Just got my JH 16's Today - Something Wrong?
May 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #31 of 59
WOW. I'm shocked that JH's customer service has degraded that much. I was actually thinking about buying customs from them but I'll pass. Hope you get your jh13 soon.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #32 of 59
WOW indeed, i tried very hard and was VERY patient and VERY reluctant before posting this. i really didnt want to do it, but this experience has been so bad, that i do think i owed it to the community to say something. even if they were communicating it would be useless, but the fact they have just ignored the emails after making such an irresponsible mistake and didnt even notice they had made it till i emailed to ask when they would ship, well..... 

included in the emails were warnings that i had stayed quiet out of respect and knowing that they were very busy trying to get the jh3a ready, ,but that my resolve was being tested and i didnt even get an answer, previous to that just trying to get an answer from someone, anyone!! at jh required over a month trying to contact jerry for an opinion on whether sending them back was required when the problem just started and still got nothing until i sent an email to the whole company's addresses and i got an answer from Adam and Adam only. 

i have tried on numerous occasions, even when they were being answered to get a statement of what they had found wrong with them and what they had done to fix them, just so i could know that they had indeed read the description of the problem i had given and they werent just patching the sockets when the problem with the drivers persisted, i really didnt want to have to send them back again at the cost of 80aud and wait another 2 months because it hadnt been fixed. a simple answer that they had done a frequency response test would have done it, but the question, despite being hilighted and even put in the first line of at least one email, did not elicit a response, although others in the same message were. i gave up trying.

my intention is not vindictive, i do not wish to bring them down or anything like that, but they need to know that this type of treatment is unacceptable and just being very busy is not an excuse; if you are too busy to cope with the volume of orders you have, take on less orders or get help.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 59
It is when you see seasoned forum residents, like you Qusp, issuing a warning that things becomes obvious. I think we have now seen enough bad experience stories around here from JHA customers to realize something has gone wrong. Seems like the parcel reception-shipping part is the most critical at JHA, with lost or misaddressed parcels. The most disturbing is that a pattern is emerging, with communication being cut off after the parcel gets lost.

At least now, nobody can go with the lines of "that's normal, it takes time to make customs ... etc" that is usually served to "lower ranked headfier" (if I may say). I'm glad I decided against JHA a year ago, but I'm appalled to see such a big name go wrong on customer service.

Jun 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #34 of 59

[size=medium]
Indeed i'm not alone and thats sad 
frown.gif
, its sad that the name of such a talented designer has been tarnished so badly. Jerry used to reply to emails, I was never one to chew his ear off, but on occasion i had something to share, or ask of him and in general i would get an answer no matter where in the world he was and this certainly had its appeal when deciding between jh13 and es3x, pity when the chips are down i cannot rely on them at all. having a feeling of getting in on the ground floor with a company destined for good things is always a good feeling. i guess he must be at a point at the moment where he dreads to open the mailbox due to all the barely veiled and pent up frustration it must be full of.

what is even more sad, is that given recent events and ermm.... 'miscommunication', i even considered the possibility that the story of the iems being sent to another person with my name was made up, as seems to be familiar and perhaps because however tragic it sounds its better than the reality. i have no basis for this, but the mind wanders when you are left without response to such an important query on a LUXURY or rather with this level of service its just an expensive item (my name is not a common name, but not unheard of and i found it hard to fathom how the mistake was made given how many fail-safes i sent to prevent that happening)

i have had a couple of people tell me i should have given this more exposure by giving it a thread of its own; perhaps that is right and i had even started thinking about that today independently (and considered it before i wrote the post). I did it in this thread partially because it seemed appropriate, but also i guess i'm still covering for them and didnt want to make a big public deal of it. I feel bad for Jerry, i cant help but think he has just surrounded himself with the wrong people (yes men) and possibly has no idea how deep the rot goes. that doesnt however make him blameless, but you could see how being all over the place this last year and being obsessed with the jh3a and its many many issues , that you could miss that your core business is crumbling behind the scenes.

right now i'm very pissed off, much more than yesterday even, because i have a batch of iem cables i cannot test other than with my Dmm and I dont like that. utterly useless. i would post in the jh13 thread, but probably i would be attacked by fanbois 
[/size]

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #35 of 59
thanks for the thoughts guys, it really is quite troubling.  luckily i do have spare decent headphones that get rotation or i would be going insane. it had nothing to do with the cable, the stock cable was loose to the point of one falling off in a short time, thats why i initially made my own connectors rather than recycling the stock pins. i wish there was an option for having the sockets inset like the ue11, this provides strain relief that the jh just dont have, harder to keep clean apparently, but i would take grubby and fiddly to clean over absent every time.

