Just how bad is AD700's lack of bass? Can it be fixed with EQ?
Nov 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

riker1384

100+ Head-Fier
I was thinking of getting a pair of AD700, they seem to be well-liked and I have to spend lass than $100. The only major complaint I see about them is the bass. From the Headroom graph, they look -5db around 50 hz and the -10 is below 35hz. That's not great, but it sounds comparable to a pair of bookshelf speakers. (Which can often be enjoyable without a sub, for some music.) How bad is it? I listen to a variety of music.

Can they be EQ'd to give satisfying bass, by turning on "bass boost" on itunes or an Ipod, or turning up the bass on a home stereo? I imagine headphones should be able to handle bass boost better than speakers, right? 

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 35
In short, yes, some EQ tweaking can get you more pronounced bass. Don't expect it to be brain-rattling, boomy, junk-in-the-trunk bass though -- these just aren't the right cans for that. I've found that the "Classical" EQ setting in iTunes/iPod is perfect for bringing the AD700's to life for me.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 35
I really liked the open, airy presentation of the AD700s, but like most people, the bass was insufficient for me.  They're just not bassy headphones.  I upgraded to recabled K701s, which had a lovely tone, but still not enough bass.  Now I've got the HD600s, which are very well balanced, but I do kind of miss having some wicked bass, just for fun, so I've got the HFI-780s incoming
very_evil_smiley.gif
.  I demoed them at 32 Ohm Audio yesterday and the bass is sexy.  If you're looking for warm, bassy (but still clean and detailed) headphones for around the same price, I'd go with the Denon D1001s (discontinued, apparently, but still can be found).

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 35
You seem to have went around. I think you would have enjoyed the AD2000s...

Quote:
I really liked the open, airy presentation of the AD700s, but like most people, the bass was insufficient for me.  They're just not bassy headphones.  I upgraded to recabled K701s, which had a lovely tone, but still not enough bass.  Now I've got the HD600s, which are very well balanced, but I do kind of miss having some wicked bass, just for fun, so I've got the HFI-780s incoming
very_evil_smiley.gif
.  I demoed them at 32 Ohm Audio yesterday and the bass is sexy.  If you're looking for warm, bassy (but still clean and detailed) headphones for around the same price, I'd go with the Denon D1001s (discontinued, apparently, but still can be found).

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
You seem to have went around. I think you would have enjoyed the AD2000s...

As do I, D2000's are a good medium between Open headphones and closed headphones. They still leak sound but it's not THAT bad, and you still get the nice balance of a more expensive headphone such as an HD600 or 650. Even the Denon House signature is reminiscent of Sennheisers higher end open headphones.

I can't read. ;P

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 35
I believe Wind016 is talking about the AD2000s.  They seem pretty nice, but they're very expensive (for me).  If he's referring to the D2000s, I had them, and sold them a day after I got the HD600s, because I found the HD600s to be superior.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 35
I remember reading somewhere that a couple of peeps who think EQing helps.  To me, I wouldn't count on it. I think the AD700 are pretty bass shy and the bass they produce are thin, slightly hollow, and lack extension.  I don't like to EQ and don't really have a slight idea how to EQ.  I would imagine EQing would make it slightly more punchy, but will not sound deep enough.  The AD700 are just not bass headphones, at all.  To me songs that require bass will sound slight odd like rap/hip hop/trance/electronica/club mix. you will hear the bass are present, but lack energy and power (below avg.).  When I put them on, the word that come to mind are elegant and graceful not head bopping and foot tapping.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #11 of 35
I know my opinion is one of the minorities around here but I don't think the AD700's bass "lacks" but "isn't quite on the same level" compared to other cans.

I think the "lack of bass" is a little over exaggerated since they are such a common headphone recommendation that many newbies here will regurgitate this information and it comes off as a very unattractive option for people who may be genuinely interested in what this headphone has to offer.

Part of this I think is because of how good it is for gaming, and many gamers like that home theater blow-your-ears-off earth shattering bass; compared to this then yes, the AD700 will not deliver that kind of experience.

I do believe that the AD700 is an excellent headphone with incredible value; especially the soundstage, incredible imaging, unmatched comfort and in my opinion, reasonable bass.

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 35

Quote:
I know my opinion is one of the minorities around here but I don't think the AD700's bass "lacks" but "isn't quite on the same level" compared to other cans.

I think the "lack of bass" is a little over exaggerated since they are such a common headphone recommendation that many newbies here will regurgitate this information and it comes off as a very unattractive option for people who may be genuinely interested in what this headphone has to offer.

Part of this I think is because of how good it is for gaming, and many gamers like that home theater blow-your-ears-off earth shattering bass; compared to this then yes, the AD700 will not deliver that kind of experience.

I do believe that the AD700 is an excellent headphone with incredible value; especially the soundstage, incredible imaging, unmatched comfort and in my opinion, reasonable bass.

They are good in bass,in my opinion, due to their lack of bass. It's there, of course. Not all the way down but that upper sub mid bass is there. It's thin, low db, and it's textured correctly and tight. It's good but not in violumes. This is good though for gaming in the fact the grenades aren't  drowning out the footsteps.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
How do they compare to the HD555? I've heard those described as bass shy, but they were fine for me. I can't find FR graphs on the 555.

If you are fine with HD555, then you might be fine with the AD700.  I have spoken to this one guy on this forum who went from the HD555 to AD700 and he just love the AD700.  He think they are better than the HD555.  I didn't ask him about bass.   If this is true then you will probable love the AD700.  This is when I was in the market for the AD700 and then I bought them.  I like them for everything else beside bass, but I expected it and was experiment with different type of sounding headphones.  I still listen to them occasionally, but are in the bottom of my headphone priority.  This is most likely because I like heavy bass.  I grabbed them occasionally when I want to relax at night while surfing the web.
  I was concern since you question about bass, usually people who ask about bass like a little more than avg. amount of bass like me haha.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 35
audio technica's are not generally regarded as "bassy" phones. Having said that, I find that the ESW-9 has plenty of bass presence. I suppose that someone looking for bass heft in a headphone may find the AD700 wanting. But if you're looking for tight, textured bass, then you might find it to your liking.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back