Just got the HD558. Wow, it's really good!
Apr 3, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #32 of 47
No, they are quite different actually. I have had them both for the past few weeks for comparison, and the HD598 is much more comfortable than the HD558. Not only is the top of the headband more comfortable, but the major difference is the clamping force. The HD558 feels like a Sennheiser clamp, while the HD598 is more along the AD900 type of clamp. The result is making the HD598 much more wearable for long periods of time. They simply just disappear from your head after a couple minutes. The HD558 makes you know you are wearing headphones, and it gets annoying after a while (although, still pretty comfy). Also, stretching headband does NOT work on the HD558, but it works very well for the HD598. Although, the HD598 likes to retain a bit of it's shape after stretching, but still, stock it's much better.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 47
Wow. GREAT informative thread! You should add the HD 598 in the thread title as I was looking for more impressions of it. This was a HD598 comparisons galore thread. Thanks Katun, tdockweiler, and others for their impressions! I will try to order a pair soon.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #35 of 47
I recently got the Denon AH-D1100's and I don't like them because the bass on them is kind of strong and the right ear cup has lower volume then the left ear cup. Now I'm thinking of getting the HD558's and I have a few questions on them.
  • Do they require a headphone amp, even though I will be connecting them directly to my Pioneer AV Receiver?
  • Are they good in bass?
  • Are there cracking issues near the ear eups on these headphones like the previous generation?
  • Are these good for blu-ray movies and playing Xbox 360 game?

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #36 of 47

Quote:
I recently got the Denon AH-D1100's and I don't like them because the bass on them is kind of strong and the right ear cup has lower volume then the left ear cup. Now I'm thinking of getting the HD558's and I have a few questions on them.
  • Do they require a headphone amp, even though I will be connecting them directly to my Pioneer AV Receiver?
  • Are they good in bass?
  • Are there cracking issues near the ear eups on these headphones like the previous generation?
  • Are these good for blu-ray movies and playing Xbox 360 game?

talking about the 598's  ( shouldn't be too different for the 558s)

1.  Yep, i hooked it up to my receiver and sounded great ( going ot get a E11 amp though, or a ccmcoy
2.  I think so, sounds good to me
3.  nope havn't heard anything
4.  Yep i got them for ps3 games and blu-ray movies.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #37 of 47
I really want to try out the HD558/HD598. From everything I've read so far they seem like they're really a bargain... plus I love the look of them.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #38 of 47
I just ordered the HD558's. I wanted to buy the HD598's, but what turned me off was the color scheme and that cracking issues on the headband that many people complained about. Also I read some postings here that Sennheiser fixed the cracking issue after their first batch was shipped to retailers. I hope that I will be happy with the HD558's sound quality coming out of my Pioneer AV receiver while I watch blu-ray movies, play Xbox 360 games, listening to uncompressed music, and that I don't get the cracking headband issue. If I do get the cracking issue, I will have Sennheiser to replace them. Now I'm off to UPS to ship back my Denon AH-D1100 back to the dealer for a refund.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #39 of 47
kage, my HD558 do have small cracks, but I'm probably the first head-fier to have them, since October of last year. Just a heads-up. You'll definitely enjoy these for movies and games, they have an excellent, spacious sound. Do try the mod, see which way you like them best.

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #40 of 47
Yesterday, I received the HD558's and the sound quality from them is excellent as is the comfort level. I have them connected into my Pioneer VSX-1120 AV receiver. The bass on them is not as strong as the Denon AH-D1100 that I shipped back to the retailer last week. I like the not so strong bass on the HD558's. Actually the bass on the HD558's are strong for an opened ear headphone.

There is one minor flaw with them that and its an easy fix. The flaw is the cable. The cable is 1.5 feet too short to reach my receiver. I had to move my sofa a little bit forward for the headphone cable to reach my receiver's headphone jack. Can someone please recommend where I can get an a good quality 3ft extension cable and a 1/4" headphone adapter that I can connect it to my receiver?

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #41 of 47

Are you REALLY complaining that a headphone's cable is 1.5" feel too short?
regular_smile%20.gif
I guess if that's all so far, then that's a good thing.
I suggest monoprice. I get most of my cables from them. They even have some computer stuff for cheap. Like eSATA HD docks for $25.
They even have cheap shipping prices. They won't charge you $8 to ship a 2 oz item.

You can probably get both items for under $10 total.
Quote:
Yesterday, I received the HD558's and the sound quality from them is excellent as is the comfort level. I have them connected into my Pioneer VSX-1120 AV receiver. The bass on them is not as strong as the Denon AH-D1100 that I shipped back to the retailer last week. I like the not so strong bass on the HD558's. Actually the bass on the HD558's are strong for an opened ear headphone.

There is one minor flaw with them that and its an easy fix. The flaw is the cable. The cable is 1.5 feet too short to reach my receiver. I had to move my sofa a little bit forward for the headphone cable to reach my receiver's headphone jack. Can someone please recommend where I can get an a good quality 3ft extension cable and a 1/4" headphone adapter that I can connect it to my receiver?

May 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #42 of 47

Quote:

The bass on the HD 558's fine tunes itself a bit further after a couple weeks of use, while still remaining neutral. They sound wonderful!
The cord is too short? Seriously? That cord can almost reach across my entire room! I hope for an option of a shorter replacement cable.
Has Sennheiser released any replacements cables yet? I'm always paranoid about cables shorting out. 

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #43 of 47
Although HD650 is the best headphone I've ever listened to, but limited by the budget I bought HD558 instead.
Compared with my old AKG K240S, they both express every music detail, but K240 lacks in 3D feeling. Musical details are relatively expressed on the same plane and I feel that I'm listening to a precise machine.
On the other hand, HD558 seems to play different instruments at different positions and makes me feel that I'm there hearing music played by human. Quite enjoyable.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #44 of 47
I am loving my HD 558's, I have never been satisfied before but I am now and I am not using an amp, I am just using my Samsung Galaxy Player 5 and iPod Touch 4, I do plan on getting an e7 or e11, haven't decided yet. I also have some Klipsch x10i's that used to sound better then anything I had heard but now they sound kind of dull, everything else I listen to feels like it lacks treble after listening to these HD 558's I have a whole new appreciation for treble that I never had before, I used to not like it so much because I never heard it like this.. Anyway I don't think I have a pair with the cracking issues, I purchased them less then 2 weeks ago so I think they are newer, also I don't hear them making any creaking noises when I move them around in my hands.

E7 or E11? 

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:
I am loving my HD 558's, I have never been satisfied before but I am now and I am not using an amp, I am just using my Samsung Galaxy Player 5 and iPod Touch 4, I do plan on getting an e7 or e11, haven't decided yet. I also have some Klipsch x10i's that used to sound better then anything I had heard but now they sound kind of dull, everything else I listen to feels like it lacks treble after listening to these HD 558's I have a whole new appreciation for treble that I never had before, I used to not like it so much because I never heard it like this.. Anyway I don't think I have a pair with the cracking issues, I purchased them less then 2 weeks ago so I think they are newer, also I don't hear them making any creaking noises when I move them around in my hands.

E7 or E11? 

Glad to know you like it.
I'd recommend E17 for hd558,
E17 = a better E7 + E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back