Just ordered the new AH-D1100 from Denon
Sep 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #16 of 149

Quote:
I much preferred the headband of the D2000 and higher models.

I'm likely one of only a few who feels this way, but I actually felt that the headband in the D2000 was uncomfortable.  It needs to be mentioned here that I do have a shaved head, but even so I really feel that Denon could have put more padding on the underside of it... there's pretty much little to nothing which pad the undersides, and if there is, it's too hard of a material.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 149
Nice, do you have an older Dx000 model to compare to?

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #19 of 149
Okay folks, the elusive AH-D1100 headphones have arrived!  And let me just say...

wow.

With my trusty ATH-A900 and ATH-WS70 headphones as a comparison, here is a mini review (with ratings on 1-5 scale) based on the last half an hour:

EDIT:  I moved the review to the first page on this thread, so I don't have to update in two places

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #20 of 149
Thanks for the review. How is isolation?

Sounds a bit like the D1001 but refined, with tamed treble, maybe flatter mids.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #21 of 149
good review
currently awaiting picks
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 149

Relleum, thanks for your review!

Could you be more specific about the isolation?
Like, if someone was typing on a regular pc keyboard, or if a computer fan was on max output, can the whine of the fan or the clicking of the keys be heard with the 1100 on?

Thanks again.

Quote:
Noise Isolation / Bleeding - 4.75
I just put some loud music on someone elses head, and I'm pleased to say that there is very little bleeding.  I couldn't make out the song at all.  Also, noise isolation is very good.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 149

Quote:

Could you be more specific about the isolation?
Like, if someone was typing on a regular pc keyboard, or if a computer fan was on max output, can the whine of the fan or the clicking of the keys be heard with the 1100 on?

I performed some very unscientific tests
smily_headphones1.gif
  With no music on whatsoever, my keyboard typing is barely audible.  However, I do have a logitech perfect-stroke keyboard, so it's kind of quiet.  The computer fans are *barely* noticeable, even with no music.

When i turn the music on to very low levels, you really can't hear a thing.  But more importantly is the comparison to my A900s and WS70s.   Hands down, the 1100s are the winner.  I really can't believe how poorly these two closed cans isolate compared to the 1100s.

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #25 of 149
Nice, you finally have them. I've been waiting like you suggested 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I like what you've said so far, but I have a few questions.

How good is the bass impact exactly? Do drums really pound?

How well do they do sub-bass?

How are vocals? Are they smooth, recessed, natural, etc?

Any sibilance?

How good is the imaging?

Thanks a lot.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #26 of 149
Your "tests" and observations of the results were good enough for me.
Thanks Relleum!
I second Magitek's question about the sub-bass, something the 1001 did very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relleum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I performed some very unscientific tests
smily_headphones1.gif
  With no music on whatsoever, my keyboard typing is barely audible.  However, I do have a logitech perfect-stroke keyboard, so it's kind of quiet.  The computer fans are *barely* noticeable, even with no music.

When i turn the music on to very low levels, you really can't hear a thing.  But more importantly is the comparison to my A900s and WS70s.   Hands down, the 1100s are the winner.  I really can't believe how poorly these two closed cans isolate compared to the 1100s.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #28 of 149
mmm... i guess I'm a little suspicious of "new toy syndrome." my impression of the A700 vs the D1001 was not even a contest about which is better. the A700 were just better in every possible way by not just a noticeable margin, but a huge obvious margin.

Now I know the D1100 is not the D1001, and the A700 is not the A900 but I would think there would be major similarities. if you wait a little bit and still feel the same, then there may be a lot of potential for the A100s as well.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #29 of 149

Quote:
mmm... i guess I'm a little suspicious of "new toy syndrome." my impression of the A700 vs the D1001 was not even a contest about which is better. the A700 were just better in every possible way by not just a noticeable margin, but a huge obvious margin.

Now I know the D1100 is not the D1001, and the A700 is not the A900 but I would think there would be major similarities. if you wait a little bit and still feel the same, then there may be a lot of potential for the A100s as well.

My coworker has the A700s, and I just compared them to the new Denons.  Firstly, the A700s are a noticeable step down from the A900s, but they share similar acoustic qualities (among other things).  I feel that the Denons are simply a better set of headphones than the A900s, and moreso the A700s.

And if you think I have "new toy syndrome", then you should read how I felt about the WS70s. I purchased them right when they came on the market, and I hated them.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #30 of 149
Thanks for the impressions, Relleum--very exciting. What's this about it having iPod controls? 

Do they look goofy on the human head, stick out a lot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back