Just got my JH 16's Today - Something Wrong?
May 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 59
I sent mine back in a week ago and JH has been AWOL on any updates.  I am irritated to say the least by the lack of reply.  How about at least an "Yes we received them and we are working on it and will get back to you soon."

My issue was the sound seems slightly off balance favoring the left side but I don't think it is a fit issue.  I guess this leaves either a dead driver or improper internal placement of drivers???  Not sure.

Sound seems like it is coming from behind me.  Imagine the face of a wall clock behind you.  Rather than 6:00 o'clock the sound seems centered around 7-7:30 o'clock.

I am no expert but I start to wonder if the high cost of multi-driver custom IEM's is much to do with covering the cost of re-fits which would seem more common with multi-driver versus a JH5 dual driver which would seem pretty straightforward and simple to get right first time (which they did with mine). 

May 13, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 59
I had the same thing with my JH16. Absolutely HATED them. So much sibilance that it actually made me pull funny squinting faces every time I heard it. I was shocked. I emailed JH back & forth a few times & sent them back for a tweak. Came back a little better but still (literally) painful to listen to. In the end I travelled over to Handheld Audio to listen to the demo units to see if that's what all JH16s sounded like. TBH I didn't rate the universal versions either (but they did sound better than my pair). While I was there I listened to the JH13 & can't describe how much better I found the treble presentation. I immediately emailed Noy & he agreed to change my order over to the JH13 (thankfully!!!!). Couldn't be happier.

I was using the UE11 before & thought I wanted the elevated bass still but the JH13 have been fine & I use them everyday.

On a side note.Mine were one of the first pairs to be made out of the new HQ & I've heard quite a few complaints since they've moved there. Maybe there is a slight discrepancy in there set up since moving? Just an idea...

May 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #18 of 59
Got mine not long ago and mine required quite a bit of burn in.

Treble was lovely, mids were great... bass was fat, bloated, and boomy.

Set my ipod classic on all songs random - plugged the headphones into my Alo RX Mk2, set it to a decent volume - and a week later the sound was completely different.

Gone was the boom, replaced by a solid thud. Mids and highs are more evenly matched. Remarkable!

Suggest you burn them in for a bit, if the sound doesnt even out after a few days of non stop music, send them back to be checked.

One thing I'd definitely say about the JH16s, they're definitely not flat!

May 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #19 of 59
Ummm, jh16's should not require burn in they are ba's they are not going to change significantly, I would definitely contact jh audio if I were you.
Also what is all this about sibilance on the jh16's, I did not hear any sibilance on the jh16's when I heard the demo's.
Also "bloated" boomy" bass is something I have never heard any one say about the jh16, yes they have a lot of bass but it is very clear, detailed and revealing bass that has perfect extension.

May 13, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 59
Okay, I need some experts here.  This is latest reply from JH.  What exactly does this mean in laymen terms.  I don't get it?  How do they know the right side doesn't fit?  How did they ship out that way in the first place?  Where is the QC?

Hi Steve,

[size=11pt]We run the curve both side and match each others. the right doesn’t have a perfect seal we will build the aperture to perfect and have bass and mid. Will ship it out to you today.[/size]
[size=11pt]Thanks,[/size]
[size=11pt]Noy [/size]

May 14, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 59
Spyro, I think when they got your impressions they scanned them and looked at the different curves in the two. I'm not sure how they think its not perfect, but they should know after working with them for so long. They do test for frequency range, and look at the charts.

Right now I don't know what to think. I honestly want to get my money back right now. But instead I'll just wait and see what JHA does with my new impressions and comments on sq. I can't believe I haven't noticed this until now, but the right side was really starting to hurt. It's a bad fit, but the left side is just short of perfect, so I don't see why both sides sounded flat.

May 14, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #22 of 59
Well I just used a sine generator, and it seems like my left iem has no high drivers! Any frequencies above 16000 I can't even hear, even maxed, and I can hear up to 19000. The right side works fine up to 19000 on.

