just got my Ms 400s and I got a question about foam inserts?
Jun 2, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
So I just ordered a pair of used ms 400s for portability and they don't sound as good as the m50 but I wanted to get more bass from the ms 400s because I think these are the second generation, which aparenaly have less bass. Do the first ms 400s have foam on the ear pad?
I wanted to know if its ok if i put foam inserts behind the pads, because I get a darker sound but the mids have an odd resonance I can't quite get my finger on. What foam should I use I'm using foam from some ancient headphones so I dont know if they are too thick or something. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 11
Some have had good luck putting materials behind the pads, but I found it really messed up the sound.  You don't want to use something totally transparent, because it will send all kinds of sound reflections around in there.  At the same time, you don't want anything in front of the driver, either.  You might want to try some cotton balls, felt, or acoustic foam.

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Some have had good luck putting materials behind the pads, but I found it really messed up the sound.  You don't want to use something totally transparent, because it will send all kinds of sound reflections around in there.  At the same time, you don't want anything in front of the driver, either.  You might want to try some cotton balls, felt, or acoustic foam.

well i found this foam on another pair of ancient headphones that seem to sound fine for mids but take some power out of treble, which is exactly what I wanted but it sounds a little odd like something is resonating. the accoustic faom sounds good but do you know anyhting that will specifically lower treble harshness because these have harsher treble than the m50 

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 11
I thought MS 400 were known for quite dark & warm sound signature. O_o

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 11
this is an odd topic :)

the m50 are larger and have more dynamic drivers, are less warm and have a different bass experience which leads to a more "monitor" style sound, The m50 is not meant to be a fun sounding can or at all portable, but the ms400 is so why the comparison heh? 

anyway, its not a permanent mod or anything so just give it a go, you can take them off any time you wish so go for it and less us all know what the results are.  And the 2nd gen has LESS bass?  I didn't know the drivers were any different than the original, i thought the new gen was purely cosmetic changes to the colors :[

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
this is an odd topic :)

the m50 are larger and have more dynamic drivers, are less warm and have a different bass experience which leads to a more "monitor" style sound, The m50 is not meant to be a fun sounding can or at all portable, but the ms400 is so why the comparison heh? 

anyway, its not a permanent mod or anything so just give it a go, you can take them off any time you wish so go for it and less us all know what the results are.  And the 2nd gen has LESS bass?  I didn't know the drivers were any different than the original, i thought the new gen was purely cosmetic changes to the colors :[

lol heres is what happened I dont know why but for some reason when I plugged them into my computer they sounded VERY odd so i  thought this is how they were supposed to sound... then one hour later I plugged em into my iphone and they sounded great mroe to my expectations so I'm assuming I dont know how to connect a audio jack into my computer XD because now it sounds fine, and yeah as you said its a lot more fun sounding ^^, which is exactly what I wanted. Also I decided to take the pads out although they made some nicer bass and slightly softer treble, they mufled the sound, I didn't like it.

Also, I was thinking about reviewing these headphones do you think anyone would actually care ? XD Or should I just not bother ?

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Put something rubbery behind the pads to conduct bass better. With my M50's I fold up a lot of electrical tape rolls and slide them all around behind each pad propping them up.

Really enhances the bass (makes it thud more).

I also tried it with other material like cardboard and foam and cottonballs, but those DECREASE bass.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 11
You found the highs harsh? The MS400 has one of the tamer trebles of any headphone I've heard. I did wind up stuffing some gauze under the earpad (not in front of the driver) which mellowed things out just a tiny bit. See some pics here... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495667/review-phiaton-ms-400

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 11
I also have some gauze stuffed under the earpads of my MS400s, but only about half (if that) as much as Armaegis had. Just enough to make sure my ears didn't touch the inside in front of the drivers, since the MS400 is entirely circumaural for me. Wow, glancing over at the MS400 earcups, I'm realizing *exactly* how ridiculously small my ears are. I will go hide my head in shame.

Oh, and the weird plugging into the headphone jack issue, Waki? I had the same problem with a pair of Grado SR60i I picked up. I thought that it sounded horrible, and couldn't hear the singer's voice (THAT was strange) and then twisted the plug a bit and bam! Worked fine. Very strange.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
You found the highs harsh? The MS400 has one of the tamer trebles of any headphone I've heard. I did wind up stuffing some gauze under the earpad (not in front of the driver) which mellowed things out just a tiny bit. See some pics here... http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495667/review-phiaton-ms-400

yeah it actually has cooled down a little ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back