Just got Sansa Clip+, to rockbox or not to rockbox?
Jun 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 107
Quote:
Also, I don't need eq. Does rockbox affect sound at all otherwise?

A little bit, for it corrects the playback speed which is slightly off in the SanDisk firmware. Most people don't notice the difference though.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 107
I rockboxed my clip+ mostly because of the crossfeed filter!

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 107
The day I purchased my Clip+ I rockboxed within three minutes of listening to the stock firmware which I thought was already great, but now I've gone back. I was mucking around one day ABing different sources and found the stock player better if you don't need Nasa EQ,  less hassle making use of stock custom EQ sytem. Rockbox lacks some clarity imo, it's a very fine line between the two but I found myself constantly trying to adjust rockbox EQ without getting the same results as stock firmware.

I think the best thing to do is install it, check it out yourself, you can dual boot anyway, I still have rockbox installed, I just boot the Sansa firmware by holding the direction pad left while pressing the power button on start up. It's almost like owning two DAPS in one! Talk about value for money!

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 107
Mmm, interesting.. Transferring music onto my player so I type this, so will take a listen for myself soon.. Taking a while, only class 4 microSDHC :p

In the meantime, any other thoughts and experiences on how rockbox affects the SQ on Sansa Clip+?

How about battery life?

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 107
Quote:
Mmm, interesting.. Transferring music onto my player so I type this, so will take a listen for myself soon.. Taking a while, only class 4 microSDHC :p

In the meantime, any other thoughts and experiences on how rockbox affects the SQ on Sansa Clip+?

How about battery life?

Depends on what files you load onto it. As I recall, it boosted my high bitrate MP3 battery life from 10.5  to ~15 hours, and if you use FLAC , the battery life jumps dramatically....from ~7 hours to ~16 hours.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 107
Quote:
Depends on what files you load onto it. As I recall, it boosted my high bitrate MP3 battery life from 10.5  to ~15 hours, and if you use FLAC , the battery life jumps dramatically....from ~7 hours to ~16 hours.

So Rockbox causes the Clip+ to last longer playing 1k kbps FLACs than 320 KBPS MP3s? >.>

And what did you mean by correcting the playback speed?

Jun 12, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 107
Just did some A/B comparisons with my iPod Touch, felt that the Clip+ sounds just a tad more boring..

Why is it?

Is it because the iPod has coloration of some sort and I'm used to it?

Both on flat eq, btw..

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #11 of 107
Quote:
So Rockbox causes the Clip+ to last longer playing 1k kbps FLACs than 320 KBPS MP3s? >.>

And what did you mean by correcting the playback speed?

The playback speed on the Clip+ is off by around 1/4 of 1%. Perhaps less than 1% of people can even hear this difference. Those who detect it tend to do so with electronics, and not their ears. Sandisk decided that to correct this it would drop battery life too much so they left it. On the original Clip, the pitch error was around 3/4 of 1%, which was noticeable to many more people.

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #12 of 107
Thanks.

Anyway, why does my Clip+ sometimes tell me there's no .rockbox directory? Only sometimes, which I feel is weird. Sometimes, it hangs on the Rockbox screen. And sometimes, it works flawlessly.. Why can't it just be flawless all the time!

The .rockbox folder is right there when I open my player on my PC.

Have reformatted and reinstalled both OF and RB on my player multiple times to no avail..

Anyone able to help?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 107
Very strange.
My Clip+ is as old (or new) as your's but the only error I found are 3-5 freezes in about one month that were fixed by a reboot.
...even after I added a 32GB micro SD everything is working well.

Sorry no idea -what are the rockbox forums saying?

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 107
Try a different rockbox version, you may be running an unstable version or something. I had to try a couple before I found the one that worked flawlessly and doesn't freeze. Mind you I forgot which version that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back