Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost!
Mar 11, 2012 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

BlueAlien

New Head-Fier
I finally caved and purchased the Schiit Lyr and Bifrost. I currently have AKG k702's which run off of a Marantz 2252. I notice a drastic sound quality improvement as the volume increases to detrimental levels. 

I will be doing a co-op at Cisco for the next 6 months and figured I can now afford to drop a grand on some sweet audio gear!

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 28
Congrats on your purchase, the Schiit Lyr is an excellent amp.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 28
I received the Bifrost and the Lyr today! They sound amazing compared to my computer's audio out and the Marantz. Even using the Lyr as a preamp for my speakers sound great.

I do have a question about the Bifrost. I am using USB to connect it. In my playback devices, I have a digital option and a speaker option for it. The digital does not work but the speaker option does. Does it make a difference which one I use?

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
I do have a question about the Bifrost. I am using USB to connect it. In my playback devices, I have a digital option and a speaker option for it. The digital does not work but the speaker option does. Does it make a difference which one I use?

I think you already answered your own question. I disabled the digital output option on mine to clean things up and everything works fine.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 28
I'm pretty sure that marantz has an excellent headphone out. 

You should try connecting your bifrost to the marantz and seeing how that sounds, then do some comparisons between both amps with the bifrost

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:
I received the Bifrost and the Lyr today! They sound amazing compared to my computer's audio out and the Marantz. Even using the Lyr as a preamp for my speakers sound great.

I'm lost?

If it's any help, for connecting to the Bifrost.
Schiit recomends using the Coaxial > optical > USB.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 28
Congrats!! This a very nice stack of schitt you've got yourself. I owned the lyr for awhile and was very impressed with it. Liked it so much that I just bought a used asgard yesterday.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
Congrats!! This a very nice stack of schitt you've got yourself. I owned the lyr for awhile and was very impressed with it. Liked it so much that I just bought a used asgard yesterday.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would love to hear your impressions of the asgard/HE400 combo at some point, MattTCG.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but would love to hear your impressions of the asgard/HE400 combo at some point, MattTCG.

Sure...np. I won't have it till Monday. I'll be using the htr msii as dac. If I forget, just shoot me a pm by mid week and I'll let you know what I think.

Matt

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

You FINALLY decided on an amp?
biggrin.gif
  Congrats on the purchase, and hopefully this time your used amp will actually turn on and produce sound!
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I understand you can use the bifrost with an ipad and pure dock anyone tried it or know of some one who has, looking for some feed back
Sorry to hijack your post
biggrin.gif

I didn't use the ipad, I used iPod Touch with the Pure i-20 and Bifrost for a time.  I don't know if iPad has the same problem as iPod Touch, but it turns out that there's a very frequent "click" sound that is part of a known apple flaw in the the USB out connection that Apple keeps trying to sweep under the rug and delete all reference to.  I contacted Pure support who informed me of this, and told me that there's a cold restart trick to get it to sound right, which I'd read about before in the forums.  Unfortunately, for me, the trick didn't solve the problem.  Maybe because I was streaming the audio from a DLNA server with Wifi on instead of playing locally.  In the end I ended up shelving the I-20 and buying a Squeezebox Touch instead.  Much happier all around.

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 28
Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know if it is possible to drive IEMs with the Lyrs? Given their power output, they seem to be quite alright with regards to current. Just not looking to fry my Sennheiser IE8s!

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know if it is possible to drive IEMs with the Lyrs? Given their power output, they seem to be quite alright with regards to current. Just not looking to fry my Sennheiser IE8s!

I use my IEM's with the Lyr/Bifrost combo.  With your IEM's disconnected and the volume knob at zero.  Power on the Lyr, wait 20 seconds, connect IEM, adjust volume to taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back