JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Jan 7, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #16 of 780
I think the FW01 presents an opportunity to music lovers: a lot of money can be saved due to a relatively low cost reference IEM ... which can then be allocated to a DAP or transport & DAC/Amp. This is the part of the system we interface with the most, so buying a quality source, I think, is a good way to begin the process of building a satisfying music system.There is so much variability in sound with headphones and IEM, that it's going to take some time experimenting before one fully understands their preferences, and that is why starting with a quality source makes sense since you don't want to keep changing source gear while you're trying to decide on what sound you like.

Besides the FW01, the Mojo DAC/Amp represents a fantastic value. Rarely does this level of sophistication come at such an affordable price of $600. The Mojo works very well with the FW01 and there's plenty of power to do some serious damage to your hearing.

That leaves the transport ... I use the AK240SS because there have been comments on Head-Fi about how great it is as a transport. I'm sure the steel unibody chassis is helping with its greater density over aluminum, dampening vibrations and rejecting external noise.

I'm interested in hearing about other's systems—there's no one right way to get great sound.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #17 of 780
I think the FW01 presents an opportunity to music lovers: a lot of money can be saved due to a relatively low cost reference IEM ... which can then be allocated to a DAP or transport & DAC/Amp. This is the part of the system we interface with the most, so buying a quality source, I think, is a good way to begin the process of building a satisfying music system.There is so much variability in sound with headphones and IEM, that it's going to take some time experimenting before one fully understands their preferences, and that is why starting with a quality source makes sense since you don't want to keep changing source gear while you're trying to decide on what sound you like.

Besides the FW01, the Mojo DAC/Amp represents a fantastic value. Rarely does this level of sophistication come at such an affordable price of $600. The Mojo works very well with the FW01 and there's plenty of power to do some serious damage to your hearing.

That leaves the transport ... I use the AK240SS because there have been comments on Head-Fi about how great it is as a transport. I'm sure the steel unibody chassis is helping with its greater density over aluminum, dampening vibrations and rejecting external noise.

I'm interested in hearing about other's systems—there's no one right way to get great sound.

Personally, on AK240 my FW02 sounds V-shaped with much emphasis on the bass and a recessed mids, I believe it's due to the insufficient power of AK240 to drive the FW02.
But on my Opus #2, FW02 comes alive and very balanced rather than the V shaped sound.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #18 of 780
Personally, on AK240 my FW02 sounds V-shaped with much emphasis on the bass and a recessed mids, I believe it's due to the insufficient power of AK240 to drive the FW02.
But on my Opus #2, FW02 comes alive and very balanced rather than the V shaped sound.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, for me, the Mojo makes all the difference in the world compared to just using my 240SS to drive the FW01.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 780
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, for me, the Mojo makes all the difference in the world compared to just using my 240SS to drive the FW01.

Mojo has all the power to drive most iems and headphones with authority & it's sounds really musical with a slight hint of warmth.
Yes, you are right, JVC woodies sounds really really sweet on the Mojo.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 780
Mojo has all the power to drive most iems and headphones with authority & it's sounds really musical with a slight hint of warmth.
Yes, you are right, JVC woodies sounds really really sweet on the Mojo.

+1

Jan 9, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #21 of 780
Well, I had a very interesting, and frightful, experience with my FW01 yesterday.

I accidentally dropped one of the earpieces into a cup of espresso. I was able to retrieve it after about a second of submersion, but I was fearful that my brand new FW01 would be negatively affected by this mishap.

I dried off the affected earpiece as much as possible and left them near my patio door where I hoped the sun and breeze would completely dry everything. I was worried the wood fibre driver got wet not know how this might impact its performance.

I'm happy to report everything sounds as it should! I'm going to have to be more careful with my coffee drinking ...

Jan 9, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #23 of 780
Well, I had a very interesting, and frightful, experience with my FW01 yesterday.

I accidentally dropped one of the earpieces into a cup of espresso. I was able to retrieve it after about a second of submersion, but I was fearful that my brand new FW01 would be negatively affected by this mishap.

I dried off the affected earpiece as much as possible and left them near my patio door where I hoped the sun and breeze would completely dry everything. I was worried the wood fibre driver got wet not know how this might impact its performance.

