Just wanna say hi
Mar 28, 2009 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

blackcoffee

New Head-Fier
Been into music for at least 25 years, picked up my first guitar more than 20 years ago and listen to most kinds of music. Beeing an engineer, I also naturally are drawn to the equipment side of things...

A couple of weeks ago, a few friends started talking about headphones - and one guy (almost blind due to illness, thereby relying more and more on hearing) mentioned his new AKG-701:s. One week ago I got myself a pair for 701:s and they are now starting to be "broken in" - once again I remember how much fun it is with Hifi! I can spend hour after hour with Miles Davis, Rammsten or Beethoven in my ears just dissapearing. (a small glass of cognac also helps!
beerchug.gif
)

I also got a CMOY kit on the way in, and plans for making a tube based amp - just for fun, I like electronics. Point to point tube amps combine visual esthetics with good enginering and good sound when done right.

Due to my rock'n'roll years playing bass in a rock band (once 1987-1990 and once 2003-2004) and countless festivals and concerts (as audience, not performer!), my ears might not be up to par with the best of guys here, but I do know what I like. Also it made me picky regarding the lower end of the sound spectrum - the sound of a hard pick on rotosound strings on a Fender Precision bass guitar through an slightly overdriven Ampeg tube head and a fridge sized 8x10 speaker is really revealing!

I've also got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT250:s which sounded good in my ears until I got the AKG:s. On the other hand, playing hard rock in the AKGs makes me look for something in between the two... Again returning to the P-bass reference, the DT250:s got the full bottom, the vibration you would feel in the stomach, while the 701:s got the pick sound, the attack, the life of the bass notes. But I still miss a quality headphone amp and the phones have more time before the settle if I should believe what's written on the net... This is fun!

My normal stereo is centered around a pair of decade old KEF Reference speakers which are the best consumer speakers I've heard.

I'll doublessly have many questions here, and I also hope that I can contribute somehow.
darthsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet....

Thanks. Actually, my wallet prefers headphones to vintage guitars and the like...
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 27
Welcome!
Check out our COFFEE threads in the members lounge!!!
Coffee and headphones go good together
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really enjoyed reading your intro. Welcome!

Thanks! [
smily_headphones1.gif
]

By the way, I'm swedish, so please excuse me for sometimes abusing the english language.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome!
biggrin.gif

There's always somethings to learn. The guys at pmwf.com have their beer thirty threads and you guys have coffe. Culture difference?
wink_face.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 27
Nice intro blackcoffee. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 27
Welcome to Head-Fi and skol! Glad to have another DIY enthusiast on board, too! I wish you success with the CMoy and you will have a great time building a tube amp. There is a good variety of interesting tubes and circuits for headphone amps not used for speaker amps. Have fun and keep us updated on your work!

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 27
Mar 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome!
biggrin.gif

Welcome aboard blackcoffee!!

I agree DragOn. I think the headphone/music listening on coffee is better than on a liquor.

Hilarious video Mcmanus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back