JVC Dx1000 Have Arrived.
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Cecala

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally after a 2 week interval, Mr JVC or at least EMS has come to pay me a visit and deliver my eagerly awaited Super phones. I present to you the JVC DX1000 earphones. Sorry no camera although I will see what I can do. Haven't tried them as yet although a quick look inside the box and wow-vvvvvery nice.
I will get back later with some impressions.
580smile.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
580smile.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHAT!? ....... but your not listening to them? Shame on you..
eggosmile.gif

Get listening dude!

Well Yes and No.
Their burning in with some Pink Noise. I did have a quick 1 minute listen and they didn't sound any better than my Sony MDR570 which they will replace. Mind you this is freash out of it's box and connected to a very old cd player. I don't have an amp at the moment although I plan to purchase the Headroom Desktop Max+Max setup in the next couple of days or so. I think this phone will benefit immensely with a Class A amp such as the Desktop. The comfort aspect is ideal I think, like putting your head between 2 pillows. The Isolation compared to my old Sonys is head and shoulders better. The fit and finish is very good and the cord is very thick and luxurious. This is my very first Audiophile phone although I've had phones all my life. Shame on me for not updating any sooner. I will update later after some more burning in.

Oct 3, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Like candy to look at, feel, and wear, aren't they?!
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 20
Welcome to the DX1000 club, Cecala! I bet you won't want to cancel your membership!

It's good to hear that you don't expect all these phones can give you before getting a top-flight amp. But we still want to have your first impressions.
basshead.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 20
Come on mate. We are waiting for impressions.
basshead.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 20
Yes! As soon as they get some good burn-in time, tell us what you think about them at that time.
I've been pondering getting these cans for quite a while now....

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 20
I have let the phones play with about 4 hrs of pink noise last night and couldn't wait any longer. Firstly lets deal with the comfort issue. The pads are so thick and lush, it really does feel like your ears are pressing against a pillow. There is plenty of space inside the cups for your ears so getting it right will not be an issue. The clamping pressure at this time is a little firm for me. Please bear in mind that the headphone arch is new and subsequently rather stiff and needs time to mellow a bit. Also the sad fact of having a large head doesn't help either, YMMV. The arch itself is easy to readjust while being worn, despite having read the opposite here, thankfully this was not the case( having to take of the phones for realignment would be a nuisance). The JVC is very well made, handsome and very solid with a decent presentation in its cardboard box. Someone stated that the box provided does not lend itself to a phone of this caliber,- perhaps. Although, I'm sure the majority would prefer the money being spent on the phones, not the box. The cable appointed is very thick and luxurious, extending very nicely and falls flat with no twists. It has a nice weight to it, then terminates with the wooden gold plug at the end. BTW, the colour of the wood is quite dissimilar to all the photos I have seen on this forum. It is slightly lighter in tone and more directed towards brown than red and furnished with a good wood grain showing through.

Now the sound dept. Please remember I currently do not have a proper amp nor the mandatory or required audiophile experience and vernacular to chronicle and construe these with, so take my comments with the necessary due care. I listened initially with an old Cd player then watched a film on a DVD player. After the 4 hrs of pink noise, the bass has stated to blossom in a way which makes me appreciate that a week or two from now will end with my head coming apart. It is obvious to me that these things are capable of delivering some serious bass. At the moment it still feels awkward and slightly maladroit although through all that one can sense a power unleashing, coming to the fore with vengeance. It never spilled into the midrange and causing some abnormality there at all. The midrange to my ears felt about right, open in the middle with no forwardness nor recession and with plenty of lustiness or did I mean lushness.The so called honky or reverb-heavy midrange described by others as a signature attribute was not that evident on my set. I believe it to be very mild and much to my liking(Soundinista-You were right). The highs do feel a bit rolled off though, let me stress that this is very mild and nothing to worry about. If anything it is quite pleasant in its delivery or application. The level of detail this phone conveys is awfully good, although here too I could sense that the JVC wanted to give more and will so after more burning in.

The soundstage was one aspect I was looking forward to as I love being in a wide space and these do not disappoint. Quite deep but I am expecting much more though after I pair it to my Headroom Desktop Max+Max.

Thats all for now. Again remember this is a pre -burned set with no proper amp attached for this appraisal. I have a feeling that I may have not quenched peoples appetite for a proper and just review. Fear not, when my Max+Max arrives in a week or two I will do a follow up addition and with further burn-in should see a quantifiable improvement in the positive domain.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now the sound dept. Please remember I currently do not have a proper amp nor the mandatory or required audiophile experience and vernacular to chronicle and construe these with, so take my comments with the necessary due care.

Fooled me! Your descriptions are quite clear, and it seems that you are enjoying them and that's the key!

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wallet just started whimpering again....

Same here. But wmcmanus' avatar reminds me that Santa will be coming to town soon. Have you been good boy?
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #13 of 20
If people have any direct questions that relate to the review or topics that I've failed to cover please fire away. I'm sure I've left out a bunch of stuff.
I'm trying to get hold of a camera to show how good these phones look and the impressive build quality. Its a very positive foundation to first open the box and gaze upon the sheer beauty then feel how good this phone is, even before its plugged in for its intended use.
As a side note, do not close the cardboard box without the phones being inside.
You will curse everyone and everything trying to open it again.

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. But wmcmanus' avatar reminds me that Santa will be coming to town soon. Have you been good boy?
wink.gif

I am doomed....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back