JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #511 of 578
I'm not sure what your listening habits are, but I focus on the midrange the most when I listen since that's where the vocals and instruments are. The FX850 are V-shaped and as such the treble is a little louder than the lightly recessed midrange, so when vocals and instruments are at a comfortable volume for me the treble is a little in-my-face. That's where the fatigue comes in for me. These things are certainly not sibilant at all, I'll give you that, but I would never call them warm. They're pretty V-shaped relative to basically every other headphone I listen to.

I know these are Dependant on tips and I still have the original tips on these and I wear them down I only listen to them at a fairly low volumevolume. I listen to a lot rock, country, alternative music with the DX90 only, keep in mind I have only had these a few days.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #512 of 578
I have to reiterate how much I love the tonality of these things. Vocals and strings in particular just have an incredible timbre. Last night I listened to Horses in the Sky by Silver Mt Zion and Black Earth by Bohren & der Club of Gore and was in bliss.

I think I'm warming up to the sound signature a little bit for certain music, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with any other IEMs (or full sized headphones, for that matter) that have a similar tonality to the mids and highs of the FX850, but with a more balanced tuning?

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #513 of 578
I just bought the linum bax cable for this and holy sh%t these sound different, for the better. Everything tightened up and the clarity is unbelievable. I have really never heard and sonic improvement from a cable but with this it is night and day!
I just have to wait to comment with the nay-sayers but yeah there is a difference.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #517 of 578
  Funny, @James444 tried the same exact cable and found no difference..........

Honestly, it's hard not to be impressed by the Linum BAX.

Thing is, this cable is so different from the usual ones, extremely lightweight and pliable, not at all microphonic, unobtrusive and thin to the point of invisibility. When I first tried it, I thought wow, finally a cable that does indeed sound different, noticeably clearer and more transparent than the others. 

But then I put it through the paces, and I have a very systematic approach in doing that. I lie down and dim the light to minimize potential comfort issues and external stimuli, concentrate intensely on the music and mainly play just short infinite loops of music passages I know inside out.

It was then when I realized that the Linum BAX's effect was purely psychological, it sounded lighter and more transparent to me because it felt lighter and more transparent than the others.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #518 of 578
I can see buying a cable for better ergonomics or better build quality, but i still don't see it for sound improvement. Just seems odd to consider the notion that all these manufacturers take the time to develope and design and tune these ear phones, taking so much into consideration like diaphragm materials, housing size and shape, driver placement FR response just to be 1 up'd by a cable....Just my opinion.

Feb 25, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #519 of 578
  I have to reiterate how much I love the tonality of these things. Vocals and strings in particular just have an incredible timbre. Last night I listened to Horses in the Sky by Silver Mt Zion and Black Earth by Bohren & der Club of Gore and was in bliss.

I think I'm warming up to the sound signature a little bit for certain music, but I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with any other IEMs (or full sized headphones, for that matter) that have a similar tonality to the mids and highs of the FX850, but with a more balanced tuning?

Might want to look into the 750 or 650.

Feb 25, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #520 of 578

Honestly, it's hard not to be impressed by the Linum BAX.

Thing is, this cable is so different from the usual ones, extremely lightweight and pliable, not at all microphonic, unobtrusive and thin to the point of invisibility. When I first tried it, I thought wow, finally a cable that does indeed sound different, noticeably clearer and more transparent than the others. 

But then I put it through the paces, and I have a very systematic approach in doing that. I lie down and dim the light to minimize potential comfort issues and external stimuli, concentrate intensely on the music and mainly play just short infinite loops of music passages I know inside out.

It was then when I realized that the Linum BAX's effect was purely psychological, it sounded lighter and more transparent to me because it felt lighter and more transparent than the others.

popcorn.gif
Well put.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #521 of 578
Might want to look into the 750 or 650.

.... Aren't those supposed to be more V-shaped? So less balanced and therefore the opposite of what I'm asking about?

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #522 of 578
.... Aren't those supposed to be more V-shaped? So less balanced and therefore the opposite of what I'm asking about?

You are wrong !

750 is less lows, more mids, more highs, and it doesn't have that dip as the fx850.....in a sense, the 750 is more balanced than 850...... 750 is also the gold medal winner of 2014 VGP in Asia .

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #523 of 578
You are wrong !

750 is less lows, more mids, more highs, and it doesn't have that dip as the fx850.....in a sense, the 750 is more balanced than 850...... 750 is also the gold medal winner of 2014 VGP in Asia .

Interesting, although if anything I'd want less highs and more mids. Not recessed highs or forward mids, just... balanced. I feel like these things are pretty trebley sometimes, but then I'm used to listening to the HD650s. I actually really enjoy the bass despite my strong preference for a balanced sound signature.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #524 of 578
I am too similar to you, and totally agreed. I am not a bass head, but the bass from 750 is something else :xf_eek: I guess it has too much good quality and realistic tones to it, it doesn't even feel like " bass" in a word, but feel lik "drums, :Dbeats"

Give 750 a chance and you may like it better just as much as I love mine

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #525 of 578

You are wrong !

Interesting, although if anything I'd want less highs and more mids. Not recessed highs or forward mids, just... balanced. I feel like these things are pretty trebley sometimes, but then I'm used to listening to the HD650s. I actually really enjoy the bass despite my strong preference for a balanced sound signature.

Try James444's mods for a more balanced sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back