Just Received my PortaPro KTC!
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tenchi211

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Fellow Head-Fi-ers!

Just received the new Porta Pro KTC headphones! As you can see, the KTC comes in totally different packaging than the original Porta Pro. I'm planning on taking more unboxing photos as well as do a review on these phones. I just wanted to take a quick photo or two to show you guys the outer packaging! I hope to have a review for you in a couple of days.

Mike.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 7
More unboxing photos:

I've included comparison photos with the original Porta Pro as well as my very rare Porta Pro 2000 (pardon the deteriorating ear cushions, I have not been able to locate any replacements as of yet). 

A couple of early observations: the PP KTC has a straight gold plated plug as opposed to the right angle nickel plated plug on the original PP, and I'm glad because the KTC now fits my Speck FabShell Burton iPhone 4 case, and the wiring on the PP KTC  overall feels  a bit thinner than the original, although side by side comparisons dispute this.

Anyway, like I stated earlier, I look forward to posting a review and doing a shoot-out with the original Porta Pro. I'm actually going to do a shoot-out between all three Porta Pro models, although I haven't listened to my PP 2000's in quite awhile due to them being so fragile. I'll keep you guys posted. 

Mike.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Looks good, how do you like it so far?

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a couple of early listening impressions: Right off the bat, they sound exactly like the original Porta Pros. Which is to say, not bad at all. I'm not really one for breaking in new phones, but just for kicks, I tried these with my Simpl A1 amp sandwiched between the iPhone 4, and WOW!! I've been listening to this combo now for about an hour, and, believe it or not, this combo almost approaches the sound of my UE Triple-fi Vi! The Simple A1 has really opened up the midrange something fierce on these! All this time and I NEVER thought to try this combo before! I usually use the A1 with my Sennheiser HD 580's and iPhone 4. 

The Porta Pro soundstage is still somewhat narrow, but considering the price of this headphone, that's to be expected. Bass is outstanding for this headphone. Even better with the A1 amp kicking in. I'll definitely have more to say about this combo tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep now. I'll be taking these to work with me to listen.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm doing a shoot-out of the Porta Pro KTC with my Original Porta Pro, the Triple-Fi 10 Vi, and the Etymotic ER-4P, and so far, my results are as follows:

The two Porta Pro models sound exactly the same (which should be the case being that the only "feature" added was the inline remote/mic). The soundstage is somewhat narrow and the treble is veiled. The bass is the definite strong point with the Porta Pro. For a $30-$40 headphone, it's a remains an excellent value, and if you pair it with a portable amp, it'll flesh out the mid range a bit more. I can't say how it'll sound with most amps, but it shines with my Simpl A1. In my earlier post, I also mentioned how the Porta Pro/A1 combo almost approached the sound of the Triple-Fi 10 Vi. Well, that'll teach me to not to be too hasty. After more extended listening, that is not quite the case. The Triple-Fi bass is deeper, louder and just better quality, and the treble and imaging is better.

I know this is a review about the Porta-Pro, but I must say a few words about the ER-4P: In my opinion, it is the best headphone in this bunch. It doesn't play as loud as the Triple-Fi 10 Vi or the Porta Pro, and it gets smoked as far as amount of bass, but this headphone DOES EVERYTHING ELSE BETTER THAN EITHER OF THE OTHER PHONES. It is airy, the midrange is better, and although there isn't as much quantity when it comes to the bass, the bass it produces is very high quality. And this is with a variety of music ranging from Jazz, Pop, R&B and Latin. This of course is my opinion, and I love each one of these phones, but it seems like I'm always coming back to the Etys. They are THAT good!

As far as my opinion regarding the Porta Pro KTC, my advice is if you don't need the remote/mic, get the original Porta Pro, and save yourself some cash. I don't think it's worth the extra $40 just to get that. The extra money would be better spent on either better headphones or an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back