Just ordered the new AH-D1100 from Denon
Oct 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #47 of 149

Quote:
Sure.  Mine is shipping on Oct 5th.

I've been waffling on a D2000 purchase for close to 3 weeks and now I'm waiting even longer to hear what you have to say about the D1100s.  Looking forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #48 of 149

Quote:

I've been waffling on a D2000 purchase for close to 3 weeks and now I'm waiting even longer to hear what you have to say about the D1100s.  Looking forward to it!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was on the same boat as you too. I already had the d1001 and i was debating whether to purchase the d2000. I wasnt sure if it was going to be worth the extra money for a slight upgrade. But after hours of reading other's impressions, i decided to buy the d2000. I couldn't be happier with my new headphones. The upgrade is not slight, it was a very big upgrade in my opinion. I can tell the difference right away. If the d1100's sq is in the same range as the d1000, then it'll have problems competing with the d2000. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #49 of 149
Relleum, where'd you go? My questions need answering! 
bigsmile_face.gif

And can anyone read Japanese? There are some reviews of the D1100 on Amazon.jp, but online translators aren't very helpful in trying to understand them.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #50 of 149

Quote:
So is the denon d1100 an updated version of the older d1000? I'm really how the d1100 compares to the older dx000 models; especially since its in the same price range as the d2000. I found out that the d2000 can be bought for $200 on amazon.com 

I currently own the d1001 and i'm thinking of upgrading to a better pair of similar cans. The d2000 comes to mind, but now since the d1100 are available, i'll have to reconsider which one to get. 

The D2000 is not "better" than the D1001, just "different." The D2000 is not a straight upgrade over the D1001 like the D7000 is over the d5000. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #52 of 149
Well I haven't posted here in absolutely ages but I thought I should as my D1100s arrived today!

I am previous owner of the D1000s but mine broke a while ago hence my purchase of the D1100. My initial impressions are good. I will try to compare to the D1000s. I've tweaked the EQ on my Sony A829: +1 2.5khz and +1 6.3khz. This is the same as I used on my D1000s. Tracks are 256Kbps.

Physically
Physically they are slightly larger. With the D1000s I had to fold my ears into the cups a bit to get a decent fit - The D1100s fit right over my ears. They warm my ears up even faster but are just a comfortable - in fact I think a little more so because they don't press on my ears at all. They are still portable but the arms jutt out a bit more than the D1000s so in reality although they are not much larger I think they are slightly less portable but they'll still fit in a backpack OK. Build quality is OK but head band sliders seem to have more plastic in their construction.

Sonically
This is tough to assess as I found that my D1000s needed burning in and I think these D1100s will as well.

They have broadly the same kind of sound signature but the D1100s have much more bass presence. It seems tighter and punchier with greater presence. What mitigates this is their strange dynamism. They bounce along with the right music. Currently listening to Ben Folds' "You to Thank" and the drums are very much there along with a prominent bass line but the piano tinkles above this very well, surprisingly crisp. This makes the headphones sound very dynamic especially combined with the wide sound stage.

However I would say that the mids a tiny bit recessed for my liking. Just a touch. But I think this will change with more burn in time. Now onto Tori Amos. Again sharp pianos but her voice sinks slightly below this. Not quite prominent enough against the bass. The track is quite bassy but I've got a nice guitar in my right ear quite distinct and nicely separated. Once the bass subsides the vocal come out a lot better. I think certain music will suit these 'phones better than others.

Onto Crazy (James Michaels Mix) by Alais Morissette. This is a very bassy song, very beat driven. The electronic synth cuts through the bass well, the high hat is crisp, the bass is a little too represented. Morissettes vocals are again a little less prominent than I would like.

Moving onto something more acoustic. Old Fashioned Morphine by Jolie Holland is a vocal driven, blue grass/folky Americana song. Hollands voice is very naturally represented, the horns float across the soundstage. High hat again can be heard very pleasingly. But again vocals aren't quite as defined as I'd like though.

Finally a song more people will know. Hey Ya! by OutKast. Now the vocals are coming out a bit better. The hand claps cut through the awesome amount of bass crisply. The whole thing bounces about in your head but everything is still quite well defined despite the bass.

Final Thoughts

OK. Tough conclusion to draw at this stage. My gut is telling me that this phones will develop a lot with burn in.

I keep mentioning the bass because its really strange. It's both boomy and tight at the same time. It's contradictory. For my taste the bass is a little too much. The phones emphasise the bass a lot. BUT here is the crazy thing: THEY EMPHASISE EVERYTHING ELSE AS WELL. Well pretty much.

