Just ordered UR40s...what to expect?
Nov 16, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
So I just added the Koss UR40s to my selection of headphone paraphernalia - even though I have all the bases covered between HF-1, DT770 and my selection of portables, I bought them anyway. I've been wanting to try these for a while now, as I absolutely love the sound signature of the KSC-75 and supposedly these are even better. I also think they could be a good candidate for my first recable job, as they're cheap enough and apparently the cable isn't ideal.

So a few questions: what're they like, what should I expect from them? How long do they take to burn in? How much do they need an amp, and what works well with them? And what should I use to recable them? I've been looking into starquad, seems like my best bet for now. Are there any other mods I can do to them, like the grill-removal techniques for the KSC-75 or pad replacement?

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
So I just added the Koss UR40s to my selection of headphone paraphernalia - even though I have all the bases covered between HF-1, DT770 and my selection of portables, I bought them anyway. I've been wanting to try these for a while now, as I absolutely love the sound signature of the KSC-75 and supposedly these are even better. I also think they could be a good candidate for my first recable job, as they're cheap enough and apparently the cable isn't ideal.

So a few questions: what're they like, what should I expect from them? How long do they take to burn in? How much do they need an amp, and what works well with them? And what should I use to recable them? I've been looking into starquad, seems like my best bet for now. Are there any other mods I can do to them, like the grill-removal techniques for the KSC-75 or pad replacement?

Lou is probably the resident expert around here when it comes to that particular headphone! Perhaps he will spot this thread and enlighten you with some of his insight!
wink.gif

I keep telling myself I want to order a pair for grins, but still haven't gotten around to it yet. Where did you buy your pair from, and how much was the total with shipping? (if you don't mind me asking).

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Lou is probably the resident expert around here when it comes to that particular headphone! Perhaps he will spot this thread and enlighten you with some of his insight!
wink.gif

I keep telling myself I want to order a pair for grins, but still haven't gotten around to it yet. Where did you buy your pair from, and how much was the total with shipping? (if you don't mind me asking).

Thanks.

£26.80 including shipping from ipodstuff.co.uk. Yeah, the fact that Lou tries all these fancy cans and ends up back at his trusty UR40s every time is one factor in my decision, fancy knowing what the fuss is all about
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 18
IMHO they are more open sounding than the KSC75. A little more spatious, less in your head sounding. Bass impact is a step down from the KSC75. SUPER comfey, light and easy to wear. Rear cavity foam removal was the only mod I did to mine. I do regret selling them
frown.gif
I never used them unamped, so I can't compare amped versus unamped.

Garrett

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO they are more open sounding than the KSC75. A little more spatious, less in your head sounding. Bass impact is a step down from the KSC75. SUPER comfey, light and easy to wear. Rear cavity foam removal was the only mod I did to mine. I do regret selling them
frown.gif
I never used them unamped, so I can't compare amped versus unamped.

Garrett

Thanks, Garrett. Anything to say about recabling? Did you ever recable any your Koss phones? I was considering doing the KSC-75s but they're too light to stay unencumbered by anything but the lightest cables, the UR40 seems like a much better guinea pig but I can't find much info on here about Koss recabling in general.

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 18
HI: I removed the foam from behind the drivers. I also cut that foam in half plus about an 1/4" more and cut it in a half moon shape and put that under the front lip of the ear cups to angle the drivers.

I never thought they needed a recableing. I do use a strong amp for home use but also use a 5 m/w portable radio with them.

They have very good bass and forward mids with great highs. They are very very light in weight and are so very comfortable.

Please give your self a little time to get use to them. They have a spacious sound that needs getting use to compared to the 75 and portapro.

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 18
crippledchicken
Those are clones of the KOSS UR-40 but may sound just as good but the price in high when the UR-40 can be had for about 25.00 on line if you search for them.

