Just Ordered a Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM
Sep 19, 2006 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
Well, it looks like my journey into the wide world of tube amps has begun.
rs1smile.gif
I've owned several SS amps over the years, but never a tube amp. The idea of tube rolling seriously interest me and I think that my SS amps will soon be showing up in FS/FT.
smily_headphones1.gif

The elusive MPX-3 has been evading me for some time now as it seems that everytime one shows up in the FS/FT, I'm too late; and after I lost a last minute auction for the MPX-3 on Audiogon last night...it was the last straw. So I called up Mikhail this morning and got ahold of his demo unit MPX-3 SLAM with a couple upgrades for a very fair price.

Granted, I will be eating Ramen and rice cakes for the next year, but I feel like spending less money on a lesser amp would only tickle the upgraditis itch when I know all along that the MPX-3 is my Holy Grail.

So anyways...with that said, I guess I just wanted to come on here and wave my hands around in triumphant victory...the MPX-3 SLAM is mine and I'm excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 62
Yeah, the demo unit was the way to go.
I've been waiting 7 1/2 weeks now for my MPX3 SLAM to be built and still no sign of it shipping. Getting lots of "it's almost ready and should ship soon" type of reassurances for the last 2 weeks.
I guess that the comes with the territory when you order hand built P-to-P wired custom amps. It certainly doesn't make the anticipation any easier to endure!

Sep 19, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 62
After our PM chat last night, I knew you were ready to pull the trigger on the demo MMX3; for all of the advantages it has over the audiogon auction offering we were both watching.

Certainly should be the last amp you will ever need with the many tone & power tweaks to its output which can be made with the assortment of tubes available!

Vicariously, I share in your excitement...And can hardly wait for it to boot!

Best regards-

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 62
My MPX3 SLAM SE will arrive on Thursday. Actually , I have a little doubt of what its users has praised. I asked Mikhail about RA1. He said RA1 is an entry level amp and could not change Grado's mind to make better amp(they are good friend) because of price. Well, that is very encouraging so I ordered one. But, still, at more than $2000, it must clearly outperform RA1 in every aspect, not like my Zen vision,M vs RA1, so close.

Sep 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 62
Congrats! I've not heard the MPX3 yet but I have been very happy with my PPX3 Slam and the various tubes Mikhail has sent me. If you can cough up some extra $$ I highly recommend some Singlepower IC's, they are killer!

What cans will you be using?

Sep 19, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 62
I am dang close myself to getting an SE Slam version of the MPX3, with some nec upgrades ..so this is a great thread and update of sorts for me...

Just spoke to Mik today and we were spec'g out some various ideas..should not be long now.. or belong now
evil_smiley.gif

edit grammar

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
I am dang close myself to getting an SE Slam version of the MPX3, with some nec upgrades ..so this is a great thread and update of sorts for me...

Just spoke to Mik today and we were spec'g out some various ideas..should not be long now.. or belong now
evil_smiley.gif

edit grammar

I have been listening to my 5687 equipped amps of late because I am trying a new tube variant. When I listened to the SLAM SE last night I was just stunned how lifelike and refined the sound was .... the soundstage is [size=x-large]HUGE!!![/size]

Gee .... I hope you guys get your amp soon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back