just how many people realy like the hd-590's?
Jun 15, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #91 of 129
Okay fine, don't let it die... Good question, is the cable upgrade really worth it? I'd like to know too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #92 of 129
I love my HD590. It might be bright, but depend on which can you compare to. Compare to 600/580, yes, to Grado, I doubt.

Some guys belive slightly veiled sound means musical, some guys think bright sound is more detailed. It's just depend on your tastes.

My HD590 is about 80 hours and still burn in. But I can say its bass is rich and very tight. and it is not bright.

Jul 9, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #93 of 129
I've have the Stephan Audio Arts cable on my 590's and love it. I had it on my since the very begining but I have heard the 590's with the stock cable and came away feeling like the cable swap was almost essential equipment for the 590's. It better defines the bas and smooths out the top end a bit while making the mid-range slightly bigger.

To "Tom M" congratulations to you on starting this thread. When I first heard the 590's it was at the HeadRoom World Tour where they had the now infamous qoute about how fatiguing they are attached to the display for everyone to see before they even tried them. Of course, I tried them anyway and was absolutely shocked to find out how good they were inspite of Headroom's remark. Since that time I have seen many people like you who have given them a fair listen and come to the same conclusion as you and I have. Also, since that time I have owned or auditioned manyu f the top headphones but today I only own and use the 590's. Until something better comes along that I can actually afford I think the 590 will be the only headphone I want to own.

Thanks
Brian

Jul 9, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #94 of 129
Wow! I started this thread over a year ago and it's still going. I hope that over the past year I've introduced a lot of people to a very good but underappreciated headphone.
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #95 of 129
I used to own the HD590 and I did like it for some things. I'll just post my likes and dislikes.

Liked:

-comfort, most comfortable headphone I ever wore
-smoothness for classical and spoken word
-relaxing, good for stress relief

Disliked:

-muffled midrange and dull muted highs
-wooly amorphous bass
-dull overall textured sound
-bad leakage
-ugly design
-cheap wobbly plastic frame
-one sided cord made phones unbalanced and cheap looking

Jul 9, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #96 of 129
Beagle,

I think you are right in favoring the 590's on classical music. For me they have no equals on accousitc music or really complex electronic music, for that matter. They are sometimes said to be more suitable for rock music because of their more up front, aggressive character but I think they really shine on orchestral music, especially Concertos where the featured instrument needs to be clearly defined against the orchestral background.

Did you use the stock cable or did you upgrade it when you had them?

Thanks
Brian

Jul 9, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #97 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by bkelly
Did you use the stock cable or did you upgrade it when you had them?

Thanks
Brian

I used the stock cable, because most cable 'improvements' and 'upgrades' exist only in peoples imagination.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:36 AM Post #98 of 129
I recently got an Audiotrak Opto Play (USB soundcard/headphone amp with 2 channel toslink out) and it makes the HD590's sound infinately better than my Audigy Platinum ex. The mid's are cleared up and the bass is extended and tighted up and the sound overall is smoothed out. Very Very nice!!! And I still don't find them bright!

Also as a side note, the MX500's sound really good hooked up to the Opto Play as well. It's the best $50 I've spent in a long time
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #99 of 129
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I used to own the HD590 and I did like it for some things. I'll just post my likes and dislikes.

Liked:

-comfort, most comfortable headphone I ever wore
-smoothness for classical and spoken word
-relaxing, good for stress relief

Disliked:

-muffled midrange and dull muted highs
-wooly amorphous bass
-dull overall textured sound
-bad leakage
-ugly design
-cheap wobbly plastic frame
-one sided cord made phones unbalanced and cheap looking

I agree with you on your observations of HD590. But have you compare it to 580/600? Some points you don' t like might the points other guys like. Again, I think sometimes it depend on your tastes. You complain about muffled midrange and dull muted highs, but some guys think 590 is a little bright compare to 580/600.

Actually, one sided cord make it easier for my DIY project of a replacement cable.

For leakage, well, you cannot complain an open can about that. Otherwise, I feel like someone is complaining a sports car runs too fast and a luxury car is too quiet
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:50 PM Post #100 of 129
Well, as I said numerous times, the HD 590 that I used to own sounded incoherent compared to the HD 600 that I currently own.

Jul 13, 2003 at 12:46 PM Post #101 of 129
I wore out a pair of 490's from constant use (headband broke) so upgraded to the 590's. My financial situation being somewhat improved by that time allowed me to invest in an amp for them as well - selected Little More Power by Headroom. Interesting how much an amp can change the character of the sound reproduction. Really is a joy now to load my favorite tracks, the new equipment almost makes me feel like I'm there in the audience. Anyway, life definitely better when you finally have a job pays well enough to enjoy a few toys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #104 of 129
Here to throw in my $0.02 on the HD-590s. They're just amazing, and have inspired me to purchase a dedicated headphone amp and a Stefan Audio Art Equinox cable.

I for one enjoy what has been characterized as the slightly 'brighter' sound of the 590s compared to other high-end Sennheisers. They truly were unbearably bright when I first got them, especially with certain material. Stabbed at my ears, they did. But after about 50-70 hours of burn in, they've really become more laid-back and just sound wonderful. I'm currently enjoying listening to my CD collection all over again with these 'phones. My poor iRiver lies alone and unused until I can afford an amp to go with it. The little PCDP output just doesn't do the 590s justince IMO, regardless of the many "it's easy to drive" comments to the contrary.

I'll post reviews as soon as I get my new toys and try 'em with the 590s.

-Chad

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #105 of 129
I've recently owned and sold both the 590 and 600, and I used to own a 565 and a 580. Odd, but the only one I'm not sure I did the right thing in selling is the 590. I keep thinking that if I'd burned it in a bit more (a lot more?) and got a better cable (even if I'd had to make it myself) I could have transformed it into a phone I could have happily lived with. To me it seemed the best balanced of all the Senn phones, the only one that allowed me to hear a cymbal crash as I hear it in the concert hall, and not like someone punching a pillow a la 580/600. Sorry, 580/600 owners!
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back