JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Jan 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #31 of 780
  @JWbrent
personally, I've found Questyle QP1R pairs better with the FW01 than the mojo.The sound is more dynamic and more open with a bigger soundstage . I just sold my mojo 3 days ago, after I did the A/B test between them. By the way, it doesnt mean the combination Mojo+FW01 sound bad at all, it sounds good to my ear, but I have to sell the mojo, because I prefer the questyle QP1R and HM901 balance to it and besides I dont like stacking for portable use.

p.s. The combination FW01+Tralucent  Uber cable+Questyle QP1R is my most favorite combination ever (beat all the iems,player, and cables, I've owned so far), that means my opinion above is quite bias toward these 3 pieces of gear.

p.s2 In this price range, I think the Audeze iSine 20 is a good competitor to the FW01 regarding sound quality alone (iSine 20 is open and may not suitable for outdoor use), I'm going to buy them soon and I will compare them after that. 

I haven't followed the QP1R since I've been pleased with my 240SS. I'm happy you found a one device solution; I thought that was going to be the result in buying the 240SS, but the Mojo makes such an improvement that I've accepted the idea of a stack. How's the UI and build quality of the QP1R?

A link for the Translucent, or better yet, a picture would be great.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #32 of 780
Yes, the Sony cable looks well constructed. Once my FW01 has more time on it I'll look into a better cable, so thank you for the suggestion.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #33 of 780
When the iSine release notice came out, I was definitely intrigued. I've owned the LCD-2.2 and LCD-XC and had wonderful listening sessions with both (preferred the sound of the LCD-2.2, so that should tell you something about my tastes).

I've since lost interest since it appears they are purposely designed to be EQ'd using the Cypher cable and app. How do the 10s sound using a standard cable?

Using hm901s as is source. Its vocal is more intimate compared to the chyper cable and jvcs. Which is too intimate for me. Less impact on the bass department.

Direct to my phone (htc10) low and high end are not extended properly. Mids are still very sweet though. I think i10 needs some proper driving else the low and high end will be messed up.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #34 of 780
For those who have access to Primal Scream's, "Kowalski" on their streaming site, you should check it out, it really shows off how good the FW01 is. Warning, most people would classify this music as some version of hard rock with electronica thrown in.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #35 of 780
Using hm901s as is source. Its vocal is more intimate compared to the chyper cable and jvcs. Which is too intimate for me. Less impact on the bass department.

Direct to my phone (htc10) low and high end are not extended properly. Mids are still very sweet though. I think i10 needs some proper driving else the low and high end will be messed up.

Thank you for your comments. I don't know the sensitivity or impedance specs on the iSines, but I think you may be right about needing more power for best sound due to the driver design.

I'm approaching 200 hours on my FW01, and they are loosening up. The bass has become fuller, maybe a bit too much.

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #36 of 780
H
Thank you for your comments. I don't know the sensitivity or impedance specs on the iSines, but I think you may be right about needing more power for best sound due to the driver design.

I'm approaching 200 hours on my FW01, and they are loosening up. The bass has become fuller, maybe a bit too much.

Just asking about the fuller bass, is the bass as big as the fx1200 woodie?

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #37 of 780

I haven't followed the QP1R since I've been pleased with my 240SS. I'm happy you found a one device solution; I thought that was going to be the result in buying the 240SS, but the Hugo makes such an improvement that I've accepted the idea of a stack. How's the UI and build quality of the QP1R?

A link for the Translucent, or better yet, a picture would be great.

The pictures of my set up,the tralucent Uber cable is not quite suitable for outdoor use (walking or commute). It's a thick cable and not much flexi. The cable is very expensive (firsthand), but you can find reasonable offer in the classified.  Anakchan shrot review
http://www.head-fi.org/products/tralucent-audio-uber-cable/reviews/8933

About the QP1R, It a very good sound device, but may be too bright to many ears.It's very energetic, very engaging and a detail monster. The build quality is great very  beautiful, slim  and solid. However the UI is as bad as the HM901 UI (click wheel and so on), If I already had the 240SS and loved the Hugo sound, I may not buy QP1R because I may not like the sound sig.

have a nice day listen to the FW01 :p

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #38 of 780

I want to stop the FW01;s burn in right here, if you said the bass is fuller after 200 hours  :p, by the way you still have 200 hours to go 

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 780
Tried the i20 and i10 today. Forget about the i20. Imo i10 is better. Both have simillar AMAZING soundstage. Very expansive. Amazing imaging and clarity. But the i20 somewhat sounds darker and murkier. Using the chyper cable i manage to tune the i10 sounds amazing and you can eq them to your liking. But its still sounds a bit plasticky. Fw01 sounds more organic and the woody timbre, meaty punchy low end, and its smoothness is still unbeatable.

I think i10 is better technically. But i prefer fw01. i10 bass sounds too accurate and tight for me

Thank you, for your suggestion, I will try them first before I make a decision, cus many people did mentioned that the iSine10 is airier like you said. I will try them soon and will give my impression here

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #40 of 780
H
Just asking about the fuller bass, is the bass as big as the fx1200 woodie?

No, not the same as the FX1100/1200. The bass is prominent, but it is more detailed and doesn't intrude on the lower midrange ... as much from what I'm now hearing after 200 hours of play time.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #41 of 780

The pictures of my set up,the tralucent Uber cable is not quite suitable for outdoor use (walking or commute). It's a thick cable and not much flexi. The cable is very expensive (firsthand), but you can find reasonable offer in the classified.  Anakchan shrot review
http://www.head-fi.org/products/tralucent-audio-uber-cable/reviews/8933

About the QP1R, It a very good sound device, but may be too bright to many ears.It's very energetic, very engaging and a detail monster. The build quality is great very  beautiful, slim  and solid. However the UI is as bad as the HM901 UI (click wheel and so on), If I already had the 240SS and loved the Hugo sound, I may not buy QP1R because I may not like the sound sig.

have a nice day listen to the FW01 :p

Yes, that is one thick cable. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 780
If anyone hasn't already done so, sign up for the free 60 day TIDAL trial. The MQA files now listed play back with the desktop app in 24/88.2 or 24/96 resolution.

Fantastic sound!

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #44 of 780
Can i ask something?

i have the FX-700 and i have an issue with left earpiece. The wire partial losses connection so the sound sometimes stops to come from that.

Is anyway to disassemble itit and fix it or no? Its pity to through them away.

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #45 of 780
  Can i ask something?

i have the FX-700 and i have an issue with left earpiece. The wire partial losses connection so the sound sometimes stops to come from that.

Is anyway to disassemble itit and fix it or no? Its pity to through them away.

I imagine there is a way to repair them, have you contacted JVC service?

It terms of fixing them yourself, if you feel skilled to do such a thing, the rear cap should screw off to gain you access to the inside. It will take some delicate work to resolder the cable. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back