JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Feb 15, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #500 of 578
Hello, I just got a chance to test out a fully burnt Fx850 and I must say,it sounded amazingly good, totally fitted my taste. Even the Hd800 didn't impress me this much.

Good to hear! Im anxiously awaiting for mine to arrive, sometime early next week.

Nice! The guy lent me FX850 said you have to be patient and burn in the 850, it may not impress you at the first listen.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #501 of 578
I still have no explanation why the sound coming from the stock tips with these things is so terrible, especially because they seem to be everyone's favorites. Yes, they're sealing, but they sound blurry and peaky up top, recessed hard in the middle, and muddy in the lower mids but the mid and sub-bass was still tight. Still, I owe an apology.

I think I've found my favorite tips, though. I'm not entirely sure where they're from, I think they're some Philips SHE3590 tips. They're slightly small so they fit very tightly over the nozzle and are kind of a pain to get on. They're also longer and thinner than the stock tips.

Ok, that said, with the right tips on these things they're magical. The bass is more resolving than on my O2 -> HD650, I didn't think I'd hear bass like this since I parted ways with the HE-400. The treble is very smooth and revealing, although probably a few db louder than I'd like. The midrange is very unique, it does sound very real (I've noticed this thread likes the term "natural timbre" which I'd agree with) but is also slightly recessed. Normally, I despise a recessed midrange, but the combination of the quality and quantity of the midrange give these headphones a very impressive sense of space. Very cool, lots of fun to listen to, especially with live albums.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #502 of 578
http://www.yenihayatasml.com/men32015salev1d9r6m1963.php/jvc-kenwood-inear-headphones-hafx850-p-12914.html?action=add_product&zenid=d9118aa9468f9fefc2c27cedde9c494e

Check this site ! JVC selling for 71$ lol
I am not sure but I think it's safe to say "All beware of this fake site !!"

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #503 of 578
http://www.yenihayatasml.com/men32015salev1d9r6m1963.php/jvc-kenwood-inear-headphones-hafx850-p-12914.html?action=add_product&zenid=d9118aa9468f9fefc2c27cedde9c494e

Check this site ! JVC selling for 71$ lol
I am not sure but I think it's safe to say "All beware of this fake site !!"

Yeah, too good to be true. By the way it look, the FX series is a niche product line, and closed market within Japan, part of Asia ? I don't think they can heavily discount it. One day these may even be a collectible items!

So yes, I doubt it. You can fake it all you want from the outside, but the inside wood-dome driver ? Only JVC kenwood knows of that technology

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #505 of 578
  I still have no explanation why the sound coming from the stock tips with these things is so terrible, especially because they seem to be everyone's favorites. Yes, they're sealing, but they sound blurry and peaky up top, recessed hard in the middle, and muddy in the lower mids but the mid and sub-bass was still tight. Still, I owe an apology.

I think I've found my favorite tips, though. I'm not entirely sure where they're from, I think they're some Philips SHE3590 tips. They're slightly small so they fit very tightly over the nozzle and are kind of a pain to get on. They're also longer and thinner than the stock tips.

Ok, that said, with the right tips on these things they're magical. The bass is more resolving than on my O2 -> HD650, I didn't think I'd hear bass like this since I parted ways with the HE-400. The treble is very smooth and revealing, although probably a few db louder than I'd like. The midrange is very unique, it does sound very real (I've noticed this thread likes the term "natural timbre" which I'd agree with) but is also slightly recessed. Normally, I despise a recessed midrange, but the combination of the quality and quantity of the midrange give these headphones a very impressive sense of space. Very cool, lots of fun to listen to, especially with live albums.

Bass is still better on the HE400 although the FX850 is no slouch as you fully burn it in. Regarding, midrange, I really like Shure-like forward mids despise recessed mids as well but all you need is some EQing. Sounds perfectly fine and even more natural when flattened up.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #506 of 578
  Bass is still better on the HE400 although the FX850 is no slouch as you fully burn it in. Regarding, midrange, I really like Shure-like forward mids despise recessed mids as well but all you need is some EQing. Sounds perfectly fine and even more natural when flattened up.

I usually don't like to resort to EQing, but I'll give it a shot one of these days before selling them for something more relaxed and balanced. Dat timbre doe...

