Just Ordered a Singlepower MPX-3 SLAM
Sep 20, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I am not sure what you mean?

Mikhail said it weights 16 pounds. But DHL shows 15 pounds of the whole package. I just want to make sure I get what I pay for "fully upgraded".

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #17 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
Mikhail said it weights 16 pounds. But DHL shows 15 pounds of the whole package. I just want to make sure I get what I pay for "fully upgraded".

I have no idea. The weight of my MPX3 SLAM SE is not substantially different from any of my MPX3's.

Sep 20, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #18 of 62
Quote:

I have no idea. The weight of my MPX3 SLAM SE is not substantially diffferent from any of my MPX3's.

Is it easy to check all the upgraded parts ?

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 62
Stangs55, you're gonna be real happy shortly! Nice choice and I'm going to hate seeing mine leave! You'll not stop smiling for some time to come!

rshdhead...man, once you get to know what kind of guy Mikhail is you won't give that a second thought. He's an honest shooter and a really nice guy. You've nothing to fear or worry about. Well....there is one thing.....the lust for his other amps!! I gave in to a Supra XLR which is hopefully nearing a ship date. Soon....very soon!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
From what I have read I would trust you got what you ordered. Singlepower has been a reputable company, I would suggest you contact them and ask.

me too .... thats the best advice.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 62
Quote:

I have been listening to my 5687 equipped amps of late because I am trying a new tube variant. When I listened to the SLAM SE last night I was just stunned how lifelike and refined the sound was .... the soundstage is [size=x-large]HUGE!!![/size]

Gee .... I hope you guys get your amp soon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

DO TELL !!!! (please)
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #27 of 62
Interesting, I originally had the 5687 Slam configuration. I switched amps to the stock 6SN7 and just utilized the 5687 adapters. I found that I preferably enjoy the sparkle of the 6SN7 more than the punchiness of the 5687 tubes. In any case, both are more than enjoyable.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #28 of 62
Thanks for the reassurances guys
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the actual upgrades to the unit, I really don't exactly remember what he mentioned other than it was SLAM with the 5687 adapters and black gate capacitors...actually, to confess to you guys, my wife and I are currently on vacation in Disneyworld and I called him and placed the order while I was in the middle of the magic kingdom
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Obsession? Maybe...I am in the middle of the Orlando airport now typing on my ppc/phone. I know...I'm terrible
smily_headphones1.gif
Regardless, it was a good deal and I was sick of reading all the glowing posts about the MPX3...so I ordered it without being concerned with the minor upgrades and just told him to email me the details later.

I am curious though about what SE means...throughout our conversation, even when talking about buying a new MPX3, he never mentioned "SE"...so what does that mean and how do I know if that's what I'm getting?

As for what cans I'll be using, I actually just finished the process of selling off most of my cans...so now I'll be left with the Beyer DT 990, Senn 650, and several iem's. Although I am on the lookout for a new set of phones...I'm just having a hard time deciding which to go with...AKG K701, Grado RS-2, some ATH? Anyone with some good advice as to some cans that have particullarly awesome synergy with this amp?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #29 of 62
I am curious though about what SE means...throughout our conversation, even when talking about buying a new MPX3, he never mentioned "SE"...so what does that mean and how do I know if that's what I'm getting?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

SE refers to the high voltage and / or high bias operation version of the MPX3 .... called the MPX3 SLAM SE .... using 6bl7gta output tubes. The MPX3 SLAM version uses 5687 output tubes that operate at the amps standard voltage and bias; thats likely what you will receive. Both these tubes (6bl7gta/ 5687) have substantially more power than the basic MPX3 that uses 6sn7 tubes .... and drive high or low impedence headphones with authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back