Just heard the Dr. Dre Beats today
Jan 31, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
The portable version, not the full sized ones. I listened to a couple of songs out of my 6G Nano and I didn't really like the sound. So to anyone who has listened, how do you feel about the sound quality in relation to other IEMs?

Compared to the SE535s, the bass was stronger but that was it. Mind you, I said stronger, not better. I didnt like them. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 27

I don't like them either. Nothing but sibilance mixed with bass. Their marketing is amazing though. Everywhere I look, someone has a pair; and they all believe that they sound great

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 27
I heard my friend's pair for about 15 minutes and my regular turbines are better in almost every aspect. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 27
The Beats Solo (HD)? Heard them at 2 store. At first I thought one was defective because there was no highs at all; it seems like it's rolled off at 6khz. I went to another store and I heard the same crap. It has boated/a bit muddy bass, average mid(not too recessed), and no highs. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
I think a significant portion of them think they sounds amazing. The people I know that own bose genuinely think they make the best sounding audio gear around.

Quote:
People who buy Beats headphones aren't buying them for the sound quality. Kinda like Bose. 

Definitely; until you actually hear better; how do you know there is? The ONLY high end pair of headphones I have seen in a store were some Shure 210(#?). In Best Buy. On the bottom rack. The Beats were put on display at the top with their 300 price tag. If it costs that much it must sound good you know?

But yea, unless you actually find a site like this or read reviews posted of others online about the "real" stuff, you would never know it existed. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 27

It almost pisses me off when kids at my highschool talk about Beats and how good they are.

If you joined only to say that, then you joined for a good reason. :)
Not to be an egotist or anything, but I also get annoyed when people look at my SE425s (or any of my regularly used headphones, for that matter) and then say that their piece-of-crap Beats have superior sound quality. Oi, I could prolly take the wire on my Shures and choke them, eh?

Also, my post isn't based merely on opinion - I have owned a pair of the Studios (returned after 3 days) and I currently own a pair of the Solos. :cool:

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 27
I had tours coz all the kids at my school had them and were boasting about how good they were. Bought them without thinking, then tried them at home...slightly better than my CX300II with crappy bass extension and screeching highs

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 27
Here's a good one for you guys. I was once killing some time at BestBuy and decided to try out some beats on display. I had my iPod and started listening and couldn't believe people were actually paying 300 bucks for these headphones. In any case one of the girls who work there saw me demoing them and came over and asked how I liked them. Politely I said I wasn't that impressed with the sound quality. She looked at me all puzzled and responded she was surprised because everyone who tried them seemed to like them and then she said she was saving up to get herself a pair. I sort of felt sorry for the kid and asked her if she had ever tried a pair of Grado's. When she said no I took her over to the computer compartment and pulled up the Grado SR60 site page all the while telling her that she could save some serious money and get far better sound from a Grado. Her response was those things look so ugly they couldn't possibly sound good. I nearly did a face palm right then and there.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Here's a good one for you guys. I was once killing some time at BestBuy and decided to try out some beats on display. I had my iPod and started listening and couldn't believe people were actually paying 300 bucks for these headphones. In any case one of the girls who work there saw me demoing them and came over and asked how I liked them. Politely I said I wasn't that impressed with the sound quality. She looked at me all puzzled and responded she was surprised because everyone who tried them seemed to like them and then she said she was saving up to get herself a pair. I sort of felt sorry for the kid and asked her if she had ever tried a pair of Grado's. When she said no I took her over to the computer compartment and pulled up the Grado SR60 site page all the while telling her that she could save some serious money and get far better sound from a Grado. Her response was those things look so ugly they couldn't possibly sound good. I nearly did a face palm right then and there.

This is why i hate capitalist consumerist culture.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 27
unfortunately that capitalist culture gives you the selection you have today although i tend to agree with you.

Quote:
This is why i hate capitalist consumerist culture.

funny enough i went to future shop and tried out the beats and compared them to my shure srh840s and i thought the beats were trash. and the girl working there asked me what i thought of them she said something along the lines of (i see your comparing your shures to the beats what do you think?) i was listening to the studios at the time and i said i wasn't impressed and i proclaimed my shures were much better. she replied with "shure makes some of the best headphones we sell here" i looked at here shocked she new that much. i had gotten those shures there and she said to try the beats pros. so i tried them and they were better but still didn't compare to my shures. she was shocked that i didn't like the beats talking about how everyone seems to like the beats. i got into a big discussion about how i was a beginner audiophile and that i knew good sound when i heard it. i told her of a few brands and she was listening. i told her about head-fi and she was interested. but i then stopped the conversation about half way through my m50s vs beats conversation and she had to help a customer. overall i felt i had accomplished something. but i still wonder if you had actually heard the shures or if she just heard the beats. she already knew the pros were better but she still had thought the studios were good. i don't think she has heard anything high end. but the guys at future shop all preached to me how good the shures were. and some who actually knew what they were talking about were shocked i knew the beats were trash and they actually agreed with me. perhaps there is hope for this world.

Quote:

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #15 of 27
haha.. I should walk in..  :D or i could just bring all of my fake headphones (GASP. (they're all beats (I vowed at the beginning of my audiophilia never to buy fake headphones from all the names that are well regarded on Head-Fi.org)))
When they listen to it.. I should ask them how they think of it.(90% of the people who listen to them shouldn't be able to hear a difference. I've tried this on about half of the 25 people who have beats headphones at our school. They all fell for it.). And then tell them that
1. It's fake.
2. You probably couldn't hear the difference.
3. I paid 1/7 of the price to get these.
but then again, i'm Asian. So. It's worth it.
(I DO NOT CONDONE BUYING FAKE HEADPHONES. LET THIS BE CLEAR TO ALL OF YOU. I AM A OPPORTUNISTIC EGOMANIAC THAT HAS FOUND THE LOVE OF AUDIO QUALITY AND NEEDS TO GUIDE THE UNINITIATED TO THE MAGIC OF HEAD-FI.ORG WHICH IS THE SAVIOUR FOR THOSE LOST SOULS.)
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back