Jun 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #36 of 59
I am done with customs too.  I think the incremental improvement does not even closely justify the cost.  Especially if you are not an amp person.  JH5 may be the lone exception.  Universals have gotten very good and quite frankly I find them more comfortable since they are so much lighter and forgiving on the fit.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #37 of 59

I had some issues with my $850 Westone ES3X two years ago. Westone made some pretty serious mistakes when shipping 3 of my 4 sets (3 re-fits) and there was one very serious QC issue Westone were not willing to acknowledge at the time. 

But, in all honesty, their customer service in the end was VERY GOOD and that was the ONLY reason I later went on to get a second set of UM3X & even later their new $450 universal W4.

Also - and I have to be very honest here - I wonder if I'd have had the same excellent level of CS if we didn't have the Internet these days. Westone, BTW, also knew I was a Head-fier who was pretty active on the "ES3X Appreciation" thread. Perhaps that also had something to do with the good service I ultimately got. But, in all fairness to Westone, there are far, FAR fewer horror stories to do with Westone's CS and/or QC than JH Audio.

It seems to me that some companies are still not aware of the TREMENDOUS importance, specially nowadays, of good Customer Service - just look at Amazon, a company that for years lost quite a bit of money, but they had a vision, a sound BUSINESS VISION, and the results of such a vision are there for all to see.

I've stated this several times before - a rather ignored and not very popular view on HF - that custom IEMs are, to a large extent, overrated. If anyone wants to comment on this particular issue, I strongly suggest they don't do it in this thread (not fair to the OP), but perhaps post their views on the subject here instead.

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #38 of 59
im going to agree with you on that music4321 customs i think are a bit overrated and people seem to hype them up to be some kind of god send.  Customs are really meant for stage use for muscians but does not mean they are better in sound quality than a pair of universals.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #39 of 59
^^ I think you're missing the point. I've already addressed (in a different thread) some of the issues you've mentioned here. Therefore, I won't comment any further.

Jun 1, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #40 of 59
And here I thought I was going to get the stick for blasphemy... Seems like things are changing a bit around here, hopefully JHA will understand they need to do something and hire some additional staff to solve the problem.

@OP I hope you get a functional pair very soon. Good luck with the CS at JHA.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #41 of 59
yep, love the 13's and this at least for me has zero to do with the perceived value, the um3x are a decent fill in, but they arent the 13's.i have to disagree with you and Bryan there. yes they were designed for stage use (so were high end in ear monitors in general), but not just for isolation, you can get equal isolation with universals with the right tip, but that fit is not always easy to attain; proper seal is a major part of sound quality, you also dont get any bone conduction with universals. anyway this is off topic from my off topic; no doubt i've succeeded in scaring the crap out of the OP. i also had a bad CS experience with the um3x when sending them back for Rma it took a few months as well, which is what sealed the deal of going with JH

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #42 of 59
I would like state a personal experience that JH16 is not that godly as everyone says they are.
I went through so much hassle and heartache with this
I waited, waited, refitted, waited and after a few months the left side dropped and was charged half price for it.
I NEVER took it off from the wire, babied it and it just fell off when i was traveling *waves fist*

Even when i was hearing the JH16s with good fit, it's just good. No 1000 virgins whispering to my ears as i thought i would get with the price.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #43 of 59
I too jumped onto the JH13 train around the same time as Qusp. My story is probably the same as many others so I won't bore with too many details but after so much negativity over refits, lack of and miscommunication the shine of owning the new flagship JH13's had well and truly worn off. I kept them after the 3rd refit but was never 100% happy with any part of either the process or colour/fit/finish and eventually I sold them on to another Head-fier who subsequently sent them to UM for remolding and they were never seen again. Maybe they were cursed or something... 

I'm now the proud owner of Westones new ES5's and I'm pleased to say the story couldn't be any more different. With the exception of the Earplug Store shipping the wrong colour cable (which they made good) the whole experience was minty! Lots of help and initial advice from Miranda at the Earplug Store, e-mails answered within hours, kept upto date with the whole process without prompting and then detailed tracking info about 4 weeks after sending my impressions off. When paying the sort of money that these high end customs cost, this is exactly the service we should all expect and the end result of my personal experience is that I will not ever buy from JHA again but if a new product comes along from Westone I would jump on it (via The Earplug Store) without blinking an eye.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #44 of 59
I have had them for about a month now but still liking them more than many full sized cans, for me they just do everything right and more. I only get to listen properly in the evenings and have had quite a few late ones coz I can't stop listening once I put them in (especially since getting the CLAS).

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #45 of 59
Oh man, sorry to hear about Qusp's troubles with JH and to the OP as well. This is not acceptable anymore to me. There are too many complains now and it just keeps piling up. Can't anybody from Head-fi do something about this CS issue? Just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back