Instrument separation and sound stage combine to allow you to hear everything very distinctly despite the fact that you feel that it's being swamped by bass but when you actually listen to indvidual instruments they're very clear. So the music sounds rythmic and dynamic. The exception to strange magic trick are vocals. I think they get a little trapped between the bass and everything else. I think the bass reverberation takes the edge off them. I think tweaking the EQ will help but also I really think the phones will settle down a bit.

Remember all this is with an already tweaked EQ.

Hope people find this useful but I will stress these are my ears (and musical preferences) which may not be the same as yours!

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #53 of 149

Quote:
The D2000 is not "better" than the D1001, just "different." The D2000 is not a straight upgrade over the D1001 like the D7000 is over the d5000. 

After reading so many glowing reviews of the D2000, I caved in and bought a pair. A lot of the impression and reviews done on the D2000 were very accurate and I agree with their assessment. Before buying these headphones, I've already had a high expectation of how they should perform. But when I received them earlier this week; the D2000 went beyond my expectation. 

To my ears, the D2000 has a lot of the same sonic qualities as the D1001. They are both bass heavy, with sharp highs, and a slightly recessed mids. But in my opinion, the D2000 is much better than the D1001; they are an improvement in every aspect, except for portability. I guess they are different headphones, because the D2000 is on another different level. There is nothing that I prefer on the D1001 than the D2000. I haven't had the chance to listen to the D1100 yet, but for $200, its going to be hard for the D1100 to outdo the D2000. I'm still very interested in trying the D1100 though. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #55 of 149
A few posts here concern me.  I've just recently ordered the D2000's from a Denon dealer, and I'm expecting the normal D2000s that people have been using for the last few years.  Now, once I look on the denon usa and canadian site, I see a picutre resembling the 1000 series.  I hope it's a mistake on denons part, because I'll be dissapointed if there was some type of production change that I was not aware of, nor my denon retailer. 

I put some money down on the D2000's last week, so I should be getting them soon.  If they're not the headphones I was expecting, can I refuse to pay the remainder and request a refund?

I really like the headband etc on the D2000, as the D1000 series looks alot cheaper etc.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #56 of 149

Quote:
A few posts here concern me.  I've just recently ordered the D2000's from a Denon dealer, and I'm expecting the normal D2000s that people have been using for the last few years.  Now, once I look on the denon usa and canadian site, I see a picutre resembling the 1000 series.  I hope it's a mistake on denons part, because I'll be dissapointed if there was some type of production change that I was not aware of, nor my denon retailer. 

I put some money down on the D2000's last week, so I should be getting them soon.  If they're not the headphones I was expecting, can I refuse to pay the remainder and request a refund?

I really like the headband etc on the D2000, as the D1000 series looks alot cheaper etc.

You don't need to worry. I saw the denon usa website about 2 weeks ago, and I saw that they made a mistake and put the d1001 picture in place of the d2000. I'm positive its a mistake that Denon made on the website. Last week I ordered the D2000, and I received it earlier this week. Its the Denon D2000 that we're all use to, not some D1001 look-a-like. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #57 of 149

Thanks! This is very reassuring info. 
Quote:
You don't need to worry. I saw the denon usa website about 2 weeks ago, and I saw that they made a mistake and put the d1001 picture in place of the d2000. I'm positive its a mistake that Denon made on the website. Last week I ordered the D2000, and I received it earlier this week. Its the Denon D2000 that we're all use to, not some D1001 look-a-like. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #58 of 149
Quote:

Just wanted to reiterate what amp2xpand said; I ordered my D2000s from Amazon on Friday, and when I ripped the box open this morning they were the "original" styling, not the D1001 styling.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #59 of 149

Quote:

Just wanted to reiterate what amp2xpand said; I ordered my D2000s from Amazon on Friday, and when I ripped the box open this morning they were the "original" styling, not the D1001 styling.

Nice!... So I guess you pulled the trigger on those D2000's as well. I was debating between the D2000 and the D1100, but in the end I trusted all the great reviews by head-fiers. I'm still interested in reading more impressions of the D1100, especially a comparison against the D2000. I want to be able to listen to them, but I think its going to be hard to find a place that carries the D1100. 

Oct 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #60 of 149

This is probably a stupid questions...but what color are the ear cups on the d2000? They look like a dark blue to me but I can't really tell from just a online pic.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back