just how many people realy like the hd-590's?
Apr 26, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #106 of 129
590 lover here. My wife likes it even better. She keeps telling me, "You can sell whatever headphone gear you want, just dont touch MY headphones..."
icon10.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #107 of 129
I love mine even with their stock cable and Radio Shack (shudder) extension cable...I only wish there was less leakage of sound as I would love to use these portably to watch DVD movies on the go and not bug my fellow travellers...but the Senn 200s do just fine for those times.

I am looking forward to adding an amp to the 590s that is being built for me by an awesome headfier as I know they will blossom even more. (currently using the extra jack on my Pioneer Dolby Headphone amp on "neutral" with the Audio Asylum-made famous Tosh SD 3950 player)

PS....I agree on these being the comfiest phones I've owned.

John

May 31, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #108 of 129
600smile.gif

I still have mine HD590 with 6 feet Equinox replacement cable and enjoy them very much. Now that Senn have replaced them by 595 brother, it has became more of the "collector's item". Great value for trance and relaxation music. You've got to try them with "Global Comunoication - 76 14" to have a
eggosmile.gif

May 31, 2004 at 12:59 PM Post #109 of 129
I bought my 590's before discovering head-fi.

I think the 590's have a great high end, and a great low end, but I find the mid range to be less than perfect. If these had the mid range of AKG K501's, these would be much better headphones.

Whatever the case, I think that the 590's are great value.

May 31, 2004 at 2:42 PM Post #110 of 129
Since my last post, I have received my PIMETA from JMT...and there's even more Senn590 love going on. Liking the sound alot more even with stock cable but got that little itch that wonders how much improvement the 595s would be ...hmmmmmm

May 31, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #111 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
I bought my 590's before discovering head-fi.

I think the 590's have a great high end, and a great low end, but I find the mid range to be less than perfect. If these had the mid range of AKG K501's, these would be near perfect, if not perfect headphones.

Whatever the case, I think that the 590's are great value.

Upgraded stock cable and a lil tweaking with a EQ really help a tonne too
600smile.gif

I still love my 590s had em about 16 months, great phones imho.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #113 of 129
The 590 are amazing headphones, trully excellent for the price (at least here in Lisbon). I only stopped listening to them after getting in touch with the Sony CD3000. Way better.... but the 590 are still very special headphones.

Jun 7, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #114 of 129
Despite their lack of mids and a slightly loose low end, they are superbly detailed headphones that offer what is arguably the best comfort level of all circumaural headphones.

Jun 7, 2004 at 10:44 AM Post #115 of 129
My HD590's are fully broken in now and I'm loving them.

Yes they do lack a bit of mid-range, but not enough for me to change.
I took them to uni during swotvac and my mates kept taking them and wearing them cos they were comfy.

Now all i need is to make a DIY cable, its just that the 2.5mm jack that will fit
the HD590 is very elusive!

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #116 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leeco
600smile.gif

I still have mine HD590 with 6 feet Equinox replacement cable and enjoy them very much. Now that Senn have replaced them by 595 brother, it has became more of the "collector's item". Great value for trance and relaxation music. You've got to try them with "Global Comunoication - 76 14" to have a
eggosmile.gif

communication*

superb taste in music.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #117 of 129
Here's one more vote in favour of the HD-590's! To me they're a compromise between the Grados and the Senns. I listened to the HD-600, the SR-125 and the HD-590 before I bought. Unfortunately the HD-580's were hard to find in my area. Anyway, I liked the Senns and the Grados for different reasons. Sometimes I want a wide soundstage, and sometimes I want to feel closer. I bought the HD-590's because, to me, they had a much wider soundstage than the Grados, yet didn't feel quite as distant as the HD-600's. It's a compromise, and no compromise is perfect. In most cases, they do an outstanding job. I love the bass and they're very detailed. Yes, the midrange isn't perfect, but overall I love their sound. They're super comfy too!
eggosmile.gif

May 12, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #118 of 129
The midrange is why I like my 590s. I use my cans to EQ classical historical recordings for CD mastering. I would much prefer to have my reference speakers next to my computer workstation, but unfortunately, it isn't possible. I did a lot of testing of a lot of different brands of cans, and the 590s were the best at accurately reproducing what the music would sound like through speakers. All of the other headphones I used and peaks and valleys that caused me to reverse compensate with my EQ.

I also like the fact that there is only one cord to get tangled in, and how lightweight and comfortable they are. I sometimes wear them for 8 hours at a stretch, and closed cans would make my ears a swamp.

I recently dragged the sharp edge of a chair leg over the cord and chewed it up. It looks like a royal mess, but there is no shorting at all. The stock cord is great. I got a replacement for it on the Sennheiser website for under $8. No pricey snake oil for me.

If you like your music colored in a particular way... lots of bass or crisp highs... you aren't going to like these. But if you listen to a lot of acoustic music, you'll appreciate the accuracy.

See ya
Steve

Aug 17, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #119 of 129
I didn't care for the sound of the 590's, honestly thought they were brighter than my SR-80's. They definately had a lot of detail though, probably more than the SR-80's. Either way they are light and much more comfortable than the HD-600's I listened to (heavier and vice-like grip on your head...and people complain about Grado's being uncomfortable?!?!).

Random comment:

I honestly think the HD-590 is one of the best looking can's that Sennheiser makes. Not that the visual look is that important to sound.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #120 of 129
Upgraded my 497 to the 590 some months ago, now using the 497 at work (I love going home
tongue.gif
)
Have little complaint about them, though they sound just a little less detailed then the ES2's from the same source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back