JVC DX1000's Arrived Yesterday!
Jun 25, 2007 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

madmax7

500+ Head-Fier
Ordered from Audio Cubes on Monday, Got here on Saturday! Burning in right now with Pink Noise. First impressions are, very good! Very tight bass, but not muddy or overpowering, it's like a hybrid made of my RS2's and HD650's without the veil of the Senns and without the brightness of the Grados. I'm running them trough my Woo 3 with Amperex 6DJ8's and a Western electric 421A. I had heard that these were bass heavy cans, and while they do have low bass and lots of it, it's not overwhelming in the least. So, that being said, we shall hear how they are after some cooking! So far, very, very nice!
icon10.gif

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 39
Grats man, welcome aboard.
3000smile.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 39
Thanks man! Any amp suggestions would be welcome! By the way, this is the first time I have ever read any of your posts, I just always stare at your avatar!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 39
Congratulations! I think you will love them!

As for amps, I am not sure of your price range. Out of the three amps that I have (mentioned below and a Cary SLI-80 F1) I have found great synergy with the Headroom Desktop.

Happy Listening!

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 39
Welcome to the club, Madmax7!

Notice that you can rotate those earcups (from inside) in order to find the best angle for your ears. (It's like the Denon's in this regard.) You will want to be careful doing that, of course, but it does withstand some spinning.

I'm also a happy DX1000-HeadRoom Desktop combo owner. (BTW, the HeadRoom Max DAC is spectacular!)

Cheers,

Jun 25, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 39
Congrats man! They are very nice phones. Have tried them at the last meet and from I can recall, they are better than Sony CD3000 by far. Very easy and natural sounding. Not talking about their comfort. They are big, but very light.
Great product from JVC

Enjoy
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 39
Congrats, they look absolutely stunning. I have to order a pair myself, need to discuss funding with the wife though
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks man! Any amp suggestions would be welcome! By the way, this is the first time I have ever read any of your posts, I just always stare at your avatar!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I would say the Corda Opera is a perfect match with the DX1000s but you probably wouldn't read it.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 39
Oh man you just HAD to say that! I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the Opera! I will say this however, at this point, the JVC's sound incredible, Beating the HD650's except mayyyyyyybe soundstage width and that's all. They sound better to me than the RS2's as well, matching their highs punch for punch. This all out of the Woo 3 however, and we all know the RS2's dont synergize well with the W3. I cannot get these cans off of my head! Wait, what is it you were saying? (eyes wandering)
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

First impressions are, very good! Very tight bass, but not muddy or overpowering, it's like a hybrid made of my RS2's and HD650's without the veil of the Senns and without the brightness of the Grados.

that is an interesting description. i have never heard these phones before. maybe next meet. they look great as well. wooden headphones are classy. congrats on the purchase. nothing more exciting than new gear.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats man! They are very nice phones. Have tried them at the last meet and from I can recall, they are better than Sony CD3000 by far. Very easy and natural sounding. Not talking about their comfort. They are big, but very light.
Great product from JVC

Enjoy
wink.gif

I know you're joking because you said they were natural sounding.
tongue.gif
These, simply put, are some of the funkiest sounding headphones I've ever heard. Not bad, but definitely some of the funkiest. Their tone lent me to believe they'd do acoustic and perhaps some jazzy offerings quite well if their color was what you were after, but vocals were kind of creepy in how the midrange was scooped out. Not scooped out like Grado's or Audio Technica's, a totally different flavored scoop, but scooped nonetheless. Do any DX1000 owners concur with this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7
First impressions are, very good! Very tight bass, but not muddy or overpowering, it's like a hybrid made of my RS2's and HD650's without the veil of the Senns and without the brightness of the Grados.

I feel you on that one actually. Not a bad description at all, but like I said, midrange is a different flavor from Grado, imo.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Oh man you just HAD to say that! I have been very close to pulling the trigger on the Opera! I will say this however, at this point, the JVC's sound incredible, Beating the HD650's except mayyyyyyybe soundstage width and that's all. They sound better to me than the RS2's as well, matching their highs punch for punch. This all out of the Woo 3 however, and we all know the RS2's dont synergize well with the W3. I cannot get these cans off of my head! Wait, what is it you were saying? (eyes wandering)
tongue.gif

Don't say that.. I never been as fasinated with a under 1,000 headphone like the DX1000

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #15 of 39
I don't know what it is with these! Now mind you, they only have about 20 or so hours of pink noise burn in along with a few hours of music. But they just sound so damn good! Now I am by no means qualified to judge these cans vs. many others, as I have only owned the SR80's, RS2's and the HD650's. But I know what my ears like. and they like these, A LOT. When I put the Senns back on, It sounds like everything is a little "veiled" ( I even pulled the foam pads out and used nylon stockings to help brighten things up a bit). But with the Senns, it just seems like the music is coming from behind a curtain, and when I hear the JVC's, it's like the curtian has been lifted. Mind you, my 650's do have the Cardas cable upgrade, so we are not talking about a stock cable either. I cannot count the RS2's out because they simply clip out on the Woo 3 at higher volumes, but I did have the Xcan V3 for the RS2's and from what I can remember, they did not sound as well as the JVC's.

Now, other reviewers of the JVC's talked about it being very bass heavy, but I don't find that to be the case, it does go down low, but it's very clean in my ears, not bloated in the least. Of course that is most likely source dependent. Others have also called the mids colored and "odd" but again, to my unexperienced ears, the mids sound very nice. Soundstage is very deep but not as wide as the Senns, and possibly the RS2's, but not to a fault. So again, as of right now, these cans sound so amazing, and they are soooo comfortable and non fatiguing, that I cannot remove them from my dome!

I Have listened to a wide variety of music so far to test these out. To name a few; Buckethead, Audioslave, Rush, The new Genesis SACD box set (amazing quality) Stevie Ray Vaughn, Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium (which by the way has taken a beating for poor sound quality, but I find it excellent btw) I broke out some old Rush MFSL gold cd's that sounded great, Creed, Pink floyd, Sublime, Some old Iron Maiden remasters, King Crimson's Red in HDCD (awesome) just to name a few. So far nothing has sounded anything other than perfect. Anyways, thats my 17 cents so far!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back