Just listened to the M50's...
Jan 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 56

Quote:
No I only listened to the one pair. The only other possible thing I could think was the problem was my phone has a pretty big case and when I plug a larger 3.5 jack into it when I move the phone it will come out. It came out pretty easily when I used the jack from the M50 so maybe if it wasn't fully plugged in?

You just solved the case Sherlock.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #17 of 56

Quote:
Quote:
No I only listened to the one pair. The only other possible thing I could think was the problem was my phone has a pretty big case and when I plug a larger 3.5 jack into it when I move the phone it will come out. It came out pretty easily when I used the jack from the M50 so maybe if it wasn't fully plugged in?

You just solved the case Sherlock.

lol

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 56
guitar center does price match. you can show the price for the headphones on amazon, and they will sell you them for the same price. i did it for my hd 280 pros.
Quote:
The only store that has them is a guitar center that's 40 minutes from my house. Drove there to listen to them but didn't plan on buying them cause they're $160 there while they're $110 on amazon. Was really dissapointed when I could hardly hear the music from my phone with the volume at max. I couldn't even tell if they were such great headphones since I could hardly hear anything. My $20 in ear Koss headphones have a volume control on the cord which lets it get as loud as I like and I'm just so sick of over head headphones not being loud enough. So now my idea is to buy the M50's online and get a Fiio e5 just for the volume control to make it louder. Is the Fiio e5 going to get the job done and make it loud enough for me? Or is the volume increase not very noticable? Thanks. Also if anyone has any info on what the return policy is on amazon for headphones that'd be great.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 56
The Guitar Center I was at didn't let me try on the headphones that were packaged... but I did get to try on the Shure 850/Audio Technica M45's. This is a little off-topic BUT I felt as if both of these headphones sounded a bit "bland" and dull. The store assistant, who owned a pair of M50's, said the M45's seemed slightly less colorful to him in comparison. Either way, they just felt too distant to me, and not much fun, although the detail was exquisite.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 56
Sometimes a phone just cannot drive even the M50's.. I experienced the same thing when I tried out the M50's and the SRH840's.. They just don't sound impressive on my iPhone.. but on my PC, it's a totally different story. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 56

Quote:
Sometimes a phone just cannot drive even the M50's.. I experienced the same thing when I tried out the M50's and the SRH840's.. They just don't sound impressive on my iPhone.. but on my PC, it's a totally different story. 

I'm not good with headphones, but how would a PC drive a pair of headphones better than a phone? Sometimes I listen to music on my PC, and it sounds a liiiittttlllleee better than on my iPod, not much.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #22 of 56
Well normal earbuds that you use with phones are 16 ohm and that is what they are designed to drive. A PC is designed to drive 32ohm devices, yeah I know this is explained terribly but essentially this is why.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #23 of 56
android phones are VERY weak when driving headphones. they only thing they drive well is IEM's. the bad news is that an E5 is going to be a disaster paired with a cell phone. it will increase the output, but be prepared for constant interference from the cell phone radio and from wifi as well. i have an Incredible and i have an E5 and it did not work very well simply because of the interference.

i have tried several full size headphones with my incredible and none got loud enough. i tried the following: HD205, HD280pro, XB500, UR-40, HD428, UR-55. even with IEM's i'm 2-3 notches from full volume on loudly recorded music and either at full or one notch from full on quietly recorded stuff.

bottom line, is that the Incredible and also the motorola droid are bad portable music players. the only way it may work may be with an amp that is in a solid metal case to sheild from the EMI or EMF, whatever you call it. the E5 is mostly metal, but the 2 end caps are plastic.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 56

Quote:
Well normal earbuds that you use with phones are 16 ohm and that is what they are designed to drive. A PC is designed to drive 32ohm devices, yeah I know this is explained terribly but essentially this is why.

Don't know what 32ohm would mean... but does that qualify as something like the Ath-M50 or Srh750djs? ....

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #26 of 56
ohm is a measure of resistance the higher the resistance the more voltage you need to drive it. So PCs send more voltage to headphones which drives them better.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 56
You didn't have plugged in all the way. I had the same problem with my iPod when I used certain cases.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #28 of 56

Quote:
You didn't have plugged in all the way. I had the same problem with my iPod when I used certain cases.

really wish audio technica would make a portable version, a 2 inch plug with a another inch for the spring is overkill

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 56

Quote:
android phones are VERY weak when driving headphones. they only thing they drive well is IEM's. the bad news is that an E5 is going to be a disaster paired with a cell phone. it will increase the output, but be prepared for constant interference from the cell phone radio and from wifi as well. i have an Incredible and i have an E5 and it did not work very well simply because of the interference.

i have tried several full size headphones with my incredible and none got loud enough. i tried the following: HD205, HD280pro, XB500, UR-40, HD428, UR-55. even with IEM's i'm 2-3 notches from full volume on loudly recorded music and either at full or one notch from full on quietly recorded stuff.

bottom line, is that the Incredible and also the motorola droid are bad portable music players. the only way it may work may be with an amp that is in a solid metal case to sheild from the EMI or EMF, whatever you call it. the E5 is mostly metal, but the 2 end caps are plastic.

I wouldn't make that generalization. Better to go by specific phone models and state whether or not they drive headphones, but to make a blanket statement about a smartphone OS doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I haven't tried the Droid or the Incredible, but my Samsung Captivate drives my M50s really well. I was expecting crappy sound, but I'd say it sounds just as great as my Zen Vision:M mp3 player. I was pleasantly surprised.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #30 of 56

Quote:
Quote:

really wish audio technica would make a portable version, a 2 inch plug with a another inch for the spring is overkill

Wait a minute, I can't plug this thing into my iPod??? That's NOT good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back