just how many people realy like the hd-590's?
Mar 31, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #76 of 129
The limited edition cans also come with earcups twice the size of the already huge 590 earcups for ultra wide soundstage.

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

That is so thick and sturdy that a hen can never peck through it...
(refer to Chinese idioms
biggrin.gif
)

Lol
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #77 of 129
Has anyone here (besides Jan Meier, I read his review) gotten to compare the Sennheiser 590 to the Beyerdynamic DT931? The descriptions are very similar.

Mar 31, 2002 at 7:04 PM Post #79 of 129
Alright, for more discussion. . . (and beating this thread to death)

How do the 590's compare to the ATH-W100's in the category of

1. Overall Transparency (How veiled are they compared to W100)
2. Sound Quality
3. Bass (that might be interesting- both have good bass)
4. Midrange and Treble
5. Efficiency (how are they w/ and w/o an amp- are they good w/o one?)

Just helping Tom drag this post on(that should have been dead long ago by normal standards in this forum)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #81 of 129
i listened to sen 590 [which i wanted to buy , i liked the removalable cord , which meant no cutting out with the sound that my friend has and still has on his sen580]

so i listened to 590 / 580 /600

590 = looks great , good power cord , bright sound

580 = what can i say and on special

600 = couldnt hear the difference between this and 580

i could never understand why sen has soooooooooo many models. give them their dues they know how to make headphones. Lets face it sen600's are a bargain and the disputed best headphone in the world .

Apr 1, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #82 of 129
Hi Ken---

agreed the 600s are fine sounding, but:
a) they will not work well at all with portable devices (or most PC uses) unless you want to tote an amplifier around, which I do not. The 590 gives you a goodly portion of the 600s clarity, probably a bit more comfort (IMO) and can be driven much more easily. And:
b) the 590 has a more aggressive sound, putting the listener more in the middle of the soundstage a la Grado. Most 580/600 fans tend to not like the Grado sound, but those of us that like Grado's up front sound but dislike their relative lack of neutrality can find a decent compromise between the 325 and the 600 in the 590...

That said, the 600 is undoubtedly the finer headphone, but I think the 590 will continue to serve its own niche of users.

As for Senn's marketing and design, they deliberately manufacture more phone models than can logically be supported in hopes that some will serve a larger propulation of users than others. The ones that do survive and the rest get tossed (545, 575). This is exactly opposite of what Grado does, but it seems to work for Senn. Problem comes when they come up with a crop of crap like the period where the 500/570/400/433/490 ( and arguably the 495) were all in mainstream production. Fortunately for Senn and us, they've moved far beyond that stage with the newer 2x2sm 4x7s, 280...and the 590!

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #85 of 129
Come on, Tom, quit bumping it, just let the thread die a normal death! 1/3rd of the posts in the thread are your bump posts
smily_headphones1.gif

My 590s are in the mail, i'll do a review when I get them in, so just let the thread sit
wink.gif

peace,
phidauex

Apr 1, 2002 at 6:18 PM Post #86 of 129
get people who own the 590's to come out of the woodwork. So many threads on this board are about how good the hd-600's are. I just wanted to find out how many people like the 590's. I figured a post like this might make them less intimdated by others who favor the hd-600's and find the 590's to be crap. Any way, that is my explaination for the pumped posts. I will let this thread die. Thanks for the responses

Apr 1, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #87 of 129
Good call, Tom. So that the death of this thread won't be in vain, I'd like you to know that I look at the HD-590's in a whole new light now. I consider them as Sennheiser's only headphone that doesn't sound like a Sennheiser, which can be construed as both a good or bad thing, really.

I had to let my B&O A8 thread go; I started it like you did, to bring anybody out of the woodwork who might have liked the A8's. Consider yourself lucky- a lot of people DID come out of the woodwork in your case, but in my case, nobody ended up liking the A8's. Even I ended up hating them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #89 of 129
Well, I just got an Equinox cable monday and must say it really adds to the transparency of the music, I've been hearing little things all over the place since burning it in.

Very nice.

Jun 15, 2003 at 12:18 AM Post #90 of 129
I love my senn 590s also, got them few months ago -- I am interesting in how worthwhile a upgraded cable would be for them!! This thread should never die :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back