Just thought I'd share this...
Jun 11, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #16 of 69
understand it, yes. Be utterly weirded out by it? yes again.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
understand it, yes. Be utterly weirded out by it? yes again.
biggrin.gif

I suppose so, it is rather a geeky thing to desire somone on a count of. But at least it isn't as shallow as wanting them for some other reasons. This reason has the makings of a good friendship underlying it, the posibilty for mutual enjoyment of a hobby, certainly better in most women's eyes that being interested in them because they have long gorgeous legs or somesuch biologicly determined nonsence. That is my best guess anyway. Share a woman's interests and you share a part of her life, wheaher you want to or not.
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 69
I think the contrary, let me explain why.

First off, lust is a very normal human feeling, pushing it aside only makes you push away the normal feelings which make you the human being you are. Thinking a woman is gorgeous and hitting on her for that reason is perfectly fine, physical attraction is as important as the rest.

Hitting on a woman because she likes headphones, even if you share the same hobby, is, in my opinion, worse. First of all, you're hitting on her because of a material link between you two, not because of feelings. That's more disrespect towards her than hitting on her because she has beautiful legs imho. Headphones dont make a woman, legs, in a way (not that there arent many more important ways of course), do make up a woman, physically speaking anyway.

Hitting on a girl because you share the interest of liking quality audio and solely for that purpose seems a bit extravagant to me. There are far better qualities to look for in a woman than how well she can tell apart the quality of different cans... and far many better ways to respect her rather than hitting on her because you're attracted to her hearing...

Anyway, just a thought...

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #19 of 69
Personally, I'd ask what the girl was doing later when she finished listening to my headphones, and ask her if she had an iPod or CD player or something. Combine my cans with her player and BAM, instant synergy! At least I would try and hang out with her for a bit before asking her out on the mere pretense of audio enthusiasm, you know, get to know her, then move in slowly for the kill
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 69
I understand what you are saying, but it seems particularly inconsistent with what you profess to think about the reason's for attraction. At least in my mind anway. You said the pysical attraction is as important as the rest, I would say that physical attraction has its place and it is neither huge nore small, in fact it mostly matters between the two people in question and not for any of us. If it is big for the two of "you" then it is big, if it isn't then it isn't. With that being said I would suspect that the makings of a good relationship have just about everything making up each of the people weighed in equally. If you are to get along with someone well there are thousands of parts of your personality, both mentaly and physicly, that have to work themselves out.

In this case a part of each person is that they know about Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones. I extrapolated, or assumed if you perfer, that because both of them know about the DT880 that a good part of their interest in personal electronics, possibly even the headphone hobby and all that surrounds that kind of interest would mesh better with these two. It is not neccisarily the case, but possibly so.

The material link you speak of is the same kind of material link as liking a woman for her legs, her headphones are as much an extesion of her mind and her efforts in life to obtain moneys to buy the headphones as the intrinsic biological arangment of her molecules, but in the case of the headphones they are her choice to have. They represent not only the physical posession but the interest and her mentality, her personality and who she wants to put her time into being. The legs she could love and want or not care about, either way she did not put the effort into getting them and most likely "if she even has them" would not appreciate. Now I understand that having something naturaly doesn't make it any less a part of you than working your way to getting soemthing, but nothing I had by nature, by my parents or biologicly is as special to me as that which i have worked for. I don't enjoy hanging out with people that are skinny white dudes, but I do enjoy hanging out with headphone dudes. I don't particularly need someone to like me for the pimples all over my face, but if they do that is awsome, but loving me for my interes in automobiles and my desires to build my own car and work on it and make it the best it can be I do want. I just don't get that same feeling if someone desires me because I want to clear off my acne and look better, get what I am saying?

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Personally, I'd ask what the girl was doing later when she finished listening to my headphones, and ask her if she had an iPod or CD player or something. Combine my cans with her player and BAM, instant synergy! At least I would try and hang out with her for a bit before asking her out on the mere pretense of audio enthusiasm, you know, get to know her, then move in slowly for the kill
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

BTW, the marry her comment was intended as a joke. I also am a proponent of slow and careful development of friendships.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
BTW, the marry her comment was intended as a joke. I also am a proponent of slow and careful development of friendships.

Oh, I know. And I agree about taking it slow. I've seen alot of people move too fast and lose it. I certainly don't want anything like that happening to me, but I have no luck with ladies, so I can't really apply the sentiment.

Man, I'm depressing myself just thinking about it. Ack!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Oh, I know. And I agree about taking it slow. I've seen alot of people move too fast and lose it. I certainly don't want anything like that happening to me, but I have no luck with ladies, so I can't really apply the sentiment.

Man, I'm depressing myself just thinking about it. Ack!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Abe

Here is to all the guys on Head-Fi that have no significant other, or don't have a significan't enough other. Our time will come boys. For now we must practice how to treat a woman properly with our electronics, the same care and devition will payoff in the end that glorious day we see our ladys face, but till then its searching for correct imaging of Bono's vocals on Red Hill Mining Town.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #24 of 69
So, what cans does SHE own anyway? -Makes mental note to take his HD25's with him more often, and replace the 10-year old pads before doing that-

How would girls like to hear about how you modded your EX71's in four different ways?

Maybe I should start giving out KSC-35/50/75's? Oh, let's dump the 50 first :p

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

If you share the same interests then fast and careless can be successful too
icon10.gif

If you lose it, then you were going to lose it anyway: put it down to experience and move on.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
If you lose it, then you were going to lose it anyway.

Many people belive this, it is somewhat logical. I however tend more towards those that think care and effort is what makes relationships last, mostly because the only person you get along with truely well is yourself, and even then there are so many conflicts its freakin' rediculous. Pyschology class makes you hate ourself and learn to appreciate everyone else, hehe. Gotta love taking two psychology classes in your life, kinda makes you feel like you don't have any control over who you are.
eek.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by allenf
I married her...here we are 9 years later!
icon10.gif

w00t, well done! And just how fast DID this happen?

Edit: and PtheD, i'm more an advocator of the opposite line of thought - that one has complete control over who one is. When its all rationalised, dissected, cut up and analyzed it may seem like some sort of pre-determined system of cause and effect, but ultimately, if the mind doesn't want to accept X or Y conditioning factor/inbred belief/external influence, it need not. Easier said than done i know, but possible.

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
w00t, well done! And just how fast DID this happen?

Well, we had been friendly for a couple of years but when we both became available simultaneously it was plainly of a deterministic nature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

Or just shared interests & good luck...
icon10.gif

Quote:

Many people belive this, it is somewhat logical. I however tend more towards those that think care and effort is what makes relationships last

In the long term that is absolutely correct, couldn't agree more.
And that doesn't preclude self-expression either!
Where were we with the 880's again..?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back