I'm happy to report everything sounds as it should! I'm going to have to be more careful with my coffee drinking ...

Makes me more careful with my coffee drinking next time!

UxIITmC.jpg

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #25 of 780
@JWbrent
personally, I've found Questyle QP1R pairs better with the FW01 than the mojo.The sound is more dynamic and more open with a bigger soundstage . I just sold my mojo 3 days ago, after I did the A/B test between them. By the way, it doesnt mean the combination Mojo+FW01 sound bad at all, it sounds good to my ear, but I have to sell the mojo, because I prefer the questyle QP1R and HM901 balance to it and besides I dont like stacking for portable use.

p.s. The combination FW01+Tralucent  Uber cable+Questyle QP1R is my most favorite combination ever (beat all the iems,player, and cables, I've owned so far), that means my opinion above is quite bias toward these 3 pieces of gear.

p.s2 In this price range, I think the Audeze iSine 20 is a good competitor to the FW01 regarding sound quality alone (iSine 20 is open and may not suitable for outdoor use), I'm going to buy them soon and I will compare them after that. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #26 of 780
@JWbrent
personally, I've found Questyle QP1R pairs better with the FW01 than the mojo.The sound is more dynamic and more open with a bigger soundstage . I just sold my mojo 3 days ago, after I did the A/B test between them. By the way, it doesnt mean the combination Mojo+FW01 sound bad at all, it sounds good to my ear, but I have to sell the mojo, because I prefer the questyle QP1R and HM901 balance to it and besides I dont like stacking for portable use.

p.s. The combination FW01+Tralucent  Uber cable+Questyle QP1R is my most favorite combination ever (beat all the iems,player, and cables, I've owned so far), that means my opinion above is quite bias toward these 3 pieces of gear.

p.s2 In this price range, I think the Audeze iSine 20 is a good competitor to the FW01 regarding sound quality alone (iSine 20 is open and may not suitable for outdoor use), I'm going to buy them soon and I will compare them after that. 

Tried the i20 and i10 today. Forget about the i20. Imo i10 is better. Both have simillar AMAZING soundstage. Very expansive. Amazing imaging and clarity. But the i20 somewhat sounds darker and murkier. Using the chyper cable i manage to tune the i10 sounds amazing and you can eq them to your liking. But its still sounds a bit plasticky. Fw01 sounds more organic and the woody timbre, meaty punchy low end, and its smoothness is still unbeatable.

I think i10 is better technically. But i prefer fw01. i10 bass sounds too accurate and tight for me

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #27 of 780
Just got myself a Sony upgrade MMCX cables for my FW02 and now my FW02 sounds slightly brighter and have more treble sparkle. Very nice, love it!
This Sony cable is also very well made.

Side note: I tried the more expensive Silver Dragon cable but I cannot hear any difference from the stock cables. This Sony is cheaper yet very impressive. You guys should try it!

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #28 of 780
Just got myself a Sony upgrade MMCX cables for my FW02 and now my FW02 sounds slightly brighter and have more treble sparkle. Very nice, love it!
This Sony cable is also very well made.

Side note: I tried the more expensive Silver Dragon cable but I cannot hear any difference from the stock cables. This Sony is cheaper yet very impressive. You guys should try it!

Picture please ...

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 780
Tried the i20 and i10 today. Forget about the i20. Imo i10 is better. Both have simillar AMAZING soundstage. Very expansive. Amazing imaging and clarity. But the i20 somewhat sounds darker and murkier. Using the chyper cable i manage to tune the i10 sounds amazing and you can eq them to your liking. But its still sounds a bit plasticky. Fw01 sounds more organic and the woody timbre, meaty punchy low end, and its smoothness is still unbeatable.

I think i10 is better technically. But i prefer fw01. i10 bass sounds too accurate and tight for me

When the iSine release notice came out, I was definitely intrigued. I've owned the LCD-2.2 and LCD-XC and had wonderful listening sessions with both (preferred the sound of the LCD-2.2, so that should tell you something about my tastes).

I've since lost interest since it appears they are purposely designed to be EQ'd using the Cypher cable and app. How do the 10s sound using a standard cable?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #30 of 780

Users who are viewing this thread

Back