JVC HA-FXZ 100/200
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,552 of 3,271
Here it is. I did the listening out of my iPad3 for most of the time and try the second song with adding an O2 amp and iBasso PB1 in the chain. See my comment just the song link.
Quote:

I don't mind a bit dark; I prefer the IE7 over the RE0, and the former is even somewhat veiled. It's just hard to believe that all that extra punch below 100Hz stays clear, so thank you for sharing!

That would be great! Could you see how they handle the two below? That should get me enough reference.. :)

(1)

EQ-5:

1. Clear vocal with good presence.
  2. A bit sibilance from the cymbal crash
  3. Fast Bass well define
  4. Sound a bit aggressive. (Remember this is not my genre)

FXZ-100:

1. Vocal further back but good.
  2. Guitar more present.
  3. Good impact full bass
  4. Sound darker in general
  5. Bass seems to keep the pace but I heard them better.

FXT-90: (Bonus IEM)

1. Good vocal presence.
  2. Not as bright as EQ-5. Warmer.
  3. Fast impact full Bass. More impact vs EQ-5 but less then FXZ-100 but faster.
  4. A bit smaller soundstage. EQ-5 & FXZ-100 seems equivalent in stage size.

Conclusion:

At first when I start with the EQ-5 I liked it but the cymbal crash was bugging me a bit. It could be attributed to the fact that I got accustomed to the darker sound of the FXZ-100 because the are my primary IEM these days. The FXZ-100 sounded good but a would prefer the vocal to be more forward. That is why I introduce the FXT-90. I remember that they had good mid similar to the EQ-5 and it did it for me. The first song was very good with good vocal and guitar presence and fast impact full bass on the FXT-90.

(2)

EQ-5:

1. Clear vocal with good presence (again).
  2. No sibilance on this track.
  3. Fast Bass & drum well define.
  4. Better bass impact on this track.

FXZ-100:

1. Vocal further back but good (again).
  2. Not as Good pace on bass.
  3. Sound heavy in general.
  4. Too dark for my taste.

1. Good vocal presence. Similar to EQ-5
  2. Fast impact full Bass.
  3. Again stage a bit smaller.

Conclusion:

On this track I preferred the EQ-5. The FXZ-100 had a darker presentation and I think they couldn't keep the pace with the extremely fast Bass line & drum. (Again I'm not an expert in this genre and the closest band from my time would be Metalica). The FXT-90 was also good but on this track the EQ-5 was more refine. I also tried adding O2 amplifer to see if I can ear any improvement and the EQ-5 got a boost on the lower range so the Bass was fast with more impact. The FXZ-100 did improve a bit too but I still preferred the Ortofon on that track.

I hope this will help you on making your decision. I know personally for the genre of music I listen too (acoustic, Jazz/vocal, Prog-Rock) I really appreciate the JVC FXZ-100. Also really enjoy this experience and appreciate both song but I think I have my FIX for Heavy Metal for while now. Aurevoir! 
etysmile.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #2,553 of 3,271
I know people insist on saying these do not need amping, but holy moly.  straight out of a hisound 3rd anni, it sounds okay... a bit flat.  I hooked up my e12 just to see what it sounds like and wow. bass boost on. loving it. It took a bad pairing and make it amazing again.  I was considering getting a different iem but I now remember why i loved these that much.  Gotta find a better matching DAP or keep an amp with it.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2,554 of 3,271
Quote:
I know people insist on saying these do not need amping, but holy moly.  straight out of a hisound 3rd anni, it sounds okay... a bit flat.  I hooked up my e12 just to see what it sounds like and wow. bass boost on. loving it. It took a bad pairing and make it amazing again.  I was considering getting a different iem but I now remember why i loved these that much.  Gotta find a better matching DAP or keep an amp with it.

Very true. I use mine at work with a DACport all the time. They are low impedance but power hungry.  
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2,555 of 3,271
Quote:

I put mine through my new C&C BH and they became a whole new level of awesome.  Great IEM's

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #2,556 of 3,271
Wow Twinster, thank you! Much more than I could have asked for, so it's much appreciated. My short comments back to you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(1)

... [comparison] ...

There actually is a little sibillnce on the Youtube track; it's not there on the album track, but I heard it on the clip as well (though it was the best I could find). Didn't want to tell you up front as it could have biased your opinion, but this is actually very helpful. It tells me at least that both JVC's are more forgiving. FWIW it's supposed to sound aggressive, though interesting that the FXZ100 renders the guitars more up front! Also nice comparison with the FXT90. The smaller soundstage puts me off a little, but it sounds like a solid choice at its price point.

