Just listened to the M50's...
Jan 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #46 of 56
compare it to other portable sources and its still weak.

Quote:
Quote:

COMPLETELY disagree. I have a droid incredible and listen to music just fine on them. Went to the gym and listened to Flo Rida's new album on my recently returned pair of Beats Solo's and couldn't have the music completely turned. Granted, I was only 2 notches away from being 100%, but the point is, the incredible should have been just fine to give a decent demo with those headphones. 

I believe the OP didn't plug them in all the way. should have just taken the phone case off.

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #47 of 56

Quote:
compare it to other portable sources and its still weak.

Quote:
Quote:

COMPLETELY disagree. I have a droid incredible and listen to music just fine on them. Went to the gym and listened to Flo Rida's new album on my recently returned pair of Beats Solo's and couldn't have the music completely turned. Granted, I was only 2 notches away from being 100%, but the point is, the incredible should have been just fine to give a decent demo with those headphones. 

I believe the OP didn't plug them in all the way. should have just taken the phone case off.

that's a weak source, 50-60% on a ipod classic was standard for me

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #48 of 56

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You didn't have plugged in all the way. I had the same problem with my iPod when I used certain cases.

really wish audio technica would make a portable version, a 2 inch plug with a another inch for the spring is overkill

Wait a minute, I can't plug this thing into my iPod??? That's NOT good...

You can, but they aren't the best for portable use because:
1) They are pretty huge headphones.
2) The cord is long (11')
3) The plug is large, when using the 3.5mm adapter (Needed for an iPod)

I still love them though.

I think you got it flipped...from my memory, you need to remove the adapter for Ipod use.

Whoops.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #49 of 56
There is a screw thing for the quarter inch adapter. You need to screw it off. Also, there are two production variants of the M50, the blue box and the white boxed(im talking about the packaging). The blue boxed one is older and has more of a v shaped sound whereas the white boxed one is more enjoyed and more balanced. However i think you just listened to a defective set. The M50s go pretty loud unamped.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #50 of 56
Thanks for the heads up on the two different versions (blue vs. white box).

While I was doing research, I heard people talking about that, but no one every specified what the actual differences between the two were.

What do you mean when you say, "... more enjoyed and more balanced"?

Are you talking in terms of comfort (i.e. the way they sit on your head), which is improved due to the fact that it is less of a "V" shape? Or am I completely off point and were you alluding to improved audio as a result of the change?

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #51 of 56
I think when he says it's "v-shaped" he's talking about the shape of the frequency response curve... Correct me if I'm wrong though... Assuming that's what he means, it seems like the white-boxed one is more balanced and people generally like it better(?)

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #52 of 56
If you have an android, you could get poweramp off the market.  It is the best Android player.
I would agree with the poster with the Captivate.  Got a vibrant (another galaxy S derivative) and its quite the source.  I believe it uses a pretty high end DAC, IIRC.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #53 of 56
this rom has the louder audio in it and seems stable. give it a shot.

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #54 of 56
I got them a couple days ago...and I am amazed. Easily loud enough. I've never had hours go by listening to music so quickly. Also want to say thanks to everyone that's helped me on this forum because you all completely pointed me in the right direction. The idea that there are better headphones out there is daunting for me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:
I got them a couple days ago...and I am amazed. Easily loud enough. I've never had hours go by listening to music so quickly. Also want to say thanks to everyone that's helped me on this forum because you all completely pointed me in the right direction. The idea that there are better headphones out there is daunting for me.

Where did you get yours from? I'm probably going to order some soon. Also what music do you listen to with them?

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #56 of 56
If you're in Australia, Addicted to Audio is really good. At the store, I listened to the M50s and the PRO700MK2 as well as a few Ultrasones (hifi580 and pro550), Koss' dj200, and shure's srh840. Out of all of them, the M50s were the best across the board IMO, very revealing and comfortable. And although they lacked the bass the pro700s had (i'm a bit of a basshead), I got a good deal on the digizoid z02.3s so I can get my bass on. (On a side note, I had the privilege of listening to the Grado PS1000 and the Audeze LCD-3. Seriously amazing. My ears melted! One day... :wink: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back