JVC FXZ200 vs. JVC FX700
Feb 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dryvadeum

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEM's and have either the JVC FXZ200 or JVC FX700 in mind as I want good impactful, textural bass. I dont mind a bit of loose bass.

What are the main differences between these two? Which is better?

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 19
both are amazing, some main differences:

FX700 (off memory):

-more 'airy' in its sound, they have huge vents on them

-the mids take a slight backseat to the bass and treble as those are the main focus of them, altough mids still has incredible micro-detailing

-not sure what the technical term is, but they have this awesome 'crunch' in their sound

-bass is great, textured, deep-  up untill the fx200's I thought it was the best on the market in that price

-great imaging, placement of sounds is awesome

FXZ-200 (no burn in yet, probably about 50-60 hours on them of daily use):

-BASS, they have subwoofers in them, more textured and goes deeper than the fx700's (which is a reaaaally hard thing to do). Bass a bit loose at first, which some people might prefer, but as burn in occurs it looks like it'll tighten up and get more controlled. Best bass i've heard in any iem, and holds its own against many full sized phones

-each frequency is in your face, nothing takes a backseat. its a triple dynamic driver IEM and it shows. those subs only come out when needed, but in no way bleed into anything else.

-incredibly detailed mids, lush, crisp

-vocals in your head, less about witnessing a stage and more about being on stage

...just some thoughts

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

FX700 (off memory):

-the mids take a slight backseat to the bass and treble as those are the main focus of them, altough mids still has incredible micro-detailing

-not sure what the technical term is, but they have this awesome 'crunch' in their sound

-bass is great, textured, deep-  up untill the fx200's I thought it was the best on the market in that price

-BASS, they have subwoofers in them, more textured and goes deeper than the fx700's (which is a reaaaally hard thing to do). Bass a bit loose at first, which some people might prefer, but as burn in occurs it looks like it'll tighten up and get more controlled. Best bass i've heard in any iem, and holds its own against many full sized phones

-each frequency is in your face, nothing takes a backseat. its a triple dynamic driver IEM and it shows. those subs only come out when needed, but in no way bleed into anything else.

-vocals in your head, less about witnessing a stage and more about being on stage

...just some thoughts

Thanks. Looks like I'll go for the FXZ200 - wish I had known of these before I bought the AT CKS1000's.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

FX700 (off memory):

...just some thoughts

how the the quality/details of mids and treble? is the treble just as bright as FX700?

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 19
The main difference between these two are presentation, mids and soundstage size, FX700 offers bigger soundstage, more focus on bass( amazingly deep and reverbing heavy bass) and extended detailed highs with high resolution mids but no forward as FZX200 or SE535. The FZX200 presend music in your face like Grado type with smaller soundstage with heavier bass and forward detailed mids and less focus highs but still detailed and present. So if you listen more acoustic music like jazz, vocals, instrumental, indie then FX700 is recommended because it has amazing crispness warmth to it sound due to wood housing and if you listen bassheavy pop, rock, country, Hip Hop/Rap, R&B then FXZ200 is great buy.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 19
I wrote this about the FX700 a while back:

FX700: I can see why some regard it as the best dynamic universal. Timbre is great, detail is ridiculous, and it has this extremely lively, edgy sound that can be addictive on the right songs. The treble extends to the feet of Zeus, and the bass reaches down to the depth of the river Styx. Sorry, I love Greek mythology. I wouldn't consider the midrange recessed, it's just not that forward. It's there and it's detailed, but you can tell the bass and the treble are the stars of the show. There's a whole lot of bass, but it's so rich and textured that it's never really a problem. The overall sound is just so open, and the imaging is addictive. I feel like I'm listening to a headphone moreso than an iem, a really engaging headphone. The only (personal) con that I have with with it is that there is just so much treble on some songs. I feel like the overall sound is tilted towards the upper regions, with lots of bass to prevent the sound from becoming cold or overly clinical. When I listen to instruments like drums and cymbals, I can hear the treble boost in the overly lively snap of the snare, or the slight splashiness of the cymbals. I also feel like the treble tilt improves the apparent detail presented. Going back and forth with the GR07 on Mumford and Sons' "Little Lion Man," the FX700 presents about 5% more detail in the opening guitar sequence. Would I keep them for my daily use? No. They're a bit too aggressive, even at less than 1/2 of my iphone's volume and the mids are a bit dry for my taste. Otherwise, they're an EDM lover's dream come true, and the ultimate incarnation of the V-/U-shaped signature.

And I wrote this about the FXZ-100, which is supposed to be 95% of the FXZ-200:

[size=10pt]It took me a while to get a good grasp of the FXZ-100's sound signature. [/size]

[size=10pt]The first thing I noticed was that this thing has a crap-ton of bass, to a point where it made some songs painful to listen to at moderate volumes. However, something was off and I couldn't really tell what it was. A couple of listening sessions later, it hit me...the mids! They were actually almost as boosted as the bass, and pretty damn clear too. It was a bit distressing to me at first as I've never heard anything like it before, where an iem with more than enough bass to satisfy all but the most extreme bass-head could still have such presence in the mids.[/size]

[size=10pt]Not everything is peaches and cream, though. With that quantity of bass, some level of bleed does occur quite often. It's not always bad though, as it tends to lend a good deal of heft to vocals. Other times, it just gets in the way. The other issue comes from the mostly awesome midrange. I mentioned earlier that the midrange was nearly as boosted as the bass, and sometimes it really shows in the form of shrill vocals and percussion.[/size]

Conclusion
 ​
 ​
I was pretty impressed with the FXZ-100 after getting used to its signature. However, certain flaws dropped its value in my eyes. Now that I've A/B'ed it against the MH1C, I realize that the FXZ has no place in my collection of iems, especially given its value for money. Its tuning, though special in the midrange, is a let down in the bass area. Most of its reposnse is mid-bass focused, and really gets in the way of a lot of music.

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #11 of 19
I currently have JVC FX700 and PFE 232. I use an EQ app on my iPod Touch

***Disregarding the numbers, I don't think this EQ app is very strong.

FX700

PFE 232 Black filter

So do you guys think FXZ200 is a suitable IEM for me?
As for the soundstage, I don't really like front and back. I really like the fact that FX700 is wide and has good depth.
I hope FXZ200 can match FX700 in sound quality and in treble quantity. Those are my main concerns.
Bass is a concern too but since you guys mentioned that FXZ200 is bassy heavy, i'm not worried then.

and my music preference is mostly pop/punk rock, some hip pop and some pop. But I listen to rock differently than most though. I boost my bass and treble as you can see from the screenshot.

Thanks for your input guys!

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just make recently a comparison between the 2. It is done in Spanish I'm sure you will be getting most of it.

http://reproductormp3.net/index.php?topic=17728.0

great comparison (had to use auto-translate), I share many of the same thoughts and this makes me miss my lost fx700's even more. I'm pretty content with the 200's for now... maybe down the road I'll pick up another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back