Just Ordered a Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM
Sep 26, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #46 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Congrats to those new MPX3 owners. Such a great amp and dig that piano black high-gloss finish. During my time with the MPX3 (not the slam) I thought quality NOS tubes made a huge difference for the better. When I put in those two NOS 6SN7s Sylvanias and one black glass Ken-Rad the MPX3 really came to life. I assume the same holds true if you were to use/sample some NOS slam (5687s) tubes. sacd lover knows what's good and could point you in the right direction.

The NOS tubes definitely make a difference. A quality 6SN7 driving two 5687's is sweet indeed!

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #47 of 62
While I don't have that many amps that rshdhead is testing, and I admit I'm biased toward the MPX3 SE that has never failed to make music since its arrival (especially so with better more carefully selected tubes), I am with him in having an opened mind and speaking out loud what his ears tell him. I would do the same. If the build and sound quality of the amp (or any other amp for the matter) doesn't convince you that its performance, look and feel don't justify its price, by all means go for the lower priced counterparts. Price difference doesn't always translate to a big leap forward in sound quality.

I would let the amp (and yourself) a few more days for more burn-in (and relax), look around for more tube choices, and form a deeper opinion.

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #48 of 62
Welp...gave him my credit card a week ago (last Tuesday) and my FedEx number to expedite shipping...it's been 1 week now and nobody has responded to my emails and they won't call me back when I leave a message...
rolleyes.gif
...as far as I know, still no shipment

Stellar service

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #49 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
Welp...gave him my credit card a week ago (last Tuesday) and my FedEx number to expedite shipping...it's been 1 week now and nobody has responded to my emails and they won't call me back when I leave a message...
rolleyes.gif
...as far as I know, still no shipment

Stellar service

I am assuming you are referring to Singlepower. You can believe whatever you like but you are dealing with essentially a one man operation. Mikhail builds custom amps that are highly regarded here. I've been waiting for a while for an amp from another manufacturer to be built. I realize he is only one guy and things happen. You will get your amp. Mikhail is an honest guy wants you to be happy. You need to understand that there are all kinds of reason why there might be a delay in getting your amp and getting a response. If this were some fly by night manufacturer, then I would be concerned. But it's not. Singlepower has been doing business here for a long time with many happy customers. Give Mikhail some time and you will be one of them.

Sep 26, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I am assuming you are referring to Singlepower. You can believe whatever you like but you are dealing with essentially a one man operation. Mikhail builds custom amps that are highly regarded here. I've been waiting for a while for an amp from another manufacturer to be built. I realize he is only one guy and things happen. You will get your amp. Mikhail is an honest guy wants you to be happy. You need to understand that there are all kinds of reason why there might be a delay in getting your amp and getting a response. If this were some fly by night manufacturer, then I would be concerned. But it's not. Singlepower has been doing business here for a long time with many happy customers. Give Mikhail some time and you will be one of them.

Oh geez...I didn't realize he was a one man operation. Well that definately makes me feel alot better and helps me understand. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #51 of 62
Well touche Singlepower... A few minutes after I posted, Mikhail called and let me know that the amp is on it's way.
cool.gif

Definately a very nice man and a real pleasure to deal with.

He also mentioned that they are in the process of hiring a few more people to help out and hopefully speed the process up.

Sep 26, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #52 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
Well touche Singlepower... A few minutes after I posted, Mikhail called and let me know that the amp is on it's way.
cool.gif

Definately a very nice man and a real pleasure to deal with.

He also mentioned that they are in the process of hiring a few more people to help out and hopefully speed the process up.

A little patience goes a long way. Now if only my amp would get here.
biggrin.gif
Just kidding Craig.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #53 of 62
Stangs55....whatever time estimate you got, just double that and add a few days and it should put you right about the ship date. Glad yours is on the way. Mine was to have shipped these past couple of weeks and yesterday for sure but things happen! Like others have said, you're not alone and this is a custom product and certainly worth the wait! You're gonna love it!

