Just pulled the trigger on a DT-231
Jan 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

nylan8301

1000+ Head-Fier
My wife was really pretty mad at me for selling my PXC-250's a while back, and I was going to order a DT880 from B&H when they were giving away a DT231 with it. However, I was not quick enough on the draw, and so I decided to just buy them for my wife anyway. Should be here in 3-5 days.

I'll let you know impressions beyond that.

Nylan

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 17
It's pretty unpopular here on head-fi. Even though it's rated high on headroom, my personal expirience with them tells that they no really closed cans(leaks in and put), with undeveloped bass and strange midrange. But i can't say they're bad-sounding pair of cans. They're comfy.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 17
I haven't even had mine for a full day yet, so I can't offer a whole lot of insight. But I do like them so far. They're reasonably comfortable. I wish the cups were bigger (spoiled by my DT880s), but for a pair of office headphones, they're doing the job so far. I much prefer them to the last set of office phones I tried, the Sennheiser HD205s.

Jan 30, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 17
I bought my father a pair of these a few years ago. They're pretty good if you can get them at a relatively low price.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 17
Bought a pair (the purple ones) for my wife - was so impressed with their value I picked up another pair on the cheap.

They don't get to much talk here, despite the headroom glowing reviews, but I think that they're great for what they are

The soundstage is pretty narrow but they aren't sharp or shrill or thin at all and are very enjoyable and musical (no, they don't really qualify as closed cans though).

My wife listens to here from a a system we share (non os dac and PPA with steps) and they actually sound very nice (surprisingly so).

They are much more compfortable than any other can I've tried in their class (little velour earpads are great - baby versions of the big beyers).

It is pretty funny how they don't get recommended here more, especially with headroom rightfully touting them.

For a sub $50 set of cans you can't really go wrong.

oh by the way, they sound great unamped from detailed daps like the cowon d2

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a sub $50 set of cans you can't really go wrong.

That's exactly the problem, though. If you go looking for them, the prices range from $50 to $70. At $40 i would recommend them to everybody.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 17
I think I bought my wife's set on ebay for $40 some dollars shipped (bought my used pair for $20)

Even at $50 or so I don't really know what else I'd recommend.

SR-60 is great but if you aren't into it (fatigue, fit, double entry cable, etc.), the beyer is a nice alternative

I preferred it to the senns strongly, but that's probably more a matter of my personal taste

Preffered it to the Kosses too - opting for lack of bass to flabbiesh bass

Koss with a 75 ohm adapter were nice though - but a different sound than the beyers

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 17
i think people here recommend px100 or maybe k81/518 here for cheap, cheaper portable headphones. i like dt131/dt231 a lot. both are the same except one is "called" a closed one the other is open. it is comforable and very all rounded can. it sound a lot better when amped. i like dt231 better than both px200 and k518 on sound alone but i still using k518 is because it is really a closed can. to me, my portable can has to be able to block out noise from outside

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 17
I should probably offer a little more information about why I chose these for my wife.

My wife is very picky. She really liked my PXC-250 because they canceled a fairly good deal of sound and the audio quality was fine for her needs. I asked her if there was another pair she would like.

Her qualifications were: supra-aural, closed, cheap headphones that weren't too big (so she could take them to work), and could be used on her computer for music and occasional gaming. I searched high and low for something OTHER than a pair of PX-200's (I'm not a fan of the sennheiser house sound).

Lo, I find the DT-231's. Headroom seems to love the heck out of 'em, so I thought why not. She doesn't have an ear for audio quality, and these look more comfortable and possibly seal better than a pair of PX-200.

That..and I could occasionally borrow them for night-time listening...

Nylan

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 17
I like the DT231 better than a PX200, but not as much as a K81dj, Philips HP460, or maybe an HD205, all of which can be had for less. I only A/B tested them briefly, though. The Beyer looks better than these options, though, is built better than the Senn or Philips, and is comfortable.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 17
^
but don't you the mids of k81 seems too distant or the bass ruin the mids? dt231 seems to have the right mix?

i do love the case of px200. it's so easy to fold them into that little nice case. you can't fold dt231 like k81 or px200 or fold them at all

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
but don't you the mids of k81 seems too distant or the bass ruin the mids? dt231 seems to have the right mix?

i do love the case of px200. it's so easy to fold them into that little nice case. you can't fold dt231 like k81 or px200 or fold them at all

Don't get me wrong, I think that the PX200 would have been a pretty darn good choice, especially since my wife wants these as semi-portable. However, here are the two reasons I tried to stay away from them:

1)They don't seal very well, and the PXC-250 have a noise reduction circuit to help with that. She really wanted something closed, but supra-aural.

2) I wanted these to be small step up from a pair of PX-200 (not saying they're bad, but I just don't care for them) and I felt that, based on reviews here and on headroom (which I do take with a grain of salt) I went ahead and picked them up.

Should see them soon.

Nylan

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Just a note, the DT231's are supra-aural, not circumaural. That being said, I think they're amazing headphones for the price (got the free pair with the DT880's), and are much more developed than most others in the price range. I'll second what's been said, however - these won't block out noise at all. Sure they're closed-back, but they offer really no isolation at all.

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a note, the DT231's are supra-aural, not circumaural. That being said, I think they're amazing headphones for the price (got the free pair with the DT880's), and are much more developed than most others in the price range. I'll second what's been said, however - these won't block out noise at all. Sure they're closed-back, but they offer really no isolation at all.

Noted and changed. I got those mixed up for some reason. I don't know why...

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the DT231 better than a PX200, but not as much as a K81dj, Philips HP460, or maybe an HD205, all of which can be had for less. I only A/B tested them briefly, though. The Beyer looks better than these options, though, is built better than the Senn or Philips, and is comfortable.

i juz got a dt231 off someone online quite cheaply, but having said that i think that a new dt231 is still cheaper than a k518dj too, and i gotta agree that it sounds better than a px200 and also k26p too, but as of now it loses out to the k518dj in terms of clarity and bass impact, but its still a new set haven't burned in yet, maybe the clarity might improve with time, becoz i remembered i was listening to the demo burned-in headphones sets of px100 and dt231 at Jaben months back, and it sounded even better than the much-loved px100 then too~! px100 sounded kinda like mylar1 a little lighter bass impact, whereas the dt231 like a mylar3 slightly stronger bass that time...but i gotta say the dt231 velor earcups are very comfortable, they are semi-circumaural, covers about 3/4 of my ears, at least they still go over the ears more than it rests ON them like the k518dj, it lets some sound in, but sound doesn't leak out much...i juz wished the k518dj was this comfortable~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back