Just to make sure the ATH-M50s are for me....
Nov 26, 2010 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

InfinityGuitars

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been researching the perfect headphones for the past month now, with my original intent being on purchasing the Sony MDR-XB500. However, my eyes came across a little gem that's popular around these parts on Amazon. They were, of course, the ATH-M50s. I researched the hell out of them, and I'm pretty much almost set on them. I'm not, however, absolutely sure these are for me, however. Here are my preferences:
Type of Headphone: Closed, Full Sized, over ear
Source: iPod Nano, 4th Gen, Unamped
Primary use: Music (And enjoying it!), Home and portable use
My most popular music preferences: Electronic rock, Hip Hop, Rap, Trip Hop, Punk, Rock, Lo-Fi, Psychadelic, Noise pop, "Indie", and smidgets of other genres.
Price Range: $100, I could probably stretch, say, $10-15 more.
Not a bass head, but a nice amount is always great. Sorry I can't describe what type of 'sound' I like, due to the fact that I'm rather new to Headphones, but I've read that the ATH-M50s are studio monitors. Does that mean that they are very analytical and can catch every little sound? 
My other bit of concerns:
My ears are average sized
I have a 'large' head, I guess, not watermelon huge
Comfort
--
Are there any other headphones I should be considering? The other headphones that I've considered are the Shure SRH-440s, M-Audio Q40s and the Sony MDR-V6s.
All opinions, considerations and help are appreciated.
Thanks

Nov 26, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 18
As am I. I have been on pretty much the same journey as you in this regard. I say go for it, that's what I'm doing, I'm getting them.

From what I've heard, they look great, they sound great, they are well built, and cheap. The only thing I would say to you is that they are studio monitors (I know you said you knew that), and being studio monitors they are supposedly supposed to sound 'flat' whatever that means. Basically its that they don't color the sound or change frequencies around. Essentially all these 'audiophile' people will make up a ton of adjectives and descriptive words to describe the indescribable, overall the M50's are just a great pair of cans, I say buy them.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 18
You might want to be careful though.

There have been recent issues about the new production M50s. I have yet to get my hands on one, but they're supposed to pretty bad. I might be misinformed, but I would do some research before anyone decides to purchase the M50s new at this time of year. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
You might want to be careful though.

There have been recent issues about the new production M50s. I have yet to get my hands on one, but they're supposed to pretty bad. I might be misinformed, but I would do some research before anyone decides to purchase the M50s new at this time of year. 

Can you back up your post with a link or more information? Nothing I've seen or heard supports your statement.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 18
hudamanium isn't too far off, there was a thread which talked about it a few days ago. Forgot the title though. They linked to this article at headphonia which compared a very burned in and brand new m50. They did, however, say that the differences were pretty subtle though. Maybe there are other issues with the new versions as well such as build quality?

http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #8 of 18
I know there's a newer 2010 version of the M50 but I don't think it was bad. This year we saw a huge spike in it's popularity due to the price to performance, most of the sales are of the 2010 model which must be doing something right even if it was Audio Technica cutting costs and delivering a cheaper product.

I will say this if your looking at getting an XB500 then  to think the M50's going to be just better at everything is a bit wrong. I wouldn't compare them cause the M50's doesn't have The punch you'll get from the XB500.

I'm actually receiving my Shure SRH750DJ's ion the mail some time next week they are more similar to the XB500 then the M50 is. They are also another headphone to look at cause you can get them for $114 new on Amazon. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #10 of 18
Get the M50s, you won't regret it.  I got mine a couple weeks back and have been enjoying them every day.  As for the thread which talked about potential 'problems' with 2010 models, I did read that article on the headphonia site and the results from what I remember were inconclusive, and even if there was a very minor difference, it was hardly noticeable. 

My previous set of cans were the M50's little brother, the M30's, and like yourself I lurked around here and other sites for quite some time soaking up all the information I could.  There are dozens of new threads every day in which I am learning about other headphones that might be better or worse, and the myriad of amp/dac/lod combos, but I got tired of researching the topic and just pulled the trigger. 

BTW, even though the M50's are very efficient and don't really require an amp (well, that depends on who you talk to I guess), I already had a PA2V2 amp and find it works very well with the M50.  This little gem of an amp can be had for around 60 bucks shipped, do a search for the appreciation thread for more info.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 18
If you read the thread in question critically as well as many of the comments you come to find that there weren't so much 'issues' as there were 'differences'. And many of those differences were LIKED or PREFERRED over the previous model. They admit outright the differences are negligible to most people and that the sound was not 'worse'. I say ignore the post altogether, as so much of this nonsense permeates the community, people look for things where there are none. Audiophiles surely exist, and so does good quality sound (which is in essence subjective), but they take it to an idiotic level sometimes. Just go for it, buy the M50's.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks guys for clearing things up. Like I said I may have been misinformed. I don't know details about the new production M50. Just letting the op know about possible differences so he can read about them himself.

Nov 27, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 18
Misinformed, with no first hand experience of these so called issues. Why bother commenting then?

Like I've posted elsewhere, there's a reason the M50 is one of the first cans recommended at this price range (hint: it's because they're good and not because we get royalties from the sale of every unit).

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 18
Because I feel like people who are going to invest money into a product should read as much as possible about it?

Its already been clear that there are differences, for better or worse. Possibly negligible or simply build differences. I'm not sorry I commented, in fact I'm glad I brought it up. I can understand if you're upset that people are just spreading rumors and accusations about brands or headphones that are completely untrue but in this case my statement above was partially correct. I'll leave the mistake about whether it was worse or not in the above comment because I don't like changing comments. If I made a mistake people should see it. 

Either way though, there does seem to be a difference in the 2010 model, just simply letting the OP know so he can read about it :D No need to get all fussy about it, we're all here to help. 

I'm pretty sure most people who want to buy the M50s as their first headphones will appreciate knowing as much about it as possible. I know I would! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back