May 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #23 of 59
Well, I at least they are overnighting them back to me.  Will have them back Monday morning so will surely report back here to advise the outcome.  Hoping they really did find an issue with them.

May 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #24 of 59
I have JH16 and they are phenomenal. I don't believe BA drivers in burn in soo not sure what to think about that lol
blink.gif

I've actually heard a similar issue when they 16's were first released and it had to do with the length of the stems in your impressions. If there are any bends in the canal part that goes into your ear it can drastically affect the sound, so the person that had the issue had to have them cut shorter and that resolved their issue. JH tests their IEMs before shipping them out to make sure that all the drivers are working, so if it was a dead driver they would definitely be able to see it, so if that your stem length would be the culprit.

May 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #25 of 59
My JH5's fit perfect and sound perfect.  I sent my JH5's in for them to model to make my JH16's and it didn't work out right.

It is my opinion that the more drivers you try to cram into a custom housing, the more difficult it will be to achieve 100% repeatibilty in the expected sweetspot of the perfect sound.  That's just the way it is.  There is less area to work with...placement of drivers within the available area....it is not an easy task.

May 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 59
Yup, I have to say that I don't care at all for my PL50s. I use them as gym earphones. Their lack of an strong low-end just didn't appeal to me.

Quote:
I've never heard a single pair of customs, but I try to give ANY new kit a week to 'settle in' - whether its my ears or the gear, something usually comes to an 'understanding'. That said, my PL50s sound as unexciting now as they did when I bought them 6 months ago, and the RE0 never really grew on me - sometimes you just have to cut your losses.

May 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #27 of 59

Quote:
My JH5's fit perfect and sound perfect.  I sent my JH5's in for them to model to make my JH16's and it didn't work out right.

It is my opinion that the more drivers you try to cram into a custom housing, the more difficult it will be to achieve 100% repeatibilty in the expected sweetspot of the perfect sound.  That's just the way it is.  There is less area to work with...placement of drivers within the available area....it is not an easy task.

Do you think you are making an overgeneralization?  I have a custom IEM with 8 drivers and another (in silicone) with 5 drivers that is 5-way and crammed in the shell.  Both sound amazing, and other than a fit issue of the upper concha part of my 5-way, they both fit just right.  It would appear to me, especially from reading the JH16 thread that it could be a single manufacturer may have issues with one particular model.  However, we really don't have enough data points to say IMO.  It appears the JH16 is the most popular custom IEM on head-fi, and with more in members hands, even if the percent of issues is the same as other brands/models from the same brand, there will be more members with issues.

May 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #29 of 59
Quote:
Well I just used a sine generator, and it seems like my left iem has no high drivers! Any frequencies above 16000 I can't even hear, even maxed, and I can hear up to 19000. The right side works fine up to 19000 on.

Ok, but what about frequencies of 16 kHz and below - can you hear them fine on both sides? Are they recessed compared to the bass and mids? Open an audio program and generate a 20 Hz- 20 kHz sine tone sweep of 30 sec - 1 min in length and listen to it. You should be able to tell whether there is anything wrong with the frequency response that way.

May 31, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 59

Quote:
I sent mine back in a week ago and JH has been AWOL on any updates.  I am irritated to say the least by the lack of reply.  How about at least an "Yes we received them and we are working on it and will get back to you soon."

My issue was the sound seems slightly off balance favoring the left side but I don't think it is a fit issue.  I guess this leaves either a dead driver or improper internal placement of drivers???  Not sure.

Sound seems like it is coming from behind me.  Imagine the face of a wall clock behind you.  Rather than 6:00 o'clock the sound seems centered around 7-7:30 o'clock.

