Just in, Grado 325i's ROCK
Feb 3, 2008 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

mathmanx

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of 325i's at a great deal from a nice head-fi'er (classic_Rock_69 - THANKS!)

I've put quite a bit of time into these now (~20 hrs). They are the best headphones I've ever heard, and the second best sound I've ever heard. (The best sound came from custom designed speakers by an electrical engineer who developed the HD AM radio amplifier. He knows his stuff!)

These have tons more detail than the DT880's through my Total Airhead. The best part about them for me, though, is that they sound full at low volumes. I like to listen to music between 65 - 75 db, and the DT880's are barely getting into the zone at that volume. The 325i's, however, are just singing and sound much louder than they actually are.
Bottom line, I've been running through several brands of headphones, at many quality levels and styles. I've zoned in on a love of Grado's though, and now my drive is to snag an RS-1 and GS1000. When I get to 50 posts I'll try to find someone who wants a dt880 or dt770 (or both) in trade for one of the above
tongue.gif

I can tell they are a little bright, and definitely have SOMETHING going on in the bass that I can't pinpoint - but it is so close and has so many other things going for them... beautiful. From what I've read the RS-1 will complete them, and the GS1000 will please in a completely different fashion.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 52
Ever tried the 225s? I'm wondering how they compare. I like the idea of the aluminum cup for durability (otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the 225 sound) but I was worried about them sounding metallic.

Feb 3, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 52
Congratulations!
smily_headphones1.gif

The SR-325i is nice pair of headphones.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 52
The SR-325i seem's be be a kind of "flavour of the month", there were a lot of threads about it in the past weeks. The positive feedbacks made me curios, I received my new SR-325i yesterday
biggrin.gif
... just spend about 2 hours with it, but my first impressin is: great detail and great clarity. I also have a SR-225 around but didn't find the time for a comparision ... it's carnival till Wednesday ... but I think the SR-325i provides more clarity and detail ... but that is just a very first and basic impression.

Btw. I don't have any problems with the weight or piercign highs ... so far I can only say, that I like them. but the next weeks will tell

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 52
Well, for so long these headphones were maligned and treated like the red headed stepchild of the Grado family. It's finally nice to see them get the praise and respect they deserve.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 52
Thats nice to hear. I have a brand new pair coming this week and was afraid I made a bad decision. I will let everyone know what I think of them too. I have had sr80's,sr225's so I will do a comparison against those too.

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 52
I too was offered a deal on a pair of 325i's that i couldnt refuse from a member on here (bencrest
biggrin.gif
) and having listened to them for quite a while, i find myself picking them up more than my sennheiser hd650's. I have to say though, that if i am having a long listening session i have to change to the senns after a few hours as the grados are not the most comfortable headphones for glasses wearers such as myself.

I think between the 650 and the 325i, you can have almost every music genre covered! I also find that since upgrading my headphone amp, the hd650's have scaled better, but then again, the grados sounded so good straight from my laptop!

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 52
I will likely be joining this club soon. To the OP - what was your prior experience with Grados prior to your purchase? Also, how would you describe the 325i's sound, compared to, or coming after your Beyers?

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hughwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too was offered a deal on a pair of 325i's that i couldnt refuse from a member on here (bencrest
biggrin.gif
) and having listened to them for quite a while, i find myself picking them up more than my sennheiser hd650's. I have to say though, that if i am having a long listening session i have to change to the senns after a few hours as the grados are not the most comfortable headphones for glasses wearers such as myself.

I think between the 650 and the 325i, you can have almost every music genre covered! I also find that since upgrading my headphone amp, the hd650's have scaled better, but then again, the grados sounded so good straight from my laptop!

At work I tilt my safety glasses so they rest on top of the pads. it might look wierd but it works. As for 650's sounding better than the 325i's. I would have to say that every headphones has its perfect setup. I would like to see a comparison between grados and senns with perfect rigs for both.

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for so long these headphones were maligned and treated like the red headed stepchild of the Grado family. It's finally nice to see them get the praise and respect they deserve.

Exactly. I realised that I need at least the SR325i's after thorough listening of the SR225's from rather expensive equipment and then I knew that the differences people have described are what I needed. And I was right. Deeper, stronger bass, not so polite trebles and soundstage being one of the best in the Grado line-up (without the GS1k of course). These headphones are not a flavour of the month but rather people have grown along with their equipment, so they no longer cathegorize strong/weak, too much/too few, dark/bright but started to realize the subtelties making one headphones better than another. Bright/dark, fast/slow, smooth/harsh are cathegories of the whole headphone rig, and you have to make it right for certain headphones. The remainder is what some headphones can do and some other don't, or do it better or worse. The SR325i's can let you hear lots of things other cheaper headphone cannot, just let them do it.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. I realised that I need at least the SR325i's after thorough listening of the SR225's from rather expensive equipment and then I knew that the differences people have described are what I needed. And I was right. Deeper, stronger bass, not so polite trebles and soundstage being one of the best in the Grado line-up (without the GS1k of course). These headphones are not a flavour of the month but rather people have grown along with their equipment, so they no longer cathegorize strong/weak, too much/too few, dark/bright but started to realize the subtelties making one headphones better than another. Bright/dark, fast/slow, smooth/harsh are cathegories of the whole headphone rig, and you have to make it right for certain headphones. The remainder is what some headphones can do and some other don't, or do it better or worse. The SR325i's can let you hear lots of things other cheaper headphone cannot, just let them do it.
wink.gif

i too have gotten the Grado Sr 325is but i got it for a better deal, however im using them on my Creative Zen Vision and it already sounds amazing, but im wondering what it will sound like plugged into a proper amp, perphaps the Grado RA1 will do the trick, or maybe i'll decide to upgrade from the sr 325is to the RS1s

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 52
I hope to get mine in a few days. I can't wait.

Feb 5, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ever tried the 225s? I'm wondering how they compare. I like the idea of the aluminum cup for durability (otherwise I'm perfectly happy with the 225 sound) but I was worried about them sounding metallic.

Agreed w/majkel: the 325i are a quantum step forward from the 225 (as good as the 225 are).

The 325i are NOT metallic-sounding; the specially made/machined alloy is designed to dissipate resonances and help develop a stable, detailed and transparent sound--which the Grados deliver exceptionally well. : )

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 52
Every hour on these 'phones impresses me more... I want to hear the RS1 and GS1000, but I can't concieve of the sound being better.... MAYBE different, but not better. I hope to be proven wrong :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back