Originally Posted by Twinster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(2)

EQ-5:

1. Clear vocal with good presence (again).
  2. No sibilance on this track.
  3. Fast Bass & drum well define.
  4. Better bass impact on this track.

FXZ-100:

1. Vocal further back but good (again).
  2. Not as Good pace on bass.
  3. Sound heavy in general.
  4. Too dark for my taste.

1. Good vocal presence. Similar to EQ-5
  2. Fast impact full Bass.
  3. Again stage a bit smaller.

Conclusion:

On this track I preferred the EQ-5. The FXZ-100 had a darker presentation and I think they couldn't keep the pace with the extremely fast Bass line & drum.
(Again I'm not an expert in this genre and the closest band from my time would be Metalica). The FXT-90 was also good but on this track the EQ-5 was more refine.
I also tried adding O2 amplifer to see if I can ear any improvement and the EQ-5 got a boost on the lower range so the Bass was fast with more impact.
The FXZ-100 did improve a bit too but I still preferred the Ortofon on that track.

Here it is. I did the listening out of my iPad3 for most of the time and try the second song with adding an O2 amp and iBasso PB1 in the chain.
See my comment just the song link.

I hope this will help you on making your decision. I know personally for the genre of music I listen too (acoustic, Jazz/vocal, Prog-Rock)
I really appreciate the JVC FXZ-100. Also really enjoy this experience and appreciate both song but I think I have my FIX for Heavy Metal for while now. Aurevoir! 
etysmile.gif

The parts in bold actually tipped the scale for me. From what I read, the FXZ100 is a very fun IEM. However, for a large selection of the music I listen to, driver speed is essential. I also appreciate some soundstage.. :) Glad you liked the experience. Alter Bridge is actually something I'd consider as hard rock, so sometimes it's good to get across here how we actually define our genres! Thanks again, it was a great read and I'll be ordering the e-Q5.

To calm down after all this metal, here's something I think you might appreciate (based on the sound signature of the FXZ100 and a wild guess of your taste in music):

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,557 of 3,271
Quote:
Wow Twinster, thank you! Much more than I could have asked for, so it's much appreciated. My short comments back to you:
There actually is a little sibillnce on the Youtube track; it's not there on the album track, but I heard it on the clip as well (though it was the best I could find). Didn't want to tell you up front as it could have biased your opinion, but this is actually very helpful. It tells me at least that both JVC's are more forgiving. FWIW it's supposed to sound aggressive, though interesting that the FXZ100 renders the guitars more up front! Also nice comparison with the FXT90. The smaller soundstage puts me off a little, but it sounds like a solid choice at its price point.

The parts in bold actually tipped the scale for me. From what I read, the FXZ100 is a very fun IEM. However, for a large selection of the music I listen to, driver speed is essential. I also appreciate some soundstage.. :) Glad you liked the experience. Alter Bridge is actually something I'd consider as hard rock, so sometimes it's good to get across here how we actually define our genres! Thanks again, it was a great read and I'll be ordering the e-Q5.

To calm down after all this metal, here's something I think you might appreciate (based on the sound signature of the FXZ100 and a wild guess of your taste in music):

Thank you! I really like Elbow as a Band.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #2,558 of 3,271
Quote:
Sorry to repeat earlier questions, but I'm looking for a final answer here before ordering: how are the fxz100's with rock/metal? Do the drivers (especially the sub!) keep up with the speed or does it get a little muddy from time to time?

Really undecided between getting the Ortofon e-q5 or the fxz100. I know, very different sound signatures but I have no chance to audition them so need to figure out if these stay clear enough + give me the impact I look for.. the ortofon's would definitely be clear enough, but may lack a fun bottom end..
wink.gif

Also: how rediculous do they look in your ear? I'll be using them at work, so it would be appreciated if I don't look like a complete fool!
biggrin.gif

Not bad at all, i have medium sized ears and wearing over the ear this is what they look like.  They seem to stay put and on short 2-4km jogs too (i don't use them at the gym though).

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,559 of 3,271
anyone else getting driver flex with stock tips? using medium stock, left driver/ also get flex with sony ex1000 hybrid tips... not a fan of that bending sound

tried out some monster supertips, grey medium- reaaaaally rumbles the bass but somethings a tad off with the mids and highs, perhaps the imaging/staging sounds a bit weird, more congested.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,560 of 3,271
Quote:
anyone else getting driver flex with stock tips? using medium stock, left driver/ also get flex with sony ex1000 hybrid tips... not a fan of that bending sound

tried out some monster supertips, grey medium- reaaaaally rumbles the bass but somethings a tad off with the mids and highs, perhaps the imaging/staging sounds a bit weird, more congested.

yes.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #2,561 of 3,271

What is driver flex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back