Yeah, I would agree that the HE-400 are better. Still, my favorite bass test, the opening deep sub-bass beats of Silent Shout by the Knife, are really tough for some headphones to reproduce without adding some fuzz. The HD650 are even guilty of some fuzz in those lower registers, but the HE-400 and the FX850 are the only two headphones I've ever heard that reproduce those beats as perfectly crisp and clear. So imo it gets 5 stars in the bass department.

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #508 of 578
I haven't had the Tenores in a long time and prefer a balanced, realistic sound, so keep both of those things in mind. Neither the Tenores nor the FX850 are really my cup of tea, although the FX850 are so damn technically proficient it's hard to dislike them. In a way comparing the two is like apples to oranges.

If you like the Shure SE215 sound of warm, dark and bassy then the Tenores are for you. They're not bass monsters like the Shures, but they've definitely got the warm and dark thing going on. Bass is good, balanced and relatively clean, although they don't roll off like they should so the sub-bass has some extra kick to it. This is good for some songs and not good for others. The mids are really frickin' warm, I had to EQ down -3db at 300 Hz to get them to sound balanced in the mids, so If you like really thick, heavy lower mids, you'll love the sound of the Tenores. The treble is their weak suit, somewhat dry and brittle and doesn't really extend at all. Soundstage is OK, but for what it's worth they're not fatiguing at all.

The FX850 are pretty opposite, V-shaped with very exaggerated but incredibly resolving bass, very natural and realistic sounding but recessed mids, and natural treble that is very fatiguing for me after too long because of its volume relative to the midrange (and that's coming from someone who loves Grado!). The FX850 are way, way, way more resolving all around and have better extension in both directions, way better natural quality to the sond. Soundstage is exceptional, the quality and quantity of the mids gives a surprisingly pleasing sense of space.

The FX850 also don't really seal or isolate, and are super heavy whereas the Tenores are tiny and do a way better job at isolation.

Hope that helps @gunnerwholelife

Feb 21, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #509 of 578
I haven't had the Tenores in a long time and prefer a balanced, realistic sound, so keep both of those things in mind. Neither the Tenores nor the FX850 are really my cup of tea, although the FX850 are so damn technically proficient it's hard to dislike them. In a way comparing the two is like apples to oranges.

If you like the Shure SE215 sound of warm, dark and bassy then the Tenores are for you. They're not bass monsters like the Shures, but they've definitely got the warm and dark thing going on. Bass is good, balanced and relatively clean, although they don't roll off like they should so the sub-bass has some extra kick to it. This is good for some songs and not good for others. The mids are really frickin' warm, I had to EQ down -3db at 300 Hz to get them to sound balanced in the mids, so If you like really thick, heavy lower mids, you'll love the sound of the Tenores. The treble is their weak suit, somewhat dry and brittle and doesn't really extend at all. Soundstage is OK, but for what it's worth they're not fatiguing at all.

The FX850 are pretty opposite, V-shaped with very exaggerated but incredibly resolving bass, very natural and realistic sounding but recessed mids, and natural treble that is very fatiguing for me after too long because of its volume relative to the midrange (and that's coming from someone who loves Grado!). The FX850 are way, way, way more resolving all around and have better extension in both directions, way better natural quality to the sond. Soundstage is exceptional, the quality and quantity of the mids gives a surprisingly pleasing sense of space.

The FX850 also don't really seal or isolate, and are super heavy whereas the Tenores are tiny and do a way better job at isolation.

Hope that helps @gunnerwholelife

I agree with most of what you said but I do not find the FX850 fatiguing at all, the warm sound is very relaxing to me. I have worn these for about 4 hours in a row and 8 hours intermittently through out the day. I find my GR07be fatiguing as they can be sibilant.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #510 of 578
I agree with most of what you said but I do not find the FX850 fatiguing at all, the warm sound is very relaxing to me. I have worn these for about 4 hours in a row and 8 hours intermittently through out the day. I find my GR07be fatiguing as they can be sibilant.

I'm not sure what your listening habits are, but I focus on the midrange the most when I listen since that's where the vocals and instruments are. The FX850 are V-shaped and as such the treble is a little louder than the lightly recessed midrange, so when vocals and instruments are at a comfortable volume for me the treble is a little in-my-face. That's where the fatigue comes in for me. These things are certainly not sibilant at all, I'll give you that, but I would never call them warm. They're pretty V-shaped relative to basically every other headphone I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back