Now that I've posted about it.....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mikhail...KIDDING! Take all the time you need. I ain't in a rush....besides....mine's "special"!
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #54 of 62
I need to clarify my previous commnets on MPX3 SE. All I said to the SE was mostly related GS1000. SinglePoweer sent me several tubes along with MPX3 SE w/o any kinds of instructions. And my initial intention to try SLAM was for GS1000 not HD650. So I had played SE mostly with GS1000. It is still true that with my current tubes(6SN7(EH) and Hydrogin/5687), SE does not sound better than integrated amp in my EMU1820M to me on GS1000.

So I was vey upset last night(actually for while since received MPX3 SE) and planned to return it. But for unknown reasons I forgot to try Hydr + EH with HD650 until last night because I am normally very good in combination coverage. Then Hydr + EH + HD650 was stunning me and brought me out of chair when listening to the latest Yanni DVD. Then I tried other stero musics. The combination put a new life on my music collection. I had not believed any headphones could sound like this. It is not only about detailed and power. It is everything. The sound stage effect shocked me. A/B comparison is redundent. It is more than SR80 vs RS1 as example. The musics richly sounded up my whole head. When I turned up the volume to above normal level, it evenly and smoothly brought up everything. So it was not irritating and fatiguring at all. Normally when volume was above normal level. I could not listen for more a few min. I lost a lot of sleep last night after all.

Now the GS1000 problem still remains. I called Single Power today. He is going to send me more tubes (better tubes for both but GS1000 in particular) and Ground loop isolator. Mikhail said I did not fix it correctly which affects GS1000 performance in part.

Sep 27, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
I need to clarify my previous commnets on MPX3 SE. All I said to the SE was mostly related GS1000. SinglePoweer sent me several tubes along with MPX3 SE w/o any kinds of instructions. And my initial intention to try SLAM was for GS1000 not HD650. So I had played SE mostly with GS1000. It is still true that with my current tubes(6SN7(EH) and Hydrogin/5687), SE does not sound better than integrated amp in my EMU1820M to me on GS1000.

So I was vey upset last night(actually for while since received MPX3 SE) and planned to return it. But for unknown reasons I forgot to try Hydr + EH with HD650 until last night because I am normally very good in combination coverage. Then Hydr + EH + HD650 was stunning me and brought me out of chair when listening to the latest Yanni DVD. Then I tried other stero musics. The combination put a new life on my music collection. I had not believed any headphones could sound like this. It is not only about detailed and power. It is everything. The sound stage effect shocked me. A/B comparison is redundent. It is more than SR80 vs RS1 as example. The musics richly sounded up my whole head. When I turned up the volume to above normal level, it evenly and smoothly brought up everything. So it was not irritating and fatiguring at all. Normally when volume was above normal level. I could not listen for more a few min. I lost a lot of sleep last night after all.

Now the GS1000 problem still remains. I called Single Power today. He is going to send me more tubes (better tubes for both but GS1000 in particular) and Ground loop isolator. Mikhail said I did not fix it correctly which affects GS1000 performance in part.

What tubes?

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #58 of 62
Basically, 5687's that I have so far are not good enough to make GS1000 sound the way it should be as MikHail expects. Hopeful he will ship them out today. Then I can try over the weekend.

If eventually MPX3 SE can improve GS1000 somewhere close to as it does to HD650, then MPX3 SE is worth more than its price. But I have a little doubt because SE was designed in particular for HD650, and GS1000 and HD650 are so much different.

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #59 of 62
You may be correct in that Mikhail uses HD-600 and HD-650 to voice his amps. Those are what he had at the recent LA meet to demo his equipment. I'd be surprised if you and he can not get it voiced for your GS1000.

Fortunately, my K340 sounded great with him amps too. That's why I have a PPX3 Slam on the way!
340smile.gif

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #60 of 62
I think whoever sold HD650 for GS1000 dont know how much they lost. HD650 is so flexible and potential that Grado phones do not have, IMO. But to get close to HD650 potential, it is expensive though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back