Just got my new DT-990 Pro's (250 ohm) but is my soundcard up to the job?
Sep 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dannykebab

New Head-Fier
Hey guys my main usage for these headphones is gaming, I mainly play the Arma2 zombie mod DayZ which uses the Xaudio 2 sound engine also the occasional Battlefield 3, CS: GO and the odd bit of music listening but am I really getting the best out of the dt-990s with my current soundcard the Creative X-fi Xtrememusic? Could anyone tell me how many ohms the xtrememusic can actually supply because I cant seem to find the information anywhere? Should I purchase a cheap such as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-Fi-Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6N11-AMP-/300534444148?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item45f93fb074#ht_3305wt_1163

Cheers for reading guys
Dan

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hey guys my main usage for these headphones is gaming, I mainly play the Arma2 zombie mod DayZ which uses the Xaudio 2 sound engine also the occasional Battlefield 3, CS: GO and the odd bit of music listening but am I really getting the best out of the dt-990s with my current soundcard the Creative X-fi Xtrememusic? Could anyone tell me how many ohms the Xtrememusic can actually supply because I cant seem to find the information anywhere? Should I purchase a cheap such as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-Fi-Class-A-Hybrid-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-6N11-AMP-/300534444148?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item45f93fb074#ht_3305wt_1163

That Muse 6N11 tube amplifier will connect to the line-out/headphone jack on the XtremeMusic and easily power the 250-Ohm headphones.
Go for it.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the quick reply purple :) im new to all this so didn't want to go blindly buying stuff I may/may not need. Just another question will the amp alter the emulated surround sound from cmss-3d or any other games I play at all? And is there an alternative amp/setup I could look at but not too more expensive. Really want to get the most from these cans loving them so far

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply purple
smily_headphones1.gif
im new to all this so didn't want to go blindly buying stuff I may/may not need. Just another question will the amp alter the emulated surround sound from cmss-3d or any other games I play at all? And is there an alternative amp/setup I could look at but not too more expensive. Really want to get the most from these cans loving them so far

The Muse 6N11 should only boost the volume, not do any "funny stuff" to the audio coming from the XtremeMusic.
Newegg is currently selling refurb X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) for $45.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 11
ok nice and would you say there is a real need for me to have an amp for these headphones whilst using the xtreme music i mean i tend to play my games and listen to music at medium, nice volume level. would an amp affect the sound of these headphones with that usage or is it only for when you really want to have the volume high? 

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
ok nice and would you say there is a real need for me to have an amp for these headphones whilst using the xtreme music i mean i tend to play my games and listen to music at medium, nice volume level. would an amp affect the sound of these headphones with that usage or is it only for when you really want to have the volume high? 

I would assume (guess) the Xtreme Music would not drive 250-Ohm headphones, but years ago when I used Creative sound cards, my headphone(s) were usually around 32-Ohm, so I have zero experience to base any opinion on.
But I would be very surprised if any sound card of the Xtreme Music's time period would drive 250-Ohm headphones.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
ah so if it isnt does havnt the power to drive the headphones correctly what implications will that have to sound quality?

I would assuming the T70 would not sound that great, the line-out (headphone) jack on the XtremeMusic is more like a line-out that pretends to be a headphone jack.
Are you currently using the DT990 and T70 plugged straight into the line-out (headphone) jack on the XtremeMusic?
How does it sound to you?

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes i have the headphones plugged straight into the soundcard at the pack of my pc, and sorry you lost me at the T70 bit what exactly is that? And so far it sounds ok but i dont have a better audio source to try it with. I take it higher ohms would only benefit the headphones when i am trying to play at louder volumes but at lower reasonable volumes the ohm rating of the soundcard would not affect it?

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Yes i have the headphones plugged straight into the sound card at the pack of my PC, and sorry you lost me at the T70 bit what exactly is that? And so far it sounds ok but I don't have a better audio source to try it with. I take it higher ohms would only benefit the headphones when i am trying to play at louder volumes but at lower reasonable volumes the ohm rating of the sound card would not affect it?

Oops about the T70, I've been advising another Head-Fi about amping his Beyerdynamic T70s, got you two confused.
Stereo receivers usually come with decently powered headphone jack, know anyone with a receiver for testing the DT990?

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #11 of 11
No i dont know anybody with one :frowning2: im tempted to just send them back and get a pair of AD700's from audio technica i guess it wont take as much to power those headphones and base isnt really that important to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back