Just thought I'd share this...
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #31 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
I understand what you are saying, but it seems particularly inconsistent with what you profess to think about the reason's for attraction. At least in my mind anway. You said the pysical attraction is as important as the rest, I would say that physical attraction has its place and it is neither huge nore small, in fact it mostly matters between the two people in question and not for any of us. If it is big for the two of "you" then it is big, if it isn't then it isn't. With that being said I would suspect that the makings of a good relationship have just about everything making up each of the people weighed in equally. If you are to get along with someone well there are thousands of parts of your personality, both mentaly and physicly, that have to work themselves out.

In this case a part of each person is that they know about Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones. I extrapolated, or assumed if you perfer, that because both of them know about the DT880 that a good part of their interest in personal electronics, possibly even the headphone hobby and all that surrounds that kind of interest would mesh better with these two. It is not neccisarily the case, but possibly so.

The material link you speak of is the same kind of material link as liking a woman for her legs, her headphones are as much an extesion of her mind and her efforts in life to obtain moneys to buy the headphones as the intrinsic biological arangment of her molecules, but in the case of the headphones they are her choice to have. They represent not only the physical posession but the interest and her mentality, her personality and who she wants to put her time into being. The legs she could love and want or not care about, either way she did not put the effort into getting them and most likely "if she even has them" would not appreciate. Now I understand that having something naturaly doesn't make it any less a part of you than working your way to getting soemthing, but nothing I had by nature, by my parents or biologicly is as special to me as that which i have worked for. I don't enjoy hanging out with people that are skinny white dudes, but I do enjoy hanging out with headphone dudes. I don't particularly need someone to like me for the pimples all over my face, but if they do that is awsome, but loving me for my interes in automobiles and my desires to build my own car and work on it and make it the best it can be I do want. I just don't get that same feeling if someone desires me because I want to clear off my acne and look better, get what I am saying?

I get what you're saying, however you don't get what I'm saying.

The point is not what YOU think is better, the dt880 interest OR the great legs, but what SHE thinks is better. Ask a woman if she'd rather get hit on for liking a pair of headphones or because her legs are great - you'll see what I mean.

Surely, superficialness (if thats a word) comes in various forms for sure, wether it is a biological lust or an attraction towards the vague assumptions the girl is into headphones because she knows the name of your pair and wants to listen to them...

I agree with you, it is more important to apprehend peoples' personalities, but basing the girl's personality on the single fact that she knows the model of your headphones is completely ridiculous, in the least. Do you believe giving a girl proper respect is judging her on this single fact rather than having a perfectly normal physical attraction to one of her best body parts, here the legs?

I think my opinion is clearer now
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
I agree with you, it is more important to apprehend peoples' personalities, but basing the girl's personality on the single fact that she knows the model of your headphones is completely ridiculous, in the least.

You are correct that extrapolating an entire personality from a person's knowledge of the model of headphones is unadvisable in any situation. You can however get an incling that she may fit with you better in this one area then most. Probabilty is on your side that she knows more than the average person about headphones. I never would become interested in someone because they know what a DT880 is, I would become interested in them because of what I found out about them after knowing they know what a DT880 is. I would suspect that the correlation coefficient of people that know what a dt880 is and those that are interested in the personal electronics hobby is that of a significant positive nature. Leads to all kinds of posibitlys for similar ground, but they are only posibilitys and unknowable untill further interaction with said individual can be had, which will not be had by us anyway.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #33 of 69
What is the male vs. female ratio here in Head-Fi forums?

Also, everytime you go to one of these head-fi meets, what is the male vs. female ratio?

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan

Also, everytime you go to one of these head-fi meets, what is the male vs. female ratio?

I created a poll that should answear your first question, I will link to it shortly...

The meet that I went to I noticed one woman, and I belive that she was a latched-on attendie, that is she was taking her son or picking her husband up or something.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #35 of 69
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #36 of 69
Quote:

but basing the girl's personality on the single fact that she knows the model of your headphones is completely ridiculous, in the least.

