of 200s :)

I still have 2 questions :
- are they good with metal (speed, death, trash, hardcore & co) ? Dynamic and detailed enough ? And what about cymbals ? I read some negative comments on this point... :/
- does someone know if they pair well with an iRiver AK100 ?

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,713 of 3,271
Quote:

- are they good with metal (speed, death, trash, hardcore & co) ? Dynamic and detailed enough ? And what about cymbals ? I read some negative comments on this point... :/

Thanks.

I remember Dsnuts saying that these are plenty fast for metal when I asked him. As for the other aspects: I'm not sure. I'm still considering these myself and metal is the main genre I listen to. The CKN70s make it a little easier not to buy these though :wink:

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,714 of 3,271
Quote:

Thanks.

A couple of pages back, Twinster compared the 100s to two other IEMs for me with an Alter Bridge song and an In Flames song (as I was worried about the same thing). It should give you a better impression of where the 200s stand in terms of speed. Also, there is another thread with a review of the FXZ100 that - I believe - includes a melodic metal track. Both indicate, despite the post above here, that they are not the quickest and struggle a little to keep up with very fast paced bass.

I haven't heard the 100s or 200s myself though, so I can merely point out the relevant posts. For what it's worth, Twinster reckoned that the FXT90 was a better fit for your genre. The FXT90 is also highly regarded for metal on this board and at the current price definitely worth your consideration. Considering that you have the budget for the 200s, it may also be worthwhile to ask for suggestions in the "Buying portable or in-ear headphones?"-thread. Hope it helps, though no guarantees as I unfortunately haven't been able to listen to them myself!

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2,715 of 3,271
Thanks for your answer.

Nothing very negative, nothing very precise.
My doubt is still here... But i'm impatient and tired to hesitate... So i pulled the trigger !

Now wait & see =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back