Nov 16, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Does anyone know if the RadioShack "Titanium" headphones is the same as UR40? I won't end up paying the $60, but I did think having the titanium engraving on the side of the driver looked nicer. Thanks

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
crippledchicken
Those are clones of the KOSS UR-40 but may sound just as good but the price in high when the UR-40 can be had for about 25.00 on line if you search for them.

that's about what i thought thanks, crippledchicken
rs1smile.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 18
From KOSS web site.

Koss UR40 Stereophone

Titanium Sound in a Collapsible Lightweight Package

The UR40 delivers digital quality sound in an ultra-lightweight design for listeners on-the-go. The UR40 features dynamic elements for a wide frequency response from 15-22,000 Hz. A 2 mil. titanium coating on its diaphragms increases the rigidity of the elements, minimizing mechanical distortion and ensuring exceedingly accurate sound reproduction. Computer-optimized neodymium iron boron rare earth magnet structures enable the UR40 to deliver greater volume, even with low-voltage portable devices. Oxygen-free copper voice coils improve signal transmission and conduction for cleaner, clearer sound. With its hybrid design, the UR40 combines the best of closed-style and open-style headphones. Closed leatherette earcushions form a light seal around the ears, enhancing bass frequencies. Screened earcups provide an open, hear-through sound that lets listeners stay in touch with the world around them. The result is a full frequency, clean sound that turns any recording into a "live" performance.

At just over six ounces the UR40 wears comfortably even after hours of continuous listening. The airy mesh sling provides soft breathable support, ideal for those with touch-sensitive scalps. An adjustable headband accommodates all head shapes and sizes for maximum comfort. When not in use, the resilient, lightweight frame folds into a compact configuration that's protective, easy to carry and convenient to store. Perfect for travel, the UR40 includes a straight dual-entry four-foot cord. A gold-flashed 3.5mm (1/8") plug, L-shaped to minimize cord stress, and a gold-flashed 6.3 mm (¼") adapter are included.

The UR40 will delight listeners seeking heavyweight sound in a comfortable lightweight package.

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Thanks, Garrett. Anything to say about recabling? Did you ever recable any your Koss phones? I was considering doing the KSC-75s but they're too light to stay unencumbered by anything but the lightest cables, the UR40 seems like a much better guinea pig but I can't find much info on here about Koss recabling in general.

Yes... recabled my KSC75 with canare star quad. Bass extends/tightens up, and mids are warmer. Treble remains unchanged. So its a good combination with the brightening effects of the dremel and socket mod. Everything seems more dynamic and seems to breathe easier. It all could be my imagination though I havent compared to an OEM cable. Portability takes a dive and microphonics increase, that much I am certain about. So like anything else its a double edged sword. I DO like the sound better with the cable upgrade, But the lack of portability nearly defeats the purpose. They are great work-phones though.

My sportapro remains stock.

Garrett

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Does anyone know if the RadioShack "Titanium" headphones is the same as UR40? I won't end up paying the $60, but I did think having the titanium engraving on the side of the driver looked nicer. Thanks

as far as i know, they're practically the same (drivers anyway). however they don't fold. on the plus side, they do go on sale every once in awhile.

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #14 of 18
Just picked up a pair of these too. So much more comfortable than my hd497's! I can actually forget I'm wearing them sometimes. The Senns I had to take off every 20 minutes or so because of the way they squeezed my ears.

That said, the UR40's are not quite as refined as the 497's, though the bass is much more satisfying (albeit a bit loose at times). I listen to these with a flat EQ, whereas I usually boost the bass a little with the Senns.

Could someone tell me if removing some of the foam would help 'free up' the sound? I'm hoping that it might because the sound at times literally sounds like it's coming through foam.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they could also use a longer headphone cable. But that may have to wait for a rainy day project.

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 18
Yeah, you're going to want to take out that foam.

I looked at a couple other threads and went ahead and did it. No contest.

It frees up the sound a lot, but also takes some of the muddiness out of the bass, thus giving the mids a crisper voice. Highly recommended.

The extra foam will now adorn my wall as a constant reminder that 'more cushion for the pushin' doesn't apply to every situation. (Sorry Freddy, you can keep your fat-bottom phones)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back