It broke the ice, yes?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, in my experience of life, ugly Ducklings have a habit of turning into beautiful Swans.
Too much Hollywood rots the brain don'tcha know it
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
You are correct that extrapolating an entire personality from a person's knowledge of the model of headphones is unadvisable in any situation. You can however get an incling that she may fit with you better in this one area then most. Probabilty is on your side that she knows more than the average person about headphones. I never would become interested in someone because they know what a DT880 is, I would become interested in them because of what I found out about them after knowing they know what a DT880 is. I would suspect that the correlation coefficient of people that know what a dt880 is and those that are interested in the personal electronics hobby is that of a significant positive nature. Leads to all kinds of posibitlys for similar ground, but they are only posibilitys and unknowable untill further interaction with said individual can be had, which will not be had by us anyway.

I'll stop you right there. Probabilities dont work on women
wink.gif
I would never approach a woman while calculating the probabilities of me liking her due to her possible interest in headphones...

The only positive thing with her having a possible interest in your headphones is the probable chance to successfully engage a favorable conversation, and maybe find out she is a woman which you may enjoy being with, simply.

Suddenly liking a girl because she knows what your headphones model is, is not just geeky, its unthought of completely. You're liking the girl "because" she has an interest in headphones, your interest is primarily in headphones and not in the girl, and women feel that. Show her it is her you like instead of ranting about how you prefer tubes instead of solid state and how the new opamps you ordered sound super great with your amp...

Anyway all this to say that liking a girl because she likes headphones is completely ridiculous for the simple fact that it is headphones you like, and not necessarily the person... You're picking the person based on her hobbies and your interest in that very hobby, not because of their personalities at all, in this case, its all about you, not her, as the only thing you know about her is that she knows about dt880 and is curious as to how they might sound.

If you get into a conversation with the girl thinking "she likes headphones she must be right for me" then you're assured a total fiasco for sure.

Jun 11, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

I'll stop you right there. Probabilities dont work on women
wink.gif
I would never approach a woman while calculating the probabilities of me liking her due to her possible interest in headphones...

The only positive thing with her having a possible interest in your headphones is the probable chance to successfully engage a favorable conversation, and maybe find out she is a woman which you may enjoy being with, simply.

Suddenly liking a girl because she knows what your headphones model is, is not just geeky, its unthought of completely. You're liking the girl "because" she has an interest in headphones, your interest is primarily in headphones and not in the girl, and women feel that. Show her it is her you like instead of ranting about how you prefer tubes instead of solid state and how the new opamps you ordered sound super great with your amp...

Anyway all this to say that liking a girl because she likes headphones is completely ridiculous for the simple fact that it is headphones you like, and not necessarily the person... You're picking the person based on her hobbies and your interest in that very hobby, not because of their personalities at all, in this case, its all about you, not her, as the only thing you know about her is that she knows about dt880 and is curious as to how they might sound.

If you get into a conversation with the girl thinking "she likes headphones she must be right for me" then you're assured a total fiasco for sure.

Fortunetly I am not sugjesting falling in love with someone because they might have an interest in headphones. I am stating the undeniable scientificly reproducable fact that a person with similar interests has a higher probability of being a friend/lover than someone who doesn't.

As you say liking a girl because of her headphones is rediculous, however learning about a person through their interests is one of the best ways to discover if you are compatable.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #39 of 69
...but not a good way at all to approach a woman whom you know nothing about but her slight interest in headphones if you're thinking about more than friendship, which is the subject at hand.

I suggest we drop this as its becoming rather pointless...

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #41 of 69
I suppose, if you have lost interest. It is just about as pointless as talking about anything theoretical, but with a little less consiquence in our lives imediatly than some theoretical discussion. Subject now dead.
frown.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #42 of 69
Well sorry for arguing the better way to hit on girls with you but I would much rather spend my time researching more about which tube amp I'm going to buy while my girlfriend shrugs and shakes her head while I spend another 1000 bucks on a new toy
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Well sorry for arguing the better way to hit on girls with you but I would much rather spend my time researching more about which tube amp I'm going to buy while my girlfriend shrugs and shakes her head while I spend another 1000 bucks on a new toy
biggrin.gif

Excellent idea, btw, I will now continue my girl friend less life
eek.gif
with the itching notion that you may just have everything right cause you gots one and I don't
tongue.gif
, hehe, I really am not afraid to say it as it is am I?
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan

probobly like 123000 : 1

anyway, this has to be one of the biggest loser threads out there (I'm having problems with my smilies, I was gonna put the joke one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back