Just picked up Denon AH-D7000 but have an issue already
Dec 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Since Im going to be using these mostly out of my computer or iPod, I bought a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter because the headphones only come with the larger plug attached. However, when I use the adapter Im only getting sound out of the left headphone speaker. Whats wrong?

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 23
Mostly likely you didn't push the adapter all the way in.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 23
I didnt realize there was a difference. How would I know? The package says 1/4 in TS to 3.5mm TRS.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 23
ts is mono, trs is stereo   you need the latter.  it should be 1/4 trs to 3.5 trs

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I didnt realize there was a difference. How would I know? The package says 1/4 in TS to 3.5mm TRS.

You can tell based on how many stripes the jack has on the mini TRS jack. If it has 3 stripes, it should be fine.

If it is a wire adapter, it is possible an internal conductor broke... also very possible it is very cheap quality and tight and you need to give it a good shove.

If the mini TRS jack has 1 stripe you are out of luck and need a new adaptor. If it has 2, you either have a broken product, or are not using it properly.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 23
So who is right here? It has two stripes but is not TRS to TRS.

Quote:
ts is mono, trs is stereo   you need the latter.  it should be 1/4 trs to 3.5 trs

Quote:
Quote:

You can tell based on how many stripes the jack has on the mini TRS jack. If it has 3 stripes, it should be fine.

If it is a wire adapter, it is possible an internal conductor broke... also very possible it is very cheap quality and tight and you need to give it a good shove.

If the mini TRS jack has 1 stripe you are out of luck and need a new adaptor. If it has 2, you either have a broken product, or are not using it properly.

Dec 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 23
If the adapter is not correct and your taking it back, see if you can find an adapter that is a short cable versus just a straight adapter as it will help relieve the strain the big long adapter makes on your 1/8" jack of your devices.

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #11 of 23
Before buying another adapter, have you tried to connect your headphones to something that has 1/4" jack output?

Dec 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 23
^^ yep the Grado adapter would be an excellent choice, a bit pricy but the quality will make it worthwhile. ^^

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 23
Those solid 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapters are not good for use with headphones that have a heavy cable.  They put a lot of stress and leverage on the poor little mini jack in your iPod or laptop.  The adapter itself is long and any weight at the end of the adapter (a heavy headphone cable) will put a lot of leverage on that little mini jack.  You'll end up damaging the mini jack in your iPod and laptop.  The little mini jack in iPods and laptops cannot support that much leverage.  It's just not physically designed to.  1/4" headphone jacks can handle the leverage of a heavy cable, 1/8" headphone jacks cannot.

It is far better to use an adapter that has a short length of cable between.  The adapters with the cable put far less stress and leverage on the mini jack.

Here's some to look at:
Hosa MHE-100.5 (at sweetwater) (at B&H)
Grado
Sennheiser
Cardas

The Grado is good but has a fat 1/8" end that isn't so iPod friendly.  There are some mini jacks that are recessed or placed too close to other things and the fat Grado will not always fit.

The Hosa and Cardas have a right angle mini plug.  Right angle plug are lower profile (don't stick out as far) and put less leverage on the mini jack. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
Before buying another adapter, have you tried to connect your headphones to something that has 1/4" jack output?

Yup, it works great with my HT Receiver (Sounds amazing actually, so this is what good HP's sound like). Guess I need a new adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back