JVC HA-FD01 Class S Solidege
May 22, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #286 of 428
I played a bit with the tuning of the FD02 and reduced the covered area of the nozzle to boost the upper frequencies a bit more.
With the coverage shown in this photo, the mids get attenuated by about 4dB, which gives a bit more sparkle and upper mids/treble energy.

I also tried them without damping again to have a baseline and they get fatiguing very quickly and can sound hollow, tinny and brash. With the mod it's smooth, open and clear.

I'm still a big fan of these. In 2 weeks I'll get my AK T8iE MKII, that will be interesting.

That fatigue was exactly what I experienced first time I used them without mod...

May 22, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #287 of 428
So i see the FD02 for around 230$ on ebay. Is ebay a good place to buy them. Havent heard about any fakes. Or would you prefer amazon.jp? What were the best sale prices for FD01 and FD02? If i remember correctly FD01 once went for 280$ in a sale...
Can you give me an impression on weight? I had the IMR Acoustics R1 iems and their weight was bordering on what is acceptable for me (not sure how much gramms they are, would need to look up specs)...

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #288 of 428
So i see the FD02 for around 230$ on ebay. Is ebay a good place to buy them. Havent heard about any fakes. Or would you prefer amazon.jp? What were the best sale prices for FD01 and FD02? If i remember correctly FD01 once went for 280$ in a sale...
Can you give me an impression on weight? I had the IMR Acoustics R1 iems and their weight was bordering on what is acceptable for me (not sure how much gramms they are, would need to look up specs)...
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B076W9W5PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are amazing after the mod. I was really surprised how much the mod effected the sound for the better. Having the three filters to play with the mod is a great benefit and very easy to do and also reverse. The two ply alcohol mod is the mod I use. James, the guy who originated the mod should be commended because of how much this changes this IEM for the better.

May 22, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #289 of 428
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B076W9W5PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are amazing after the mod. I was really surprised how much the mod effected the sound for the better. Having the three filters to play with the mod is a great benefit and very easy to do and also reverse. The two ply alcohol mod is the mod I use. James, the guy who originated the mod should be commended because of how much this changes this IEM for the better.

So, for around 250€ with the discount would you consider the FD01 a better value proposition than the FD02 for around 177€?? 177€ seems bonkers! On ebay they go for 228$/204€...

@ amazon.jp https://tinyurl.com/y6ol3b44

If i just knew how to order on a japanese site lol.....maybe you could link me to a guide...
I would need to register with a japanese fake account on amazon.jp or how does it work ordering stuff from there?

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #290 of 428
So, for around 250€ with the discount would you consider the FD01 a better value proposition than the FD02 for around 177€?? 177€ seems bonkers! On ebay they go for 228$/204€...

If i just knew how to order on a japanese site lol.....maybe you could link me to a guide...
I would need to register with a japanese fake account on amazon.jp or how does it work ordering stuff from there?

Yes, you need to create a specific account on Amazon JP, then (at least for EU) you will see the prices including shipping and importation costs. Was around 220-230 Euros in March

May 22, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #291 of 428

The FD01 in my opinion must be modded. Without the mod it would not work for me. I think the FD02 does not have a removable filter and would need more skilled hands than mine to mod. You would have to set up an account with Amazon Japan separate from any other account you have with Amazon and order that way. The results after the mod are not subtle but very much for the better.

May 23, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #292 of 428

The FD01 in my opinion must be modded. Without the mod it would not work for me. I think the FD02 does not have a removable filter and would need more skilled hands than mine to mod. You would have to set up an account with Amazon Japan separate from any other account you have with Amazon and order that way. The results after the mod are not subtle but very much for the better.

@ShredOhr about the weight - they are not light, but their compact size and round shape makes them rest comfortably in my concha and I have had zero discomfort even after hours of listening. In fact I actually enjoy the feeling of wearing them.

@ncristia the FD02 also needs the modding, they are very similar. But you are right, the mod developed by @james444 can only be done by removing the grills on the FD02 (they can be lifted off and put back on), so this is not that easy or convenient as with the FD01. The tape mod is easy to do, but maybe not as durable.
So if the budget is tight, the FD02 is as good as the FD01, except for the cable, which should be changed for best SQ and a good sound stage.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #295 of 428
Hey @surfgeorge I saw your response to my question in the recommendations thread and after reading through this thread, the FD02 sounds really promising. It's interesting that you mentioned you have a T8IE MK2 coming in, very interested to hear your impressions on that, as I've had my eye on the Xelento/T8IE as well (so far i think they might be too bass heavy, but they could still be tempting as it would sound very different from anything else I have).

I returned the ibasso IT04 as it was uncomfortable in my ears and I think I overall prefer a tad more warmth.

Still have the Fiio FH5 and debating if I should keep them or not. While the mids are a bit more forward than I'd prefer, and the highs not as crisp as I'd like, I am starting to take a liking to the sound signature. It's pretty smooth and has some warmth to it, and the low-end is quite good. Definitely plenty of quantity, though not the end in terms of low-end detail retrieval (my over ear Sony MDR-7520 is king in that department, and I think the EX800 probably sounds similar to my 7520). The FH5 is otherwise very comfortable in my ears, can wear them for hours without issue.

Anyway, looking forward to you comparing the FD02 and T8IE, at which point I'll decide if I'll pull the trigger on the FD02 (or perhaps the T8IE or Xelento as those two should sound pretty similar).

May 25, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #297 of 428
@dhl1010 trebor recommended me the Nobunaga copper cable and I got the 3,5mm SE for the Mojo.
Nice cable, very comfortable and well made but unfortunately started corroding.
Today I built a balanced pure silver cable and it sounds a little brighter and faster than the Nobunaga, but is stiffer and more microphonic.
Can’t really say yet what I prefer. The Nobunaga is warm and full, the first impression of the silver cable is on the leaner side but good in a different way.

@Ahmad313 the FD01 limited edition comes with one additional copper nozzle, so 4 instead of 3 nozzles. Otherwise it is identical.

@starfly sure, I will report about the FD02 vs the T8iE! I hope the transport arrangement works then I will get it in 10 days.

May 25, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #300 of 428
@dhl1010 trebor recommended me the Nobunaga copper cable and I got the 3,5mm SE for the Mojo.
Nice cable, very comfortable and well made but unfortunately started corroding.
Today I built a balanced pure silver cable and it sounds a little brighter and faster than the Nobunaga, but is stiffer and more microphonic.
Can’t really say yet what I prefer. The Nobunaga is warm and full, the first impression of the silver cable is on the leaner side but good in a different way.

How you compare your silver cable to the original JVC cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back