I am no expert but I start to wonder if the high cost of multi-driver custom IEM's is much to do with covering the cost of re-fits which would seem more common with multi-driver versus a JH5 dual driver which would seem pretty straightforward and simple to get right first time (which they did with mine). 

sorry i just need to get this out aaaahhhh

haha, i laugh at your troubles and fade by comparison to others. my left side high driver failed, the sockets were loose (they had become a bit loose even with the stock cable only a few weeks after owning them) i made a cable with slightly larger solid pins and it was better, but that became a bit loose over almost a year as well, the housing had a couple hairline cracks form too (i have clear shells). the driver had failed separately though, seemingly unrelated to any physical event. kinda slowly, was weird. anyway i sent them back via a friend and they arrived at jh about 8-9 weeks ago and they arent even on the way back to me yet.

i'm responsible for about 1 week of that delay as they had to apply artwork while they were there and i hesitated on the design i had made and had to send a modified version. Zac was a pretty good communicator, but the rest...... Zac told me they were done and fixed, ready to be sent back and would ship in the next day or so. 1.5 weeks later i emailed them for an update and only then did they realize they had sent my jh13 to another person of the same name in Germany :rolleyes: this is with me going to great lengths to avoid such a situation, not because i have a common name. I labelled the package on the outside with a large print out, on the pelican case inside as well; I also included it in the letter to describe the problems i was having and in at least 1 email just to make sure. so whoever packed it, must have been literally looking at my correct address while sending it to the wrong address. i was flabbergasted!!

so anyway since they had sent via a pretty slow method, which itself is a bit slack for something this pricey and i had not received any word, or tracking, perhaps my Doppelganger did?; they still had not arrived by that stage and i figured it would take at least the same to return and gave them the space to deal with the other customer service nightmares they have going on. i emailed after a another 1.5 weeks and was told they had arrived in Germany and were on their way back, this without any update. It took me emailing them to find out, even though they had potentially lost my jh13 last time i heard from them. that was over 2.5 weeks ago now, I waited a week after that and have sent them >3 emails in this last week with no reply to any of them.

i'm going to call tomorrow if i dont hear anything, but i dont care what they have going on there with the jh3a, this type of 'service' and utter disregard for a customer they have already screwed over, seems to be par for the course these days. i have not posted anything until now out of professional courtesy and not wanting to add to the bad press they have been getting over the jh3a, but ive had enough and perhaps they might read this and realize they've really lost their way and that what is the point of having email if you dont use it, (or perhaps they use it selectively, which is a worse option) An international customer should not have to call in the middle of the night, just to get an update they should get without asking. in fact this post has now sat here in the edit window before sending for another 4 days now, i sent them another email 3 days ago....and....well.......

I'm so glad i didnt decide to get jh3a, i cannot imagine being that tied into a product, with the only option being sending it back for them to fix, perhaps even send it to asia. so let this be a warning to those considering it. the products are great, the support is equally horrendous

on a lighter note, i love these monitors and miss them like crazy, they have sounded fantastic since the moment i put them in for the first time, fit was perfect as the sound. they became my reference headphone and i have built my entire DIY home and portable headphone system around them. they produce a great sounding product over there, but that is not enough to have me coming back for more next time. apparently i have a T-shirt or Hoodie coming to make up for it...... but then that was 3 weeks ago

and finally to the OP, sorry for the rant in your thread. lets see if i can explain the email you got. i think something is definitely wrong, although i havent heard jh16, i would never expect them to sound as you describe, sounds like a fit+tuning error to me.

to decode your message from them. it sounds like the fit of one of your impressions were off and did not form a proper seal with the fake ear they use for tuning, so when they did the frequency sweep to get a baseline of the response of your monitors, it used this incorrect seal to compensate the tuning to match the ideal response curve, but this translated to an accentuated low frequency response when used with a better seal. you get me? in other words, to overcome the bad seal the transducer (or maybe the mic) put out a bump in the response so as to get the expected low frequency response and when they are used without this dip in the response of the actual ear canal, you